Lowell Street Market: 718 W. 18th St.

Urbannizer

I know that these are just pie in the sky renderings, but I wonder whether someone is planning a grocery/restaurant concept?  Revival and Harolds both failed, but things are changing pretty quickly in the neighborhood.  Getting in and out of Kroger, Whole Foods, Sprouts, etc. with just one or two items is not fun during busy times of the day.  I would gladly pay an extra buck or two not to have to deal with that when I just need eggs or a nice block of cheese.

2 hours ago, s3mh said:

I know that these are just pie in the sky renderings, but I wonder whether someone is planning a grocery/restaurant concept?  Revival and Harolds both failed, but things are changing pretty quickly in the neighborhood.  Getting in and out of Kroger, Whole Foods, Sprouts, etc. with just one or two items is not fun during busy times of the day.  I would gladly pay an extra buck or two not to have to deal with that when I just need eggs or a nice block of cheese.

1900 s.f. is not a lot of space for a grocery store. At least not when there are spacious stores with ample parking available as ready alternatives.

A specialty butcher or fishmonger (or a combination of the two) could potentially survive, but it'd have to be special enough to be a destination, not just a neighborhood convenience. You can find "exotic" meats (goat, whole suckling pig, various organ meats) at ethnic markets around town, but dry-aged beef, heritage pork, pasture-raised chicken, etc., are either only sporadically available, or exorbitantly expensive. Good seafood is similarly very difficult to find, though fishmongers don't make the best-smelling neighbors in a retail development.

• 7 months later...
6 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

What do you mean by they're taking everything out?

The redevelopment is moving forward. Smoosh made an official announcement yesterday on Facebook     followed by a picture of Lowell Street Market:

The demo contractor told me a week ago that they were razing the entire site because it had been resold and the new owner had different plans.  Since that conversation it looks like that was BS because they have kept the red iron frames that are consistent with the original plans.   

• 10 months later...
3 hours ago, Angostura said:

Unless the developer does the upgrades as part of the construction, they don't get done. There's no way CoH is going to do anything about sidewalks in this area.

I think if it's reported it will. I just reported a lack of sidewalk access in a part of Midtown that I live in and they have already put the location on their list of repairs. 

3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I think if it's reported it will. I just reported a lack of sidewalk access in a part of Midtown that I live in and they have already put the location on their list of repairs. 

Is it the city doing the repairs or the Midtown TIRZ?  Generally, I don't believe the city is responsible for installing or maintaining sidewalks. 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This thread was at least 2 pages, but unfortunately all of my posts (updated site plans, archive links, marketing material, tenant updates, construction photos) were removed in the "accidental" deletion of my all of my content. I wasn't able to save anything from this thread.

On a not surprising but sad note (depending if you liked dining here), Sing has closed  last week at Lowell Street Market. 

All of Sing's social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) are gone. Only the website remains for now with this message announcing the closing:

zDPStRO.jpg
https://eatcravesing.com

More from Community Impact:

Sing, a fast-casual concept offering Singaporean cuisine, closed its Heights restaurant at 718 W. 18th St., Ste. D, on Nov. 3. The restaurant opened about a year ago, but its executive chef Cuc Lam left the operation in January. "Our journey together at SING is now at an end. Thank you for making it so much fun! We hope you enjoyed every bite, and we look forward to our next adventure together," a message posted to its website reads.

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/impacts/2019/11/12/fast-casual-singaporean-concept-sing-closes-in-the-heights/

• The title was changed to Lowell Street Market: 718 W. 18th St.
  • 3 years later...

Below is the most recent site plan included in marketing materials for Lowell Street Market. However, it's not current. 

As noted in the previous post, Teapresso Bar closed recently at 718 W 18th St, Suite H. And suite G is no longer available.

Lowell Street Market is a retail center located at 718 West 18th St.

Current tenants include:

• Snooze, an A.M. Eatery - 718 W 18th St, Suite A

• Kale Me Crazy - 718 W 18th St, Suite D

• Smoosh - 718 W 18th St, Suite F

• Heights Eye Care - 718 W 18th St, Suite I

https://shopcompanies.com/properties/pdf/lowell-street-market

cyWxKvn.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 11/7/2023 at 10:56 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Teapresso Bar recently closed its Heights location at Lowell Street Market. The tea and coffee shop was located at 718 W 18th St, Suite H. 

Leasing Teapresso Bar's former unit at Lowell Street Market is a restaurant called Vuji Cafe. The eatery's address is 718 West 18th St, Ste H.

Vuji Cafe is one of several accounts Instagram suggested to follow. It's how I came across the restaurant. According to Vuji Cafe's Instagram bio, it will offer Tex-Asian sandos.

Based on the accounts following (and are followed by the eatery), I'm assuming this may be a new dining concept from the proprietors of The Chicken & Rice Guys. Some may recall the restaurant briefly operated at 2723 Yale St, Suite 102. The unit was one of Nextseed's incubator spaces. 

There is also a registered domain for Vuji Cafe. However, the site is currently set to private.

https://www.vuji.cafe

https://www.instagram.com/vuji.cafe 

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 10:56 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Teapresso Bar recently closed its Heights location at Lowell Street Market. The tea and coffee shop was located at 718 W 18th St, Suite H. 

Just now, IntheKnowHouston said:

Leasing Teapresso Bar's former unit at Lowell Street Market is a restaurant called Vuji Cafe. The eatery's address is 718 West 18th St, Ste H.

Vuji Cafe is one of several accounts Instagram

suggested I follow. It's how I came across the restaurant. According to Vuji Cafe's Instagram bio, it will offer Tex-Asian sandos.

There is also a registered domain for Vuji Cafe. However, the site is currently set to private.

https://www.vuji.cafe

https://www.instagram.com/vuji.cafe 

A couple of permits were purchased yesterday for 718 W 18th St, Suite H:

• One story occupancy inspection permit
  • Certificate of occupancy permit 

Below are a few details from the permits:

• Use: Nc / occ/ 1,215 sf coffee shop 1-1-2-a2-b '12 IBC 100%/17123865
  • FCC Group: Non-residential alteration

As noted in the previous post, Vuji Cafe is opening at 718 W 18th St, Ste H. The restaurant bills itself as a spot for Tex-Asian sandos. It joins Snooze and Smoosh at Lowell Market Street.

One story occupancy inspection permit

B7qYdpo.png

Certificate of occupancy permit 

6VvLK60.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2023 at 1:03 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Below is the most recent site plan included in marketing materials for Lowell Street Market. However, it's not current. 

As noted in the previous post, Teapresso Bar closed recently at 718 W 18th St, Suite H. And suite G is no longer available.

Lowell Street Market is a retail center located at 718 West 18th St.

Current tenants include:

• Snooze, an A.M. Eatery - 718 W 18th St, Suite A

• Kale Me Crazy - 718 W 18th St, Suite D

• Smoosh - 718 W 18th St, Suite F

• Heights Eye Care - 718 W 18th St, Suite I

https://shopcompanies.com/properties/pdf/lowell-street-market

cyWxKvn.jpg

Correction: Based on the above site plan posted in November, Suite D is available for lease. The suite was home to Kale Me Crazy, a health-focused restaurant chain. 

It appears Kale Me Crazy has been closed since late 2023. However, their Google listing switches back and forth between open and closed temporarily. At present, Kale Me Crazy is shown as open on Google Maps, but it is permanently closed.