Scooby Doo's Pipe Organ Pizza

dpmccann

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not remember Scooby Doo's Pizza, but we had a really cool place here in Dallas called Pizza & Pipes (it may have originally been called Pipe Organ Pizza) It was off of Walnut Hill and I-35. I had a birthday party there when I was little (early to mid 1970's) The pipe organ was at the back of the restaurant in a glassed in room. The thing I remember the most was a cool tight rope that went across the center of the restaurant...every once in a while something (maybe a little clown?) would ride across it and blow bubbles....

We do, in Dallas, have a place that is still in business that sounds VERY much like what you have been describing..it is called Crystal's Pizza Palace. It is in Irving on 183. It has a pizza parlour area, a game room, a library seating area, an upstairs that looks like a Victorian bedroom and a movie theater that still shows the 3 Stooges cartoons,,at least they did last time I was there. They even have an ice cream bar. No pipe organ though..The best thing I like about it is a game in their gameroom,,,,they have (or had a year ago when I went last) a BOZO Grand Prize Game,,you know the cool game he had on his Chicago TV show where the kids threw a ball in buckets to win prizes,,they have that there!! What I wouldn't give for one of those!!!..This place has been here at least from the early 70's..they just sunk in some $$ by refurbishing the huge lighted sign on the outside (looks like a sign in Times Square) and they repainted the outside. I just drove past it this last week, so I know it is still open for business. Next time you are up this way,,make sure you go,,it is GREAT pizza too. I do believe that Crystal's Pizza in Irving, TX is as close as you would get to living your dream again. I hope this has been helpful! Pam

76758659_1e0d4c43fc_m.jpgI just found a picture for you :)

Hi Pam,

Thank you so much for the photo and the info! It brings back memories. I remember Crystals off Inwood Road in Dallas that is now a Mexican place I think. I am looking for great places like this from my childhood to take my 3 year-old when we all move back to Dallas hopefully next year. I remember what great pizza they had there and I do remember a huge salad bar with all sorts of things and remember ordering with a telephone if I remember correctly at the booths. Does that sound familiar? You have made my day! Merry Christmas to you and your family! XOXOXO

quote name='pammywhammy' date='Saturday, December 16th, 2006 @ 7:09am' post='134697']

I do not remember Scooby Doo's Pizza, but we had a really cool place here in Dallas called Pizza & Pipes (it may have originally been called Pipe Organ Pizza) It was off of Walnut Hill and I-35. I had a birthday party there when I was little (early to mid 1970's) The pipe organ was at the back of the restaurant in a glassed in room. The thing I remember the most was a cool tight rope that went across the center of the restaurant...every once in a while something (maybe a little clown?) would ride across it and blow bubbles....

We do, in Dallas, have a place that is still in business that sounds VERY much like what you have been describing..it is called Crystal's Pizza Palace. It is in Irving on 183. It has a pizza parlour area, a game room, a library seating area, an upstairs that looks like a Victorian bedroom and a movie theater that still shows the 3 Stooges cartoons,,at least they did last time I was there. They even have an ice cream bar. No pipe organ though..The best thing I like about it is a game in their gameroom,,,,they have (or had a year ago when I went last) a BOZO Grand Prize Game,,you know the cool game he had on his Chicago TV show where the kids threw a ball in buckets to win prizes,,they have that there!! What I wouldn't give for one of those!!!..This place has been here at least from the early 70's..they just sunk in some $$ by refurbishing the huge lighted sign on the outside (looks like a sign in Times Square) and they repainted the outside. I just drove past it this last week, so I know it is still open for business. Next time you are up this way,,make sure you go,,it is GREAT pizza too. I do believe that Crystal's Pizza in Irving, TX is as close as you would get to living your dream again. I hope this has been helpful! Pam

76758659_1e0d4c43fc_m.jpgI just found a picture for you :)

I just found a few things that are similar to the one here in Dallas (Pizza & Pipes) I am pasting them below. I couldn't find anything on the Dallas one.....it appears that there is a place called "Roaring 20's Pizza and Pipes" that is still in business in Florida...you can find pictures of it on Google......If I am ever in Florida, I am sure I will check it out!!! But, in the meantime, all of this talk of pizza and nostalgia has made me want to go eat at Crystal's Pizza today.....(Irving, Texas on Hwy 183 @ McArthur & O'Connor) I may even go by the old Pizza and Pipes location and see if the old building is still there,,if it is, I will snap some pictures. And, by the way, I do remember the Crystal's Pizza on Inwood,,right by where the Galleria is now in Dallas..I went there for someone's birthday party....that one went out of business quite a while back. Speaking of places to go from your past to take your kids,,I am glad I found a Pizza Inn that looks VERY 70's still..It is kinda cool that they haven't remodled the inside....it is in McKinney, TX off of I-75 @Louisiana.....it is in a strip mall..I am still looking for one that is an original, free standing one that looks like the picture below,,,,I LOVE their pizza,,it is still greatness!!

pizza01.gifAHHH,,the memories

capns-galley_sign-l.jpg

ppl.gif

From Journal American newspaper, March 10, 1992:

End of a pipe dream.

Pizza parlor closure silences old organ

By Debbie Cafazzo

Journal American Staff Writer

pizza-pipes_article-s.jpg

Photo by Rick Schweinhart, Journal American photographer

BELLEVUE

If you look after the picture of the Capn's Galley Pizza & Pipes picture, you can click on where it says video and see it playing!!! Coolness!!

Pammy, you are my absolute favorite poster since I have been here. I am gonna get that video. Now I have to make a special trip to Florida just to eat some pizza. Thanks. ;):D

Wow! Thanks Pam! Those pictures are worth a thousand words! I want to go to Florida to that Pipe Organ Pizza Place there! The Pizza Inn is still the best! I wish I didn't live so far away. Eat some good pizza and take some picturs for me!

XOXOXO These are incredible!

I just found a few things that are similar to the one here in Dallas (Pizza & Pipes) I am pasting them below. I couldn't find anything on the Dallas one.....it appears that there is a place called "Roaring 20's Pizza and Pipes" that is still in business in Florida...you can find pictures of it on Google......If I am ever in Florida, I am sure I will check it out!!! But, in the meantime, all of this talk of pizza and nostalgia has made me want to go eat at Crystal's Pizza today.....(Irving, Texas on Hwy 183 @ McArthur & O'Connor) I may even go by the old Pizza and Pipes location and see if the old building is still there,,if it is, I will snap some pictures. And, by the way, I do remember the Crystal's Pizza on Inwood,,right by where the Galleria is now in Dallas..I went there for someone's birthday party....that one went out of business quite a while back. Speaking of places to go from your past to take your kids,,I am glad I found a Pizza Inn that looks VERY 70's still..It is kinda cool that they haven't remodled the inside....it is in McKinney, TX off of I-75 @Louisiana.....it is in a strip mall..I am still looking for one that is an original, free standing one that looks like the picture below,,,,I LOVE their pizza,,it is still greatness!!

pizza01.gifAHHH,,the memories

capns-galley_sign-l.jpg

ppl.gif

From Journal American newspaper, March 10, 1992:

End of a pipe dream.

Pizza parlor closure silences old organ

By Debbie Cafazzo

Journal American Staff Writer

pizza-pipes_article-s.jpg

Photo by Rick Schweinhart, Journal American photographer

BELLEVUE

Wow! Thanks Pam! Those pictures are worth a thousand words! I want to go to Florida to that Pipe Organ Pizza Place there! The Pizza Inn is still the best! I wish I didn't live so far away. Eat some good pizza and take some picturs for me!

XOXOXO These are incredible!

Well,,I tried to talk my husband into taking me and the kids to Crystal's,,he said it is too far...so we compromised and he is taking me to my favorite all time pizza place,,Brother's Pizza on I-75 @ Meadow...they used to have one in what was called Red Bird Mall in Dallas..it closed down and I was so happy to find that they had opened a location elsewhere...if you are ever up this way,,make sure you order a pizza there, especially the sausage (it is New York style pizza and is the best pizza I have ever had in my life)!!! I must go get ready,,my mouth is watering thinking about it!! YUMMY!!!

Pam

I know exactly where that Brother's Pizza is located and haven't tried it before, so I am glad to know of new places to try when we move back to D/FW area. I love that NY Style pizza and can't wait to try it! We are going to a burger joint today I think. It is hard to find child-friendly places here in England. We just can't wait to move back! I grew up in Dallas and you really miss it when you are living away from it. The places to eat here are horrible and we only have Pizza Hut or Domino's. If our paperwork goes through next year, fingers crossed, we can try Brother's Pizza and Crystals again. England definitely lacks child-friendly places to eat that are good. You have my mouth watering for some of that yummy pizza! We might go to the Pizza Hut restaurant here if I can get my husband to go there. He prefers Domino's.

Well,,I tried to talk my husband into taking me and the kids to Crystal's,,he said it is too far...so we compromised and he is taking me to my favorite all time pizza place,,Brother's Pizza on I-75 @ Meadow...they used to have one in what was called Red Bird Mall in Dallas..it closed down and I was so happy to find that they had opened a location elsewhere...if you are ever up this way,,make sure you order a pizza there, especially the sausage (it is New York style pizza and is the best pizza I have ever had in my life)!!! I must go get ready,,my mouth is watering thinking about it!! YUMMY!!!

Pam

I know exactly where that Brother's Pizza is located and haven't tried it before, so I am glad to know of new places to try when we move back to D/FW area. I love that NY Style pizza and can't wait to try it! We are going to a burger joint today I think. It is hard to find child-friendly places here in England. We just can't wait to move back! I grew up in Dallas and you really miss it when you are living away from it. The places to eat here are horrible and we only have Pizza Hut or Domino's. If our paperwork goes through next year, fingers crossed, we can try Brother's Pizza and Crystals again. England definitely lacks child-friendly places to eat that are good. You have my mouth watering for some of that yummy pizza! We might go to the Pizza Hut restaurant here if I can get my husband to go there. He prefers Domino's.

England? That's cool though...lots of neat things to see...but I would get homesick too....although, when I lived in New York City for 3 years, I rarely thought of Dallas (except Mexican food..they don't know what good Mexican food is up there! Yuck!) ...I actually ate at a Pizza Hut when I was in London a few years back....yeah, when y'all come back you'll just have to feast on all of the good food here..Brother's, Campisi's, Crystal's, Chili's, Snuffer's, El Fenix, Texas Roadhouse, and BBQ to name a few!!! You can't get any of that good stuff over there. I know I lost weight while I was visiting..the culinary arts is not something England is known for..adn greasy fish wrapped in a newspaper doesn't cut it for me! :) Glad to hear you are coming home :)

We have a brother's pizza down here also at I-10 and Hwy.6, it is nothing like the one in Dallas, but they try hard.

They probably aren't related?. Who knows...sounds like you need to come eat in Dallas instead.. :)

My husband drove me past the old Pizza and Pipes building that was on Northwest Hwy this weekend, I took one or 2 pictures..as soon as I get them uploaded, I will post them on here. It is now a very unimaginative bar/club of some sort..but the cool stained glass windows are still there. :) Pam

I justed checked out her profile too, so cute, she found HAIF by seraching for the "pipe organ pizza" in her search engine. Amazing all the different ways people find HAIF. Welcome to the site Pam! :lol:

Thank you...it is very interesting so far. :) I need to explore Houston a little more...I have only been there 3 times..I now have relatives and friends that live there, so, I am sure I will be back at some point..

You are noit wrong. Mexican food is a real rarity here and I make it all myself! Miss all my Mexican food and good pizza. Greasy fish wrapped in a newspaper is not my favorite either!!! Pizza Huts are everywhere here. They just don't cut it somehow.

I am looking forward to seeing your photos and hope you had a nice weekend. Weather is terrible here!

England? That's cool though...lots of neat things to see...but I would get homesick too....although, when I lived in New York City for 3 years, I rarely thought of Dallas (except Mexican food..they don't know what good Mexican food is up there! Yuck!) ...I actually ate at a Pizza Hut when I was in London a few years back....yeah, when y'all come back you'll just have to feast on all of the good food here..Brother's, Campisi's, Crystal's, Chili's, Snuffer's, El Fenix, Texas Roadhouse, and BBQ to name a few!!! You can't get any of that good stuff over there. I know I lost weight while I was visiting..the culinary arts is not something England is known for..adn greasy fish wrapped in a newspaper doesn't cut it for me! :) Glad to hear you are coming home :)

They probably aren't related?. Who knows...sounds like you need to come eat in Dallas instead.. :)

My husband drove me past the old Pizza and Pipes building that was on Northwest Hwy this weekend, I took one or 2 pictures..as soon as I get them uploaded, I will post them on here. It is now a very unimaginative bar/club of some sort..but the cool stained glass windows are still there. :) Pam

Thank you...it is very interesting so far. :) I need to explore Houston a little more...I have only been there 3 times..I now have relatives and friends that live there, so, I am sure I will be back at some point..

All good, and you should visit more often, we all know Houston is WAY better than Dallas. . . .just kidding!!! :lol::P^_^:D:)B)

All good, and you should visit more often, we all know Houston is WAY better than Dallas. . . .just kidding!!! :lol::P^_^:D:)B)

Ha!!! Well,,,I won't comment on that. ;) I have lived in the Dallas area all of my life (except the 3 years I spent in NYC....I would love to move to South Dakota or Utah...so much cleaner and prettier...but I do beleive the snow would make me not like it very quickly....

You are noit wrong. Mexican food is a real rarity here and I make it all myself! Miss all my Mexican food and good pizza. Greasy fish wrapped in a newspaper is not my favorite either!!! Pizza Huts are everywhere here. They just don't cut it somehow.

I am looking forward to seeing your photos and hope you had a nice weekend. Weather is terrible here!

I bet,,,it rained and was freezing the entire time I was in London...this was in JUNE!!!! BRRRR....no thank you! I will try to get the pictures on here in a little bit :) Poor Pizza and Pipes :(

We are both Dallas gals. I wonder what you thought of NYC. I had a friend that moved there after college. I bet it was expensive in comparison. The one thing I can't stand is the cold and the rain at the same time. I can handle some cold weather, but not when there is rain with it. It is horrible. Also, it is dark at 4 p.m. here and in the summer, it is bright and sunny at 3 a.m. if you can believe that!!! I hear you about the weather. I wish I could go to Pizza and Pipes. I just really could do with some good pizza tonight. As you say, when we return, we will hit all the places you mentioned that I miss!!! Can't wait!!! You can imagine that Christmas is just not on the same scale here either....................... -_-

Ha!!! Well,,,I won't comment on that. ;) I have lived in the Dallas area all of my life (except the 3 years I spent in NYC....I would love to move to South Dakota or Utah...so much cleaner and prettier...but I do beleive the snow would make me not like it very quickly....

I bet,,,it rained and was freezing the entire time I was in London...this was in JUNE!!!! BRRRR....no thank you! I will try to get the pictures on here in a little bit :) Poor Pizza and Pipes :(

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I am so glad I found this website. I have been wondering about this place for so long! When I ask someone if they remember it, they look at me like I'm nuts. I felt like I was reading something I wrote. I too have checked on ebay for anything about it. My family and I used to go all the time, it brings back such fond memories of my dad. He was a funny guy..

dawn1970

• 4 weeks later...

I took some pictures but they turned out really badly.....next time I am over that way, I will snap some in the daytime...it is now a bar and I didn't want to get too close when I was there at night.......maybe during the day the weirdos won't be hanging around... ;)

• 4 months later...
I took some pictures but they turned out really badly.....next time I am over that way, I will snap some in the daytime...it is now a bar and I didn't want to get too close when I was there at night.......maybe during the day the weirdos won't be hanging around... ;)

Bummer. :(

Any luck in reshooting those?

• 5 years later...

My grandfather (my mother's stepfather) and I used to go to the Scooby Doo's Pipe Organ Pizza in the Greenpoint Area when I was a child and growing up. I believe that is the correct name of the restaurant. I remember the legs sticking out from the wall (it could have been the character Shaggy's (from the Scooby Doo cartoon series)). Pardon my spelling and grammar. I always thought it was called Scooby Doo not Scooby Doo's Pipe Organ Pizza. But I was so young to pay that much attention to the name of the restaurant, though. Does anyone remember the legs sticking out from the wall? I cannot remember if the food was good, but I do not think so, because we didn't eat there much. I just like going there for the asphere and video games. My grandfather (my mother's stepfather) was a lawyer (attorney at law) and his law office was on Aldine Bender. Sadly, my grandfather (my mother's stepfather) died on Friday October 02, 2009. My mother's mother died on November 15, 2011 (I believe that is the correct date). I remember the amusement park close to where my grandfather's (my mother's stepfather's law office) was, it was named after the production company (which produced cartoons). The name started with a 'B' (I am referring to the amusement park's name). The amusement park wasn't that great though, kind of lame. I'm scared of roller coasters, and that was the only thing that was good about that amusement park. The other things, were just so boring and lame. But that amusement park is long gone. In it's place they built a water park. These places bring back a lot of memories. I was born on June 13, 1972 and I am 40 years old now. I was very very very very close to my grandfather (my mother's stepfather) and now I have only memories of him. I miss my grandfather (my mother's stepfather) so very much. I'm sure glad to found this forum and website. Because I was born and raised in Houston Texas. But I have traveled a lot, though. But I have a lot of memories from Houston Texas.

My grandfather (my mother's stepfather) and I used to go to the Scooby Doo's Pipe Organ Pizza in the Greenpoint Area when I was a child and growing up. I believe that is the correct name of the restaurant. I remember the legs sticking out from the wall (it could have been the character Shaggy's (from the Scooby Doo cartoon series)). Pardon my spelling and grammar. I always thought it was called Scooby Doo not Scooby Doo's Pipe Organ Pizza. But I was so young to pay that much attention to the name of the restaurant, though. Does anyone remember the legs sticking out from the wall? I cannot remember if the food was good, but I do not think so, because we didn't eat there much. I just like going there for the asphere and video games. My grandfather (my mother's stepfather) was a lawyer (attorney at law) and his law office was on Aldine Bender. Sadly, my grandfather (my mother's stepfather) died on Friday October 02, 2009. My mother's mother died on November 15, 2011 (I believe that is the correct date). I remember the amusement park close to where my grandfather's (my mother's stepfather's law office) was, it was named after the production company (which produced cartoons). The name started with a 'B' (I am referring to the amusement park's name). The amusement park wasn't that great though, kind of lame. I'm scared of roller coasters, and that was the only thing that was good about that amusement park. The other things, were just so boring and lame. But that amusement park is long gone. In it's place they built a water park. These places bring back a lot of memories. I was born on June 13, 1972 and I am 40 years old now. I was very very very very close to my grandfather (my mother's stepfather) and now I have only memories of him. I miss my grandfather (my mother's stepfather) so very much. I'm sure glad to found this forum and website. Because I was born and raised in Houston Texas. But I have traveled a lot, though. But I have a lot of memories from Houston Texas.

Archived