Why No Cable Networks Based In Houston?

citykid09

New Jersey is home to CNBC, Knoxville is home to Jewelry Television, and Cincinnati is where all the Scripps networks (HGTV, Food Network) are based.

Actually, even though Scripps is based in Cincinnati, HGTV and Food Network are both based out of Knoxville (or at least they were as of two years ago when my friend was doing a show for them). That's part of the reason why they have so many Georgian chefs -- proximity to Atlanta.

MSNBC is out of New Jersey, too.

What does that mean for Texas? The networks would love to have HQ's in Texas because of its central location, easy southern climate, lower taxes, lower living costs and a host of other things, but the unions are too strong. They won't allow a network center to open with hundreds -- or thousands -- of employees who can tell the union to take a hike, but still get pay and benefits that are close to what the union people in other states are making. Yes, a network could decide to go to war with the unions on this and move to Texas anyway, but so far none has shown any willingness to try.

NBC is trying.

Almost all of the graphics for all of the local and national TV shows on all of the NBC owned and operated stations across the country are done by artists in Dallas. The producer in New York or LA or wherever gets on the phone or e-mails Dallas telling them what graphics they need, and the Dallas artist makes it for them.

Kind of like outsourcing to India. Except, to a much hotter, dirtier place... Dallas.

Here's why no American national network is HQ'd in Houston. Think "Unions".

Texas is a Right to Work state, which means it has a state law that says you don't have to join a union in order to get a job. In states that don't have a Right to Work Law law, such as New York, California, Illinois, and a bunch of others, the national network HQ's are locked up tight as a drum by the broadcast industry trade unions, and union membership is a requirement for employment. (Actually, you can GET a job without being a union member, but you can't KEEP it if you don't join the union within 30 days .)

What does that mean for Texas? The networks would love to have HQ's in Texas because of its central location, easy southern climate, lower taxes, lower living costs and a host of other things, but the unions are too strong. They won't allow a network center to open with hundreds -- or thousands -- of employees who can tell the union to take a hike, but still get pay and benefits that are close to what the union people in other states are making. Yes, a network could decide to go to war with the unions on this and move to Texas anyway, but so far none has shown any willingness to try.

The Right to Work Law is the reason that unions have never been strong in Texas.

Somehow, I don't think this is the reason. Texas doesn't outlaw unions. In fact, 3 of the largest US airlines are HQ'd in Texas, and they are all heavily unionized.

Somehow, I don't think this is the reason. Texas doesn't outlaw unions. In fact, 3 of the largest US airlines are HQ'd in Texas, and they are all heavily unionized.

You're right. Texas does not outlaw unions, but it does outlaw the Union Shop.

A person cannot be required to join a union to get a job or keep one. Yes a number of big companies have HQ's in Texas, and they are unionized, but they have zero clout. State laws are stacked against unions. It's why you never hear anything about labor unions or strikes in Texas. It's the same way in all the Right to Work states.

Here's a little test. The next time you find yourself talking to a hardcore union type, ask him or her how they stand on 14.B, and then stand back.

Repealing section 14.B of the Taft Hartley Act is the number one goal and dream of all American labor unions. That's the section that allows states to pass Right to Work laws, and every labor union in the country has made repeal of 14.B their mission in life. They should live so long.

• 4 weeks later...
Almost all of the graphics for all of the local and national TV shows on all of the NBC owned and operated stations across the country are done by artists in Dallas. The producer in New York or LA or wherever gets on the phone or e-mails Dallas telling them what graphics they need, and the Dallas artist makes it for them.

Kind of like outsourcing to India. Except, to a much hotter, dirtier place... Dallas.

Ouch..it's not that dirty..but it has been hot...anyway...you're right about the graphics in the DFW market. KXAS 5 is an NBC owned and operated station which helped them to secure the graphics "contract" so to speak. CBS 11 here is also an owned and operated station and I read somewhere that they would like to have the same ability as NBC 5 but obviously do it for the CBS O&O's.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, there is one cable network headquarted and produced here - The Anime Network (www.theanimenetwork.com). I think they are out on the NW side somewhere. They also import a large amount of the Anime for the US market I believe. Probably a bit more "niche" than most, but a network none the less.

Actually, there is one cable network headquarted and produced here - The Anime Network (www.theanimenetwork.com). I think they are out on the NW side somewhere. They also import a large amount of the Anime for the US market I believe. Probably a bit more "niche" than most, but a network none the less.

Thats good to know! Are they new?

Thats good to know! Are they new?

I believe they were started by ADV Films, which is based in Houston and is involved in the import of Anime - in addition to the cable channel, they do dubbing of Japanese Anime for the US market. A friend of my wife is a producer there - from what she has told us it sounds like a pretty sophisticated operation. You can get a sense of the scope of their business at the corporate profile on their website: http://www.advfilms.com/FILMSabout.asp

• 1 month later...

HEY!! hell yeah i remember channel 5 (Hit Video USA). Wow most people that i ask act like they don't have an clue as what the H#Ll i'm talking about. for years i have wondered where to go looking for clips , vids, or even archaives of the show. i anyone knows please, let me know dorp me a line either at djosss@juno.com or www.freewebs.com/djsoss on the blog/froum.

________________________________________________________________________________

_

I too very much remember Hit Video USA. I have tried to research it, with no success. I lived in Montrose in 1985/86 and the reception I got was excellent compared to the folks in the suburbs. I know their office was located in the Wells Fargo Building, downtown (then Allied Bank Plaza). I remember VJs Greg Johnson and EJ Thacker. I sent Greg a fan letter saying how much I liked him and loved the station and he sent me an autographed picture of himself back which I still have today. They played a lot of videos that MTV and VH1 did not. I moved to New York in 1986 for the next 13 years so have no idea how long it lasted.

I too would love ANY information on whatever happened to it, it's VJ's. I also would LOVE to get ahold of some clips, vids or archives of the show. I don't think MTV ran them out of business because MTV was already around and I remember Ch. 5 debuting in '85 or '86, I just don't know when it ended.

Archived