Software Upgrade

editor

37 minutes ago, editor said:

It should feel a little faster now.  Part of the problem is that the database is running into memory/disk space limits.  About 10GB of old logs have been cleared out, and that seems to have helped the speed a lot.

"Liking" is still a problem, but among the problems still being worked on.

So wait, you deleted topics and files, or just "junk"?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm having to jump through hoops just to view the forums. Normally I type in the search browswer "houstonarchitecture.com/haif" and it brings up the forum categories. Now, it's just a white error page. 

Any suggestions?

34 minutes ago, editor said:

More repairs have been made.  I've been told that things should work now.  It certainly loads better/faster.  Let me know if there are any continuing problems.

I was able to like your post therefore a grand improvement

22 hours ago, wxman said:

I'm having to jump through hoops just to view the forums. Normally I type in the search browswer "houstonarchitecture.com/haif" and it brings up the forum categories. Now, it's just a white error page. 

Any suggestions?

Whoever fixed this issue, thanks! I like to catch up on my phone without logging in sometimes.

Mobile is still a chore; going through Posts on any sub takes awhile to load, and swiping back to read the other Unread Posts requires the site to reload the subforum (I guess so I can keep track of what post's I've already read?) which adds about 10 seconds between threads, which can be a lot when hindesky or HtownChris have their usual weekend photo-dump.

Still having some issues giving reputation. It's less and less though. Mobile is a viewing disaster, and hinders me from keeping HAIF in my usual rotation of boredom. Perhaps a silver lining to the stability and grace of the website. :lol:

On May 4, 2016 at 7:51 AM, Montrose1100 said:

Still having some issues giving reputation. It's less and less though. Mobile is a viewing disaster, and hinders me from keeping HAIF in my usual rotation of boredom. Perhaps a silver lining to the stability and grace of the website. :lol:

Can you be more specific about "disaster?"  I looked at it on mobile and it seemed to work fine, though I'm going to try to cut down on the size of the ads for mobile displays.  

I'm using an iPhone.  Is this perhaps an Android problem?

7 hours ago, editor said:

Can you be more specific about "disaster?"  I looked at it on mobile and it seemed to work fine, though I'm going to try to cut down on the size of the ads for mobile displays.  

I use an Android,  and the recent changes have greatly improved the mobile experience. Reducing the size of the ads would be a big improvemen, but load speed is far better now.

8 hours ago, editor said:

iPhone here. The notification pop up is split in half, the right half being off the screen. I don't mind the big ads, I understand this site is not cheap. I can't delete the quote boxes on mobile. Loading pictures is an issue, although I suppose it can be blamed on wifi/service provider (AT&T has been crappy more & more recently). The size of the texts and over all platform is bigger. Suppose this can be changed on my phones setting but *as is, it involves a lot more scrolling. Makes me dizzy.

I also noticed the size of all the images has shrunk, I guess because of the bar on the side with the added info? It's a lot more difficult to view the details in images now. Not sure if there's anyway to make that collapsible or perhaps it's a setting in my profile?

Viewing on mobile is such a cumbersome, annoying experience, to the point that I barely come to the site (and I browse haif 85% on the phone). Loading a thread takes over a minute, then going "back" to the subforum reloads the entire page (which also takes over a minute), just so that I can see which thread I've already browsed, as if that's really difficult to keep up with. 

I mean, I guess this way it looks like you've increased traffic through the site, but that's really only a side effect of the new software's page loading. 

And by reloading the page by going back, I mean that once you "go back" a page, it goes back to where you left off (before clicking or opening a thread), freezes there for about 10 seconds, then begins to reload the page, goes to the very top of the page (to which it stays there for about 10 seconds) then jumps down to the bottom of the page (again, it stays there for awhile), then it finally jumps back to where I initially left off. It's so incredibly cumbersome and irritating that it feels like the site went from a useful, yet still "stuck in 2013" site to a polished 2006-era site. It's weird.

It seems to work a lot better if you use the unread content option, and then use the dot or star to go to the first unread message in a thread. I get the list of unread content pretty quickly, and loading a message isn't awful. This is on a Galaxy S5. Having said that, the sites I read that use the older version of the software look better and are faster.

I suspect the image posting problem is related to the fact that imgur and other have switched to secure connections (https).  A lot of companies are doing this so that when you're browsing at a coffee shop or other public location, other people can't spy on what you're doing.

HAIF is on a regular http connection.  If you try to combine http:// and https:// content on the same web page, newer web browsers get upset.  They see it as a security problem.  Some will ask if you're sure you want to view both.  Some will just fail one or both connections.

Again, that's what I suspect is happening.  I'll check with the company that makes the HAIF software to be sure.

On 5/19/2016 at 5:24 PM, quietstorm said:

Is anyone else having trouble positing pics to the site?  

All my pics from IMGUR are gone and tried posting some more on Saturday but they won't show up either.

So I did some sniffing around, and it looks like Imgur has banned hotlinking from HAIF.  Apparently someone violated their terms of service, and the way Imgur responds to this is with a kind of a scorched earth policy.  

I'm not sure what part of Imgur's TOS was violated, but if I had to guess I'd say someone is using them to host their avatar, which is a no-no.

You'll have to host your image files elsewhere, or learn to attach them to a message.  I'm going to write to Imgur to see what can be done, but the way internet companies are these days, I expect my message will be ignored.

I've had a productive conversation with Imgur.  The rep confirmed that HAIF was blocked.  But she was not able to track down why, and said it was a mistake.  She says we should be unblocked in the next 24 hours or so.

Yay!

^^^ @editor may you kind sir, please take away that GOD AWFUL decaying wasteland of a hotel upon my icon illustration....  pip_Badge_Hotel.png  and please replace it with something more appealing such as...  609-main-hines-tower-rendering.jpg  this particular 609 main illustration is a bonafide GOD SEND!  i would be VERY HAPPY with this item as my new houston icon illustration.  please dear sir.  thanks in advance.... monarch.   

12 hours ago, editor said:

I've had a productive conversation with Imgur.  The rep confirmed that HAIF was blocked.  But she was not able to track down why, and said it was a mistake.  She says we should be unblocked in the next 24 hours or so.

Yay!

You da man !!

Thanks for helping with this and all your work on this website -- 

14 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Yes! Thanks again for all your hard work. Imgur is showing again. Are there any other hosting site you would recommend for us to use to lessen the load on your server?

I tried to post some pics hosted on Imgur and they didn't show up again - I tried changing http to https but that didn't help - any suggestions ?

^^^ @editor greetings kind sir.  i am awaiting your response regarding my most humble request of changing my ICON ILLUSTRATION from pip_Badge_Hotel.png

to this imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fswamplot  if at all possible.  much obliged, for all that you contribute for us here upon this great forum... and thanks in advance....  

13 hours ago, monarch said:

^^^ @editor greetings kind sir.  i am awaiting your response regarding my most humble request of changing my ICON ILLUSTRATION from pip_Badge_Hotel.png

to this   if at all possible.  much obliged, for all that you contribute for us here upon this great forum... and thanks in advance....  

The icon changes based on your posting history.  You weren't always a hotel, and as you continue to post on HAIF, the icon automatically changes.  The more you contribute, the taller your building. 

14 minutes ago, editor said:

The icon changes based on your posting history.  You weren't always a hotel, and as you continue to post on HAIF, the icon automatically changes.  The more you contribute, the taller your building. 

^^^ @editor aaaaahhhhh.. ok...

Archived