803 Fannin Garage: Parking Garage At 803 Fannin St.

lockmat

I'm convinced this site could soon be a big time development.

Lionstone owns 3/4 of the site. The rest is owned by someone in NYC (49 W 45th St., floor 8, 10036.)

Its across the street from MainPlace, Texaco redevelopment, Club Quarters, Stowers Aloft. Next door to Meridian and tons of office spaces. A street over from Main/light rail and sits on rail on Rusk. A street over from the recently announced hotel conversion on Main/Rusk and the JW Marriot is also a street over on Main.

So much going for this site. The only downside is Meridians ugly garage and MainPlaces garage faces the lot.

What is Lionstone known for? I'm guessing hotel/resi.

Of course, they may have to wait until the other owner is ready to sell.

edit:

nevermind, they own the entire block.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some time ago I posted some photos in the Le Meridien thread of soil samples being done in that parking lot, so someone is at least considering building something.  Someone else mentioned rumors of a parking garage being considered for that lot.  I haven't seen or heard anything beyond that, though.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On August 18, 2016 at 3:29 PM, nate4l1f3 said:

You may have just jinx it.... 30 story parking garage

someone from a company working on this project was at the site today. Asked them what it was going to be and they said a parking garage.

what a joke.

It probably won't even have ground floor retail.  It will have two 2-way entrances, causing major gaps in the sidewalks for walk ability, right next to the new rail station and the new hotels and right across from the newly renovated Texaco building

4 hours ago, cspwal said:

It probably won't even have ground floor retail.  It will have two 2-way entrances, causing major gaps in the sidewalks for walk ability, right next to the new rail station and the new hotels and right across from the newly renovated Texaco building

after walking away I was kicking myself for not asking about gfr. But yeah, I highly doubt it.

I'd love to see GFR, but there is so much vacant GFR in the area (most of which has been vacant for at least 5 years) that it really wouldn't surprise me if they don't bother to put any in, unfortunately.  Let's keep our fingers crossed, though; with three vacant buildings nearby soon to be occupied, maybe there will finally be demand to fill the existing empty GFR, incentivizing the developer here to make room for some.

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 8:58 AM, rechlin said:

I'd love to see GFR, but there is so much vacant GFR in the area (most of which has been vacant for at least 5 years) that it really wouldn't surprise me if they don't bother to put any in, unfortunately.  Let's keep our fingers crossed, though; with three vacant buildings nearby soon to be occupied, maybe there will finally be demand to fill the existing empty GFR, incentivizing the developer here to make room for some.

Curious what spaces have been vacant for at least 5 years. Buildings in good shape and actively marketed? Or rotting corpses like Battelstein's?

Both.  I can think of 3 parking garages within a block or so that have vacant GFR, including the ~6 year old Walker@Main garage which even has the prime Walker at Main corner space open and never occupied (and the place taken by Enterprise was vacant until just this past year).

The Stowers building was in good shape and had nobody occupying its ground floor either.  Admittedly, the Texaco building and this one were in terrible shape but also had vacant GFR for decades.

With two new hotels (Aloft, Meridien) and Texaco about to hit the market as a 300+ unit residential building, one would think that the calculus is changing.  Crikey, for years there was no GFR to speak of anywhere on Main downtown, except for Foley's/Macy's, Chester Chicken, and a couple sketchy convenience stores.

• 4 weeks later...

Texaco is leasing ground floor space, the garage across Capitol from Texaco has a small space, the garage with Jimmy John's still has space, and the Indian restaurant on Main went out of business again, so there is all that to soak up any quick pop in foot traffic that will hopefully come in that immediate area. With the Skyhouses and Block 336 (?) open, I'm interested to see if anything new might sprout up in the parking lots further south and if the Market Square/Aris buildings help to fill in the open stuff further north.

Interesting times.

• 1 month later...

13-story parking garageeeeh

http://www.virtualbx.com/construction-preview/24375-houston-13-story-parking-garage-being-drawn-for-federal-district.html

Houston (Harris Co.) - Gensler is developing designs for a 13-story parking garage in downtown Houston's Federal District.

The facility owner will be Regency Main Parking LLC of Houston.

The project site is directly beside the Central Station Capitol EB (Red Line) light rail on Rusk Street. There is already a multi-story parking garage immediately adjacent to the project site; that is the 1110 Rusk Garage. 

The project will occupy a half block and the property boundaries are Rusk Street, Fannin Street and Walker Street. At present, the property is used for surface parking and the project address is Block 94 Garage, 803 Fannin Street.

According to state records, the project is scheduled to begin construction in February 2017 and be completed by February 2018. The estimated cost is $18 million.

The scope of work states this structure will be a precast system, and will provide parking for approximately 1,100 vehicles. The total area of the garage is to be 399,600 square feet.

The Gensler design architect of record is Kristopher Stuart.

files.php?file=RegencyParking_Houston_2_

files.php?file=RegencyGarge_map_85390330

6 minutes ago, rechlin said:

Probably from the US Customhouse across the street and the federal prison on the next block over.

Yeah, probably right. But pretty lame, especially since it is not actually across the street from the Custom house, and there is no "federal district" in downtown Houston.

6 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

I'm sure the Texaco building developer is not happy about this. If this had been done before the renovation, the Texaco building probably never would have gotten renovated.

The Texaco Building?

Any bets that this new garage finishes before the first Tenants move into Texa-way-slow?

I think they have one guy working the Texaco project now and he’s having to run up and down the crane all day, or something.  I’m actually getting nervous about that one as far as it has come, there is still a lot to do. If they ran out of money, it would be in nasty shape in the hole/parking garage area, though the building itself looks to be pretty much done on the exterior.

29 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

I think they have one guy working the Texaco project now and he’s having to run up and down the crane all day, or something.  I’m actually getting nervous about that one as far as it has come, there is still a lot to do. If they ran out of money, it would be in nasty shape in the hole/parking garage area, though the building itself looks to be pretty much done on the exterior.

Have you seen the lobby of Texaco? It's beautiful. I'll try to get some pictures next time I walk by. They look pretty close on everything but the hole / parking garage.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:21 AM, downtownian said:

Have you seen the lobby of Texaco? It's beautiful. I'll try to get some pictures next time I walk by. They look pretty close on everything but the hole / parking garage.

Have only caught glimpses and probably not that recently. It certainly had a ton of potential, good to hear that they are doing well with it.

On 12/9/2016 at 8:51 AM, Nate99 said:

I am flummoxed by how a building can be, what? Two years late, and still not be able to bring in tenants because the parking garage isn't finished.    

if they are not waiting for the garage, then that means that the inside units are still not ready to lease.  Wow!  They must have hit some really challenging things with this building to be so far behind schedule and still waiting for a parking garage to occupy a hole that was already excavated for them.

they aren't even "pre-leasing" right now are they?

Archived