skooljunkie

The Allen: Allen Pkwy/Gillette Mixed Use 6 acres

Visitor    123
11 minutes ago, skooljunkie said:

Was just talking about this site the other day.  Would hope they take the buffalo bayou foot traffic into consideration in the design. There is almost nothing walkable from the bayou in terms of food/beverage.

Urbannizer    30497

HBJ has more details:

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2016/06/22/mixed-use-development-slated-for-site-near-buffalo.html

Roberto Contreras, president and CEO of Houston-based DC Partners, told the Houston Business Journal he plans to start an approximately $500 million mixed-use development at the southeast corner of Allen Parkway and Gillette Street in early 2018. The 6.01-acre project is expected to feature a luxury hotel, housing, shops and an office tower. Gensler designed the overall master plan layout for the site.

The company, along with Tianqing Real Estate Development LLC, bought the property from HTX Real Estate Partners in a deal that closed in May. Contreras said he could not disclose the cost of the deal.

Contreras said the luxury hotel, the first phase of the project, would have about 150 to 180 rooms and would open around 2020.

• Like 6

EllenOlenska    419

And my dream of the west-facing view of Downtown getting a little less monolithic and a little more three dimensional is nudged closer to reality. 

• Like 2

Triton    8802
25 minutes ago, terra002 said:

That would be great. Maybe then we can get rid of Allen Parkway Villages. 

I'll let Houston19514 correct me here, but that can't be torn down because they fought to make them historic. I believe the central buildings are from the mid-1940s. I have a feeling those will be there for a while.

Nucleareaction    114

My fantasy, along the lines of this project, is something happening to the site at Montrose & Allen Parkway. If the Khan Foundation ever gives it up, I'd love to see a multi-purpose mall/residence/office space there. Tiers of restaurants facing the Bayou, sidewalk access, etc. At least this prime plot is getting the project it deserves!

I count between 35 to 45 stories for both. That is substantial height for Neartown. I'm excited for this and the developer mentioned two more towers that aren't in the rendering for the future after phase 1.

Edited by Sellanious Caesar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, terra002 said:

That's a shame...

Hey, it's a good selling feature for those who'll be interested in a condo here! Views of Downtown that will never be obstructed.

I love how they've placed so much on 6 acres, utilizing the plot very well. This is how you do a mixed-use development.

• Like 2

H-TownChris2    1873
2 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Resized for a better look:

28943847030_d386e78eb5_o.jpg

Is it me or do the buildings look like they were created in minecraft but with a texture/resource pack? 

• Like 2

I was just thinking last week that it would be great if Neartown's skyline doubled in size. 

Then today we find out about this!! 

* Neartown is the neighborhood west of DT on Allen Parkway. It's anchored by the cluster of office and condo buildings with the AIG building in the middle of it. It's the tall building with the flag pole and US flag on it and the surrounding skyscrapers and high rises. 

Also I look forward to the day when Upper Kirby and Neartown converge. Upper Kirby and Greenway Plaza already have converged. 

Edited by Sellanious Caesar
  • Like 1

So I guess I posted this in the wrong thread and it should go here:

On 8/17/2016 at 11:59 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

The luxury residential apartments could be called The Allen. A trademark was filed this month for the name from DC Partners under DCP Tian Qing Land Partners, LLC.

On 8/17/2016 at 1:21 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Country records show the purchased that property in May. The company name listed on county records for this, matches the name used for the trademark filing.

And yes @Urbannizer I saw your post that you edited yesterday by changing your original text that DC Partners wasn't involved to the following:

"

Trademark likely related to this. DC Partners is not involved with Regent Square.

"
Because that wasn't what you posted originally until more information on this project came up yesterday.

Thanks for directing me to the right thread.

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1

Luminare    1445

Jaw literally came off this morning! Fantastic news! True signs that Houston has defeated the Boom Bust cycle. Our city is growing up everyone. Enjoy.

• Like 4