AC Hotel By Marriott At 723 Main St.

Urbannizer

1 hour ago, Specwriter said:

Sonokrete is an acoustical finish. It should not change the look of the original plaster ceiling but hopefully attenuate the reflected sound in the space. Vaulted, and especially domed, ceilings can do some wonderful acoustic "tricks" like reflecting a quite conversation to the opposite of the room. 

Considering the building's age and the word "original," as well as the phrase "taking on a modern look," it sounds like the building originally had a detailed plaster ceiling of the type in vogue in the early 20th century. It looks from the photo like there is no detail, leading me to wonder if it was covered over. Is Sonokrete something that would hide details?

It may be however that any detail was lost when the building was renovated in the 50's-60's and they are mistakenly using the word "original."

21 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Considering the building's age and the word "original," as well as the phrase "taking on a modern look," it sounds like the building originally had a detailed plaster ceiling of the type in vogue in the early 20th century. It looks from the photo like there is no detail, leading me to wonder if it was covered over. Is Sonokrete something that would hide details?

It may be however that any detail was lost when the building was renovated in the 50's-60's and they are mistakenly using the word "original."

Sonokrete can be applied from 1/4 to 3/4 inches thick depending on how much sound attenuation is desired. So, yes, it can hide some finer details on original plaster. Looking at the image on this thread I expect there wasn't much, if any, fine detail to begin with but I am not certain.

• 2 months later...

I want to win the lottery or publishers clearing house because for a long time I have been serious about putting a Dunkin Donuts somewhere in downtown. This hotel would of probably been a good place for one of them. I just feel like a DD would bank in downtown. I also put one in at UH main. 

Edited by cougarpad

1 hour ago, cougarpad said:

I want to win the lottery or publishers clearing house because for a long time I have been serious about putting a Dunkin Donuts somewhere in downtown. This hotel would of probably been a good place for one of them. I just feel like a DD would bank in downtown. I also put one in at UH main. 

There is already one in the tunnels under 1000 Main. Seems to do alright. 

• Like 2

Downtown Starbucks locations:

• 1100 Louisiana (5 am - 5:30 pm, M-F)
  • In the springhill/courtyard by marriott in the old Humble building (5:30 am - 6 pm M-F, 5:30 am - 7 pm Sat, 5 am - 3 pm Sun)
  • In the Hilton Americas (6 am - 8 pm, everyday)
  • There's one in GRB, but I don't know if its normally accessible if there's not event going on
  • 3rd floor in Shops at Houston Center (5:30 am - 6 pm M-F, 9 am - 1 pm Sat)
  • 4th floor in Shops at Houston Center (5:30 am - 6 pm M-F)
  • Tunnels in one shell plaza (5:30 am - 5 pm M-F)
  • Tunnels in Penzoil (5 am - 5 pm M-F)
  • Tunnels Chase tower (5:30 am - 5 pm M-F)
  • UH-Downtown (7 am - 7:30 pm M-R, 7 am - 5 pm F, 8 am - 5 pm sat)

So there's only 2 that are open all week, and only 2 more that are open on Saturday

Interesting thing is that there isn't a single Starbucks between Texas ave and buffalo bayou, and only 3/10 of them are in the tunnels

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2019 at 10:02 AM, cougarpad said:

I was thinking DD as an alternative to Starbucks. DD coffee is just as good and lower priced. 

This town has actually started to get some solid local cafes, and coffee shop brands going. Starbucks is fine for the Convention Center area, around the ballparks, and maybe the central light rail station on main, but beyond that should be more local brands and cafes.

• Like 3

On 6/28/2019 at 8:06 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

P05NQo4.jpg

The awning seems about done now.

I am super curious with all the scaffolding gone, will this look light / airy / modern? Its not my favorite building, but I am trying to respect it

• Like 1

FWIW, the trim on the outside of the awning is shiny. I am guessing it had a protective film over it for shipping/installation in the pic above. 

I could not tell you if that makes it any more or less light/airy/modern. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

FWIW, the trim on the outside of the awning is shiny. I am guessing it had a protective film over it for shipping/installation in the pic above. 

I could not tell you if that makes it any more or less light/airy/modern. 

What is your take on the building? I think I am landing pretty neutral. just the exterior, it is pretty flat. I much prefer the Melrose / Le Meridian for this time period / style.

4 minutes ago, Avossos said:

What is your take on the building? I think I am landing pretty neutral. just the exterior, it is pretty flat. I much prefer the Melrose / Le Meridian for this time period / style.

I guess I'm with you, but I'm certainly no style critic. It doesn't really strike me as remarkable, good or bad.  If they clean it up and have decent business, it will be a big plus for the area. 

This is another corner that is completely transformed. Prior to the demolition of the abandoned warehouse at 811 Main to now, it has turned from one of the sketchiest blocks in town to the spot where you take the picture for an ideal downtown Houston street scene. I can't help but think the Battelstein building will get fixed up soon. 

Went by on the train last night. I think it looks...like they need something to kind of POP out at you. It kind of looks like they dusted off an old building, which in itself should have some charm to it (like some buildings in San Antonio), but when you're trying to revitalize attract people to an area that was used to be a bit slow, maybe thats not the best route to take. I dunno, it might look better once they take off all the protective stuff and reveal all of the outer space.

If your're on or near the train lines, I would think you would want your place to stand out. Access to the rail is key for guests, so I understand why you would make it a hotel, but maybe theres value in making it...inviting/interesting to non-hotel guests. Hopefully this does that when the lights turn on. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Chronicle is reporting that it opens on the 28th of July.

When this opens and the bar is well lit and available, it would be kind of a game-changer that area. At this point a person could stay there, go to finn hall for food, walk to the bars further down on main, take the train to the museums and park, and call it a weekend and be like "Houston's pretty cool." All without a car. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, X.R. said:

The Chronicle is reporting that it opens on the 28th of July.

When this opens and the bar is well lit and available, it would be kind of a game-changer that area. At this point a person could stay there, go to finn hall for food, walk to the bars further down on main, take the train to the museums and park, and call it a weekend and be like "Houston's pretty cool." All without a car. 

I agree that it is cool but game changer is a little overstated. People could do that at the JW across the street ($189 / night) or the Club Quarters ($130 / night) compared to this at $129 / night. Plenty of other boutique hotels around Main Street as well with a lot closer to the central bar area.

• Like 2