A new ballpark in Arlington

Updated renders and model of Globe Life Field. Honestly not a fan of this design. For $1.2 billion, hometown architect HKS & the Rangers could’ve come up with a better design then a retro version Marlins Park. 

https://twitter.com/globelifefield/status/1067480024519979008?s=21

https://twitter.com/krldandrewg/status/1067470800457003009?s=21

3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

It's not as well placed as Minute Maid in downtown Houston. This is in the middle of suburbia. 

I can agree with that. There is lots of space just south of downtown where they could have put it. Actually I believe the Dallas mayor was interested in bringing the Rangers to downtown D but focused on other projects. The Rangers in the middle of DFW keeps all those other people to the west happy.

2 hours ago, cspwal said:

On the other hand, the Ranger's new stadium is more likely to happen

This is BIG that we are talking about here. Pretty good track record of getting these kinds of designs built, and as rendered.

• 2 months later...

Wow, how pathetic, The Cubs and Red Sox are playing in stadiums over 100 years old, so venerable that they are national landmarks, meanwhile here in Texas, once a stadium reaches the age that, were it human, would just barely be old enough to rent a car, and the team calls on the city to tear it down and build a new one - and the cities usually acquisece and build new ones. But not at the expense of the teams that use them, of course. An organization that spends $93 million a year on salaries for 15 people couldn't possibly be expected to pay for its own stadium, so let's jack up sales and hotel taxes for all the little people. 🙄

Edited by Reefmonkey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Reefmonkey said:

Wow, how pathetic, The Cubs and Red Sox are playing in stadiums over 100 years old, so venerable that they are national landmarks, meanwhile here in Texas, once a stadium reaches the age that, were it human, would just barely be old enough to rent a car, and the team calls on the city to tear it down and build a new one - and the cities usually acquisece and build new ones. But not at the expense of the teams that use them, of course. An organization that spends $93 million a year on salaries for 15 people couldn't possibly be expected to pay for its own stadium, so let's jack up sales and hotel taxes for all the little people. 🙄

I don't like the ballpark in Arlington for a few reasons. One, once you're inside, you feel like you're in a box; can't see anything outside the stadium. Two, it's in the middle of a gigantic parking lot with nothing nearby. Only way to access it is by car.

43 minutes ago, lockmat said:

I don't like the ballpark in Arlington for a few reasons. One, once you're inside, you feel like you're in a box; can't see anything outside the stadium. Two, it's in the middle of a gigantic parking lot with nothing nearby. Only way to access it is by car.

Is there really that much to see in Arlington anyway? The coasters at Six Flags? 😉 I know what you mean though. I went to one or two games there when I was in college, back when it was brand new. The only other ballpark I had ever known was the Astrodome. I actually liked Arlington's architectural style, felt like classic Americana style at the time, especially compared to the Astrodome's 60s Modernism. I was also struck by how different it was to go to a baseball game at an outdoor park, felt to me like what it should be. Of course, it was a night game, and during the school year, so not yet in the heat of summer. Since we were college students, of course we had to climb up into the nosebleeds, and that's the other thing that struck me, how steep it was, so I can imagine that would contribute to the "boxed in" feeling you're talking about.

I can definitely see the appeal of moving it to Dallas where it would be accessible by DART rail. I guess though all the pro-stadium boosters did a good job of laying on the usual scare tactics of what would happen if the Rangers left Arlington to spook Arlington voters into approving another boondoggle to keep them there.

1 hour ago, Reefmonkey said:

Is there really that much to see in Arlington anyway? The coasters at Six Flags? 😉 I know what you mean though. I went to one or two games there when I was in college, back when it was brand new. The only other ballpark I had ever known was the Astrodome. I actually liked Arlington's architectural style, felt like classic Americana style at the time, especially compared to the Astrodome's 60s Modernism. I was also struck by how different it was to go to a baseball game at an outdoor park, felt to me like what it should be. Of course, it was a night game, and during the school year, so not yet in the heat of summer. Since we were college students, of course we had to climb up into the nosebleeds, and that's the other thing that struck me, how steep it was, so I can imagine that would contribute to the "boxed in" feeling you're talking about.

I can definitely see the appeal of moving it to Dallas where it would be accessible by DART rail. I guess though all the pro-stadium boosters did a good job of laying on the usual scare tactics of what would happen if the Rangers left Arlington to spook Arlington voters into approving another boondoggle to keep them there.

The architecture was decent. I would have liked it better if it wasn't enclosed and had a view of outside the stadium.

17 hours ago, Reefmonkey said:

But DART already goes to DFW, which isn’t too far away from everything in Arlington, as well as TRE which gets within 7 miles. Arlington could probably make some sort of circulating system from DFW to the TRE station, and then hit 6 flags, cowboys stadium, globelife, as well as hotels and parking lots 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Luxurious, resort-style residential development coming near Globe Life Field, Choctaw Stadium and AT&T Stadium

A new 300-unit, upscale resort-style residential unit is coming to Arlington.

The development is called "One Rangers Way," lying right in the heart of the Arlington Entertainment District near Globe Life Field, Choctaw Stadium and AT&T Stadium. 

The Texas Rangers and The Cordish Companies announced new details for the residential community on Friday, adding to the momentum of new development in the area that began with the opening of Texas Live! in 2018. 

The project adds to the nearly $1 billion of new development currently under construction in the Entertainment District that includes the forthcoming Loews Arlington Hotel & Convention Center and National Medal of Honor Museum, which recently broke ground on March 25, officials said in a press release.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/money/consumer/one-rangers-way-arlington-residential-development/287-34c15a28-5dc1-40f7-8344-0ea733ae50ec

a1f9fb16-204c-40d8-a3a3-ea1b362e9f4e_750x422.jpg

a78abe0d-4483-4ef3-9198-71349197aed0_1140x641.jpg

b829cb03-10cb-4947-aac0-aa94e5410053_1140x641.jpg

• Like 2