Urbannizer

Australian Developer Grabs Two Sites in Midtown

167 posts in this topic

http://caydon.com.au/portfolio-newsletter-overview-from-joe-russo/

Further exciting news, Caydon is expanding to International markets. I am pleased to have purchased a site in Houston, Texas, over the Christmas break to develop a 24 level development. The site was a no brainer - great location close to amenity, transport and infrastructure. We are working with some of America’s best architects to ensure the renowned Caydon quality is carried over to the US, we anticipate construction will commence later this year.

7 people like this

Wow!

residential highrise in mid-town?  And, a shorter building with 600 apartments across the street?

Close to "amenities and transportation". .......any guesses on what lots we are talking about here?  

2 people like this

Looking at Google earth of Midtown, the two most obvious blocks are the two blocks bounded by Webster, Gray, Austin, and Crawford.  They have been green field for a while, and I'm not aware of any projects around there that have been announced.  There aren't many other dual vacant blocks; the ones next to Wheeler station had that announced project a while back.

A good spot if they are tearing down parking lot and old buildings might be the blocks between Anita, Rosaile, Milam, and Main or Main, Anita, Drew, and Fannin.  There's still plenty of spots in midtown, but two vacant blocks do seem to be in short supply 

18 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Webster, Gray, Austin, and Crawford.

Sounds right. We've been hearing rumors about these lots for years.

1 person likes this

45 minutes ago, Triton said:

Sounds right. We've been hearing rumors about these lots for years.

I don't believe this "sounds right"...

I would imagine it would be much closer to the light right and ground floor retail.

1 person likes this

I would think those two blocks on Gray would be very risky for a highrise with GFR. My guess is that it's somewhere near but west of Main.

Interesting (but awesome!) that the 350 unit building would be 24-28 stories.. 600 units on one block, with a piazza, seems like a pretty dense development.

3 people like this

Could this be the project next to MATCH? Only question would be which is the other block he is referring to?

Maybe the block across Main? I doubt the townhouses would be knocked down.

Maybe it's the CVS at Elgin and Main????

3 hours ago, Avossos said:

I don't believe this "sounds right"...

I would imagine it would be much closer to the light right and ground floor retail.

My money goes on some location around Sears or one of the W Gray lots.. Let's see where it ends up!

Edit: Perhaps Alexan sold their site. We had heard rumors the gas station would be torn down and that an 11 story apartment complex was going up across the street from the old Central Bank Building. It's been fenced up ever since that rumor came out.

Edited by Triton
1 person likes this

The "small block" is mcdonalds. The "across the street" block is the greyhound station.

6 people like this

We can dream

1 person likes this

^ Nice find!

So I'd imagine they'll be knocking those buildings down that currently occupy the lots.

Edited by Nole23
1 person likes this

It is also a short five minute tram ride to the Medical Precinct,

:D

1 person likes this

More seriously, It looks like it is currently the home of Art Supply, which is one of the only hard goods retail spot in Midtown on Main street

3 minutes ago, Nole23 said:

^ Nice find!

So I'd imagine they'll be knocking those buildings down that currently occupy the lots.

Any possibility of east midtown development will get me sleuthing.

1 person likes this

Very interesting. Always nice to get a fresh developer, and a highrise in Midtown.  

I hope they wait to knock any buildings down until this project is a firm go with all financing.  The project sounds great, but seems a bit ambitious in the current market, so would hate to have another empty lot along the rail line if it fails through.   

well the link above specifically mentions that the project is being timed to coincide with the lull in multifamily deliveries anticipated to occur in 2017 and 2018 so it sounds like they understand the market at least somewhat well. be curious to see if they carry through with it - it would be great to get some new perspective on development here.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, corbs315 said:

See page 11 of this newletter; appears to be next to the superblock (and only minutes away from the Medical Precinct!):

http://caydon.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/COR084-Portfolio-Newsletter-March-2016_DIGITAL_2.pdf?utm_campaign=CAY-General&utm_source=Caydon-EDM&utm_medium=Button&utm_content=View-Full-Newsletter_March-2016-Portfolio-Newsletter

Edit:  Between Art Bar and Greensheet along Main.

Via Streetview:

26175594524_63987e3aa0_b.jpg

26175594394_0c90dc1024_h.jpg

26756143456_e0025afde3_h.jpg

4 people like this