Downtown AAA Ballpark

tigereye

SA and Elmore Sports Group in discussions for a new ballpark in Downtown SA for a relocated AAA team, likely the Colorado Springs SkySox, also owned by ESG. Team would likely be a AAA affiliate of the Rangers, with Round Rock switching back to the Astros and Fresno going to the Brewers to replace the SkySox.

Ballpark sites discussed include the northwest corner of Hemisfair, at South Alamo and Market streets; the Institute of Texan Cultures; Fox Tech High School football fields; parking lot south of the Alamodome; and sites near Lone Star south of downtown, and the Pearl.

IMO, the sites on either side of I-37 maybe be the best spots in terms of visibility and the potential for a view of the Tower of the Americas in the outfield.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/report-colorado-springs-moving-to-san-antonio/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=56ff51d204d3014a9536e911&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

Mayor says Hemisfair wrong site for new Downtown ballpark. That would potentially eliminate 2 sites, S Alamo & Market (demoing portions of the convention center) and Institute of Texan Cultures. Wasn't sure how this site would play well with US Dictrict Courts & Social Security office complex next door. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/news/2016/03/31/exclusive-mayor-says-hemisfair-wrong-site-for-new.html?ana=twt

IMO - the lot south of the Alamodome may be the leader as it would have no costs associated with land acquisition, unlike the Fox Tech site. Would still have a nice view of the Tower of the Americas & the Alamodome. 

• 3 weeks later...

From the Houston perspective, it sure be preferable to have the Express back, so our AAA club is closer to home, from this fan's point of view. Having it in Fresno is extremely odd and out of place. Of course, rumblings of an AAA affiliate being moved to the northern suburbs of Houston still have their moments every now and again. Of course, we've also been graced with the independent Sugarland Skeeters, which are quite the enjoyable outing when they are in season.

• 4 weeks later...

As an Astros fan and as a frequent visitor to San Antonio and Corpus Christi, I'd prefer the Astros get a AAA team in the Alamo City and let the Rangers keep Round Rock. It would be a lot easier to catch a Hooks game one day in Corpus then drive 130 miles up I-37 to see the new Missions (I presume that will still be the name) play and see both Astro farm teams. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

Is this what I see? Tower crane in CBD 

Too small of a site but I did see “park” in the project title 

The project has stalled, with no site decided upon. 

Coincidentally, the Missions played their final Texas League game. Next season, they’ll begin play in PCL, but in an outdated AA ballpark and no future plans. Both the Astros & Rangers have ended their affiliations with Fresno & Round Rock, with the Astros likely to sign a new affiliation agreement with Round Rock soon. 

The Rangers top target for affiliation is Nashville (4 year old ballpark, Nats also in play here) and San Antonio. 

22 hours ago, tigereye said:

The project has stalled, with no site decided upon. 

Coincidentally, the Missions played their final Texas League game. Next season, they’ll begin play in PCL, but in an outdated AA ballpark and no future plans. Both the Astros & Rangers have ended their affiliations with Fresno & Round Rock, with the Astros likely to sign a new affiliation agreement with Round Rock soon. 

The Rangers top target for affiliation is Nashville (4 year old ballpark, Nats also in play here) and San Antonio. 

Thank you. Went down to the RW and saw more information on the project. It’s not on HAIF unless it changed the design team?

Gensler and Lake Flato designed it. Any clues?

Archived