HISD Trustees Green-Light The Ok To Rename 8 Schools

Blue Dogs

8 names that have adorned Houston school buildings, uniforms, & yearbooks for decades will be vanished forever next year after trustees came together last night to approve new ones without Confederate ties.

The renaming decisions followed months of controversy that had split the school board, heightened racial tensions, & fueled mixed reactions from parents, students & alumni. Before the votes Thursday, however, the 4 trustees who initially opposed the renaming process, criticizing the lack of community input, said they would back away from their resistance; in some cases, they abstained.

"Let's come together & take this energy & really steer it toward our students," said trustee Greg Meyers, who previously opposed the renaming items, "We'll get past this. No matter what the name, it's what happens inside."

Here's the list of the renamed schools:

Margaret Long Wisdom High School (currently Lee High School)

Meyerland Performing & Visual Arts Middle School (currently Johnston Middle School)

Yolanda Black Navarro Middle School of Excellence (currently Jackson Middle School)

Heights High School (currently Reagan High School)

Audrey Hoffman Lawson Middle School (currently Dowling Middle School)

Bob Lanier Middle School (currently Sidney Lanier Middle School)

Northside High School (currently Davis High School)

Tanglewood Middle School (currently Grady Middle School)

Any thoughts on the new changes ?

http://abc13.com/education/hisd-approves-name-changes-for-seven-schools/1336016/

HISD's budget is $100 million short due to the Legislature not renewing the Robin Hood exemption, and they choose to spend money on renaming? Led by Jolanda Jones, one of the more divisive figures in Houston politics. One of the most stupid, moronic, and idiotic events ever, in Houston. I am not happy at all about this.

The little old ladies from the "United Daughters of the Confederacy" were the big pushers for these building names back when they were constructed. I don't believe the school board members back then were Confederate sympathizers, or for that case even racists. These guys just couldn't say no, or saw no reason to say no to these ladies. It would have been disrespectful to go against their wishes, or kind of like talking back to your grandmother.

I'm indifferent about these proposed names changes. I have no problem with naming schools after the neighborhood they are built in, such as Northside, Eastside, Westside and so forth. But renaming a school after it has been called one thing for several decades does seem kind of needless. Why not wait until the building itself becomes obsolete, or outlasts it's purpose and is torn down. Then rename it. 

On 5/13/2016 at 3:31 PM, Blue Dogs said:

Heights High School (currently Reagan High School)

I don't understand why they didn't take the easy way out on this and rename it "Ronald Reagan High School"

Or even "Ronald Reagan High School for Political Science and the Performing Arts"

In a budget crunch......thinking 'outside the box' as it were,as a money saving gesture........ You'd think the Board would have found Historical figures with same last as those that were due to be changed.....like happened with Lanier. Surely there are 'acclaimed',politically correct ,conflict neutral, Historical ( or contmporary) names  just waiting to be discovered. :)

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:32 AM, cspwal said:

I don't understand why they didn't take the easy way out on this and rename it "Ronald Reagan High School"

Or even "Ronald Reagan High School for Political Science and the Performing Arts"

Exactly. Considering Ronald Reagan is one of my favorite Presidents!

Richard Henry Lee High School (or maybe Harper Lee High School)

Robert H. Jackson Middle School

Ronald Reagan Middle School

Benjamin O. Davis High School

That was with me just quickly looking up surnames for a few of them. The other option is to just adopt the New York method and number the schools.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:13 PM, Ross said:

HISD's budget is $100 million short due to the Legislature not renewing the Robin Hood exemption, and they choose to spend money on renaming? Led by Jolanda Jones, one of the more divisive figures in Houston politics. One of the most stupid, moronic, and idiotic events ever, in Houston. I am not happy at all about this.

The pussyfooting agitator Jolanda Jones & her cohorts are IDIOTS for doing this. When is she up for reelection ?

• The title was changed to HISD Trustees Green-Light The Ok To Rename 8 Schools

Archived