Why No Cable Networks Based In Houston?

citykid09

Remember Hit Video USA?

HitVideoOffice.jpg

Why doesn't Houston have Cable TV Networks?

There use to be Hit Video USA in Houston, but MTV took over and ran them out of business. Just think if it would have been oppisite, Hit Video USA would be like the MTV of today and Houston could have all types of shows taped there. Celebrities and tourist would come from all over. It would be great.

There was (and may still be) a big sign on a building at the northwest corner of the 59 Southwest Freeway/610 interchange a few months ago that said "Future Headquarters of Univision." I know they're in Miami, but the way the sign was worded made it sound like they were moving here. I haven't seen anything in any of the local media about such a move but I could have easily missed it. I don't know if the sign is still there or not since I never drive up the Southwest Freeway from that part of town anymore.

There was some wrangling with the Univision investors last year, and I think the headquarters is moving from Miami to Los Angeles.

But, still -- why are there no cable nets in Houston? After New York, do you know where most of the cable networks are headquartered? How about New Jersey, Knoxville, and Cincinnati! What's up with that?

• 2 weeks later...

I think back when the cable company here was Prime Cable before Time Warner took over, there used to be Prime Sports. I don't know if a regional sports network division counts as locally HQd, but Houston is home to the Southwest division of Fox Sports Net. BTW, where

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

HEY!! hell yeah i remember channel 5 (Hit Video USA). Wow most people that i ask act like they don't have an clue as what the H#Ll i'm talking about. for years i have wondered where to go looking for clips , vids, or even archaives of the show. i anyone knows please, let me know dorp me a line either at djosss@juno.com or www.freewebs.com/djsoss on the blog/froum. :D

• 5 weeks later...
There was some wrangling with the Univision investors last year, and I think the headquarters is moving from Miami to Los Angeles.

But, still -- why are there no cable nets in Houston? After New York, do you know where most of the cable networks are headquartered? How about New Jersey, Knoxville, and Cincinnati! What's up with that?

New Jersey is home to CNBC, Knoxville is home to Jewelry Television, and Cincinnati is where all the Scripps networks (HGTV, Food Network) are based.

Atlanta also has a major cable presence, and it's not just Ted Turner's empire (CNN, TBS, TNT, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim)...but also The Weather Channel.

Houston hasn't really been a major media center... So I wouldn't count on it.

I disagree. Houston's had more national and international news stories coming out of it than Chicago, Atlanta, Knoxville, Miami, New Jersey, and Orlando, yet all have network headquarters there and Houston doesn't.

My question is this: if we had a network HQ located here, what would it be? A network about religion? Music? Major spanish network? A network based on Texans (call it Lone Star Network)?

Or what would Houston offer that would entice any major networks to want to relocate here? Any would it be city council or private busnesses that would try to lure it? Is that a priority to city leaders?

I disagree. Houston's had more national and international news stories coming out of it than Chicago, Atlanta, Knoxville, Miami, New Jersey, and Orlando, yet all have network headquarters there and Houston doesn't.

Iraq has us all beat, but do you think they ponder why no news company has it's HQ's there?

Iraq has us all beat, but do you think they ponder why no news company has it's HQ's there?

They have news companies HQed there. There just not American.

I think Houston does have some cable and TV networks based here. Like that horse network channel (or something like that)

and that new Mexican channel that launched thats HQed in Houston.

But those two are new and not developed, and who wants to watch a horse channel and a Spanish channel.

They have news companies HQed there. There just not American.

I think Houston does have some cable and TV networks based here. Like that horse network channel (or something like that)

and that new Mexican channel that launched thats HQed in Houston.

But those two are new and not developed, and who wants to watch a horse channel and a Spanish channel.

I don't know, let me take a stab at it....the equine inclined, and, umm......Hispanics?

Just a guess. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know, let me take a stab at it....the equine inclined, and, umm......Hispanics?

Just a guess. :huh:

Here's why no American national network is HQ'd in Houston. Think "Unions".

Texas is a Right to Work state, which means it has a state law that says you don't have to join a union in order to get a job. In states that don't have a Right to Work Law law, such as New York, California, Illinois, and a bunch of others, the national network HQ's are locked up tight as a drum by the broadcast industry trade unions, and union membership is a requirement for employment. (Actually, you can GET a job without being a union member, but you can't KEEP it if you don't join the union within 30 days .)

What does that mean for Texas? The networks would love to have HQ's in Texas because of its central location, easy southern climate, lower taxes, lower living costs and a host of other things, but the unions are too strong. They won't allow a network center to open with hundreds -- or thousands -- of employees who can tell the union to take a hike, but still get pay and benefits that are close to what the union people in other states are making. Yes, a network could decide to go to war with the unions on this and move to Texas anyway, but so far none has shown any willingness to try.

The Right to Work Law is the reason that unions have never been strong in Texas.

Archived