Drewery Place: Multifamily High-Rise At 2850 Fannin St.

Urbannizer

I mean, yeah he's gone through with the demo of the current building's, but that's not an immediate indication of a project's 100% confirmation. Plenty of projects come to mind that have Demo'd blocks without starting a project; Camden's towers downtown, the old Houston First building (that's the block next to Chase tower right? It's finally showing signs of life but it sat there for awhile obviously) the current Chronicle demolition...

Im almost positive that a successful business person doesn't gather their wealth by ignoring business cycles. I'm sure he does intend to start later this year, if he can get the funding swtsig mentioned a few weeks ago, and by the time this finishes there might not be an apartment glut. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

So the midtown apartment glut you've been telling us about will be absorbed by later this year?  It looks to me like "hopes to start later this year" is actually more an indication that he does do exactly what he said, to-wit:  Proceed with projects without regard to business cycles (and the fact he's proceeded this far rather proves the truth of his comment too.)

Umm, where did I say that the midtown apartment glut will be absorbed by later this year? He "hopes" to start later this year. In terms of actual timeline, that means almost nothing. Every developer "hopes" to start sooner rather than later. If he's like most developers, he'll start as soon as market conditions permit. If there is a huge glut in the multi-family market such that landlords are giving multi-month rent abatements, then market conditions do not currently permit new construction. That does not necessarily mean the current glut has to be fully erased, but one needs to see a pace of absorption that would indicate that market vacancy will be low when the new product is scheduled to deliver.

And lastly, buying land and clearing the existing improvements don't "prove the truth" of anything as far as construction timeline, as BigFoot pointed out.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2017 at 6:58 PM, BeerNut said:

Temporary parking?

Make sense with ESPN and the media needing spaces for all the equipment vans. Along with personal vehicles.Midtown park will be channeling its inner '30 Rock'

On 1/18/2017 at 6:58 PM, BeerNut said:

Temporary parking?

during the Superbowl week. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately,we live in a copycat world.I prefer to focus on the impact of a major highrise addition to midtown. It's well overdue ,this building may well trigger other similar projects.Boring in appearance that it is,the one thing it will be .Is the pioneer of a vertical Manhattan style skyline.

• Like 5

On 1/26/2017 at 0:56 AM, Moderators said:

Unfortunately,we live in a copycat world.I prefer to focus on the impact of a major highrise addition to midtown. It's well overdue ,this building may well trigger other similar projects.Boring in appearance that it is,the one thing it will be .Is the pioneer of a vertical Manhattan style skyline.

Exactly my thoughts. Not every building in a city needs to be some spectacular master work. That would take away from those few that actual merit such a title. While every building isn't going to be amazing every building in a city and subsequent skyline does play its part in the greater whole. A skyline and city in general are the sum of its parts. The urban fabric is a stitching of multiple  patch works of various detail and looks. Some plain and some elaborate, but all important. Helps give an area some balance.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, urbanize713 said:

Pending this project, 3300 Main, and the building proposed across from whole foods, the HCC building would effectively be dwarfed from all sides. That is simply incredible in my opinion. I'll be that old man before too long saying I was around before it was all built.

Perhaps the Van Loc lot project gets back on the docket with all this new development going up.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Can only tell from one side where the parking garage is, and it's not ugly. Is it gonna be underground? Or did ZC just did that good a job of hiding it?

ZC does nice work, but I wish they would have hired an architect from one of their other projects. Those 

are very nice buildings.

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lockmat said:

Can only tell from one side where the parking garage is, and it's not ugly. Is it gonna be underground? Or did ZC just did that good a job of hiding it?

ZC does nice work, but I wish they would have hired an architect from one of their other projects. Those 

are very nice buildings.

Like the catalyst tower, the garage is wrapped in apartments.

• Like 2

A building on the Caydon site at 2850 Fannin St. was recently demolished to make way for the new tower.

That leaves the company to secure construction financing -- "the biggest challenge at the moment," Russo said.

"We're ready to turn dirt," he said, "but everyone knows it's a tough financing market at the moment."

Here's hoping.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

After looking through the renderings at Ziegler Cooper's site again, I think my initial reaction of "Catalyst 2.0" (to borrower Urbannizer's phrase) was a bit unfair.  I quite like the three finned crown of the tower, which in profile looks somewhat different from the Catalyst.  There aren't any full-blown nighttime renderings of the tower, and I think this could add a nice light-up feature to the Midtown skyline.

• Like 1

Caydon just posted a job on Linked-In for senior legal counsel.  From the job description, it looks like it is to oversee all legal aspects of this project.  That's just my speculation, but I'm not sure what else Caydon has going on in the Houston area. . . . 

• Like 4