The Quest for Apartments

IronTiger

I'm having a big problem looking for apartments. OK, I make about $10/hour but only make 30 hours. I'd like a studio or 1BR on the west side of town, but anything under $800 seems to have a lot of bad reviews. My heart sinks when I read about some apartment that has relatively cheap rates, but then continued reviews about apathetic management, overflowing trash cans, roaches, leaky walls, loud neighbors through paper-thin walls (and not just "loud music" but "wife beating"), and hidden fees.

A roommate situation might be okay but I know so few people that it's impossible to find the whole "mutual friend" thing and I'm not rooming with a stranger.

The only thing I'm not TOO picky on is location. By that I mean I don't insist on Inner Loop or whatever. Is there a good apartment "area" to rent from, or more resources to look for things like garage apartments and smaller buildings? (How are those even advertised?)

Forgive me.  I am not answering your question but rather asking another.

if you are making about $1200 per month, ($10x30x4)  I am uncertain if you could even support a lease at $800 per month (not sure if any landlord would lease to you with that ratio --66%).  I think roommates would be a must.  If you already have a situation where you have a place and can afford the rent, you may wish to stay there a bit longer.

hopefully others will be able to answer your question.

2 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Forgive me.  I am not answering your question but rather asking another.

if you are making about $1200 per month, ($10x30x4)  I am uncertain if you could even support a lease at $800 per month (not sure if any landlord would lease to you with that ratio --66%).  I think roommates would be a must.  If you already have a situation where you have a place and can afford the rent, you may wish to stay there a bit longer.

hopefully others will be able to answer your question.

Some weeks I work overtime (then I get cut the next week), and I know I'm probably going to dip into my savings account. There's a lot of places I haven't looked at yet. Thanks for your advice, though.

I was wondering if you are looking around Montrose or Midtown?  

I have a suggestion but it really should only be considered temporary living as it's a boarding house of sorts ( no kitchen and some of rooms have private baths but others share 2 rooms to a bathroom ) the  property owners ( Little Finger Properties, I think) are really very nice and renovating ( yes it is a bit rough but has potential and location is killer)as they acquire enough money to do so.It's been a while since I dealt with them but it was less than $600 everything included--------24 rooms maybe? Iron fence surrounds property--locked gate. You get key to gate, front door and personal room door. It seems to always have waiting list

forgot the address but behind convenience store at Brandt and Alabama.

19 hours ago, IronTiger said:

Some weeks I work overtime (then I get cut the next week), and I know I'm probably going to dip into my savings account. There's a lot of places I haven't looked at yet. Thanks for your advice, though.

Ok, good luck.  Your savings account aside, I don't know how many landlords would be willing to lease you a place that rents for, say $750 per month, on your salary.  My thoughts are that you should really consider finding a roommate or two.  You might be able to find a good place for $1000-1200 per month and split two (or three) ways, it might be affordable for you.

regardless, I wish you luck.  Maybe some of the "older" apartments out in Katy that service the energy corridor have some "specials" going on (a "free" month or something) right now?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived