Renovation Permitting

I'm working with an out-of-state architect and engineer for a home renovation project. They are unaware of Houston's permitting process. I found the IBC codes. They've asked for some sample plans. How many plans do I need? As-built, demo, etc?

I've contacted Houston Permitting Center but no one knew how to help. I just kept getting pinged around from department to department. 

Thanks in advance.

You can put pulling the permits within the scope of your agreement with your local contractor.  

As far as applicable codes go, I'm a bit surprised that an architect or engineer would have difficulty finding them - they're all on the city website (as is very often the case).  They'll need to be aware that the Houston Residential Building Code is based on the residential IBC, but it's got a ton of modifications unique to Houston (as do the Houston versions of the other types of building code).

2 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

I don't mean to be snarky.  But, the work you are doing is really the responsibility of the professional(s) you are paying.  

29 minutes ago, mollusk said:

You can put pulling the permits within the scope of your agreement with your local contractor.  

As far as applicable codes go, I'm a bit surprised that an architect or engineer would have difficulty finding them - they're all on the city website (as is very often the case).  They'll need to be aware that the Houston Residential Building Code is based on the residential IBC, but it's got a ton of modifications unique to Houston (as do the Houston versions of the other types of building code).

This is being done as a favor so I aimed to make it as easy on them as possible. Though I think it might be wise to hire someone familiar with Houston Building Codes to do the initial plans. 

I did find sample drawings here: https://www.houstonpermittingcenter.org/code-enforcement/publications.html/#drawings

Building codes: https://www.houstonpermittingcenter.org/code-enforcement/publications.html/#houston

You barely need plans if you're doing a renovation.  Basically Any plans you submit are good enough if you're the homeowner.  I've hand drawn plans on a sheet of paper in front of the planning guy before. 

It's a bit different if it's a big addition.... 

2 minutes ago, rbarz said:

You barely need plans if you're doing a renovation.  Basically Any plans you submit are good enough if you're the homeowner.  I've hand drawn plans on a sheet of paper in front of the planning guy before. 

It's a bit different if it's a big addition.... 

Extensive gut job. Replacing plumbing, electrical, adding hvac, changing flow everywhere. 

What rbarz said.  There is actually a permitting category called something along the lines of "improvements per list."  Once you start removing walls, you may start needing sealed plans - I just don't know on that.

However, MEP is going to have to be permitted one way or another and up to code to pass inspections.  Once you're past a certain value breakpoint (50%, IIRC) you start having to upgrade existing components that otherwise weren't going to be modified - or as a CoH permitting representative once put it with a slow shake of the head and a silent "bless your heart:"  "oh... Grandfather's passed..."

• The title was changed to Renovation Permitting

Archived