Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
citykid09

Why No Cable Networks Based In Houston?

40 posts in this topic

Remember Hit Video USA?

HitVideoOffice.jpg

Why doesn't Houston have Cable TV Networks?

There use to be Hit Video USA in Houston, but MTV took over and ran them out of business. Just think if it would have been oppisite, Hit Video USA would be like the MTV of today and Houston could have all types of shows taped there. Celebrities and tourist would come from all over. It would be great.

There was (and may still be) a big sign on a building at the northwest corner of the 59 Southwest Freeway/610 interchange a few months ago that said "Future Headquarters of Univision." I know they're in Miami, but the way the sign was worded made it sound like they were moving here. I haven't seen anything in any of the local media about such a move but I could have easily missed it. I don't know if the sign is still there or not since I never drive up the Southwest Freeway from that part of town anymore.

Univision already was over near the old WB Ch 39.

I think it's just a move.

There was some wrangling with the Univision investors last year, and I think the headquarters is moving from Miami to Los Angeles.

But, still -- why are there no cable nets in Houston? After New York, do you know where most of the cable networks are headquartered? How about New Jersey, Knoxville, and Cincinnati! What's up with that?

CNN is in Atlanta, thats all I know...

But WB, FOX, UPN and such have news stations here, with anchors and what not... does that count?

I believe he was talking about having networks headquartered here, rather than just local affiliates.

I believe he was talking about having networks headquartered here, rather than just local affiliates.

Yes just headquarters.

Houston hasn't really been a major media center... So I wouldn't count on it.

I wonder what it would take to develope a National Network in Houston or enen a new show like the Debra Duncan Talk Show? Is it Possible?

I think back when the cable company here was Prime Cable before Time Warner took over, there used to be Prime Sports. I don't know if a regional sports network division counts as locally HQd, but Houston is home to the Southwest division of Fox Sports Net. BTW, where

CNN is in Atlanta, thats all I know...

Also home to TBS Superstation, Cartoon Network and TNT

Mabe channel 51 could go nationwide!

*checks last posted date*

Hmm..maybe no one cares! Channel 51 sucks.

I think Univision is moving from their North Loop location and moving all the Houston radio and tv operations to the new 59 south location.

Are they done remodeling? Last I saw it, it still had the garbage chute sticking out of a window.

HEY!! hell yeah i remember channel 5 (Hit Video USA). Wow most people that i ask act like they don't have an clue as what the H#Ll i'm talking about. for years i have wondered where to go looking for clips , vids, or even archaives of the show. i anyone knows please, let me know dorp me a line either at djosss@juno.com or www.freewebs.com/djsoss on the blog/froum. :D

There was some wrangling with the Univision investors last year, and I think the headquarters is moving from Miami to Los Angeles.

But, still -- why are there no cable nets in Houston? After New York, do you know where most of the cable networks are headquartered? How about New Jersey, Knoxville, and Cincinnati! What's up with that?

New Jersey is home to CNBC, Knoxville is home to Jewelry Television, and Cincinnati is where all the Scripps networks (HGTV, Food Network) are based.

Atlanta also has a major cable presence, and it's not just Ted Turner's empire (CNN, TBS, TNT, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim)...but also The Weather Channel.