Will METRO Ever Run 24/7?

I take the 36 to Northline and ride the train all the way to Midtown every morning for work. Well I know service ends in this city at 12am... so my gf and I went downtown... had some coffee... walked around, etc... and we decide to head back around 10:30, caught the next northbound train to Northline TC. Well once we got to Northline TC we learned that the 36 West ran its last route at 10:30... Now I was pretty upset but all I could do was call an Uber to get home. Is this city every going to offer 24 hr service? I find it crazy how the trains run till midnite or that Metro will force riders to get off at Burnett TC because of the rodeo and take the next train north. I find that crap very inconsiderate for the riders trying to get to their neighborhood. And all for a few extra crowds at the rodeo that never use public transportation other then once a year. Just very frustrating how my 36 bus stops running on a Saturday at 10:30. Seriously!? C'mon Metro!

Most cities don't run 24 hr transit, and often those that do only run it on a limited number of lines lines. That said, I do agree that expanding hours is a good thing, but I think they actually did that with the recent bus system redesign. There is absolutely no way Metro can afford to offer 24hr (or even later hours) on every single line.

Now, if we could fix our priorities so that we increase funding for transit and stop funding excessive highway expansions then that might change.

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

Most cities don't run 24 hr transit, and often those that do only run it on a limited number of lines lines. That said, I do agree that expanding hours is a good thing, but I think they actually did that with the recent bus system redesign. There is absolutely no way Metro can afford to offer 24hr (or even later hours) on every single line.

Now, if we could fix our priorities so that we increase funding for transit and stop funding excessive highway expansions then that might change.

I think if anything why not run the system at least 21 hrs instead of 18? That allows everyone to use the system as bars close, etc. I mean even if it means running buses at longer intervals after say midnite to 3am. Or why not do what Philly did and have service later on weekends only? If trains and busses ran till at least 3am on the wknds that would be great!

The red line at least already does that. Again, I think it's a question of how much to scale it out. Stopping service at 3am for every single line might work, but in reality some lines would probably end up serving almost no one after a particular time. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

24 hour transit service makes maintenance of tracks MUCH more difficult. New York can manage it because many lines were built as express lines, so they are quad-tracked. This means they can do maintenance on two lines at night while the other two remain open. Even 21 hours makes maintenance really tough as it essentially forces people to work three hour shifts which is quite inefficient.

EDIT: Also, train service doesn't have much advantage over bus service late at night as traffic is essentially zero.

• The title was changed to Will METRO Ever Run 24/7?

Archived