CrockpotandGravel

2200 Main St & 2211 Travis St

CrockpotandGravel    4,253

Previously in the More Coming to Midtown thread but created here so we can all keep track of this development in one place:

On 5/5/2016 at 1:58 AM, Urbannizer said:

2200 Main

12,600 sq ft of retail. Phase II of Alexan Midtown was proposed for this block.

W6pPrxx.jpg

1QKmaON.jpg

SvY6Z6S.jpg

This is a new development from The Oxberry Group (Tarakaan)

1JepGTa.jpg

811ix2J.jpg

Lks6mEq.jpg

r1faur6.jpg

GMHm8ic.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 4

corbs315    279

Page 7 of that PDF is interesting.  Haven't seen some of those mentioned around here (namely the Winther one at La Branch and Webster).

hindesky    18,681

Both bus stations will need to leave if this is going to thrive. They tend to drag everything down in the area.

• Like 1

HoustonIsHome    1,242
On 5/15/2016 at 4:22 PM, hindesky said:

Both bus stations will need to leave if this is going to thrive. They tend to drag everything down in the area.

I have said it a million times,  these stations are victims of their surroundings,  their surroundings are not victims of this station.

You think that the homeless charities will disappear in the absence of these stations? I don't think so. 

You think the shelters will go because greyhound was moved? Don't think so? 

You think the food drop offs will stop if the buses no longer stop there? Think again. 

The homeless are at greyhound because it is part of homelesd life in that area (constant influx of new people to ask for money) but that area is NOT filled with homeless because of the stations.  The stations alone do not generate enough change for the homeless in order for so many of them to thrive. They thrive in that area because of the many churches,  shelters,  charities and food drops in the area.

As for this development,  i wish it well.  It will be a pioneer for that immediate area for that type of facility

• Like 4

Sanjorade    164

Although nothing has happened with this project, I believe it is headed up by the Oxberry Group. They are responsible for the now closed Tarakaan restaurant across the street that is being changed into something else as well as the Mondrian in the Museum District.

• Like 2

Sanjorade    164

The lot now has signs and a payment kiosk for parking. Not sure if development is going through anytime soon. Any word on the variance request?

Urbannizer    32,705

The number of homeless people hanging around this building has spiked after the city cleared out the 59 underpass.

• Like 1

j_cuevas713    1,196
On 12/22/2016 at 0:01 PM, Urbannizer said:

The number of homeless people hanging around this building has spiked after the city cleared out the 59 underpass.

I just filed a complaint to the city. I'm glad they fenced off that area under 59 but NOW all those homeless wander my neighborhood. And they trash everything in their path. 

• Like 1

terra002    117

I noticed this building was fenced off this morning. Not sure if its about to start demolition or just to keep the bums out. 

• Like 1

nate4l1f3    486
3 hours ago, terra002 said:

I noticed this building was fenced off this morning. Not sure if its about to start demolition or just to keep the bums out. 

Noticed that too. They boarded up the windows not that long ago now followed by the fence. 

Posted (edited)

2211 Travis St is located in Midtown behind the Shell gas station, a block over from the Greyhound bus terminal and Midtown Central Square.

It was a body shop for Downtown Body Shop. Now it's a lot used for paid parking.

Z1NBvR7.jpg

Photos from Google Maps of the parking lot:

1kCQq05.jpg

CUPE2L5.jpg

8LMOIU3.jpg

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, corbs315 said:

So....2200 Main never took off..

Thanks! That's why the lot looked familiar. Mods, please merge with the 2200 Main St thread below:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/33545-2200-main-st/

Merge with this thread, I changed the title to include the addresses for both.
http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/33545-2200-main-st-2211-travis-st/

Subdude    1,297
13 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Thanks! That's why the lot looked familiar. Mods, please merge with the 2200 Main St thread below:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/33545-2200-main-st/

Merge with this thread, I changed the title to include the addresses for both.
http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/33545-2200-main-st-2211-travis-st/

Done

Diaspora    31

Does anyone know if the departure from the original design requires reapplication of the variance process?