Software Upgrade

editor

You've probably noticed that we just upgraded the HAIF software.  There's a lot of things still churning in the background, so it'll take a few hours for most things to settle down.  One it does, give me a few days to put all the loose pieces back together.

Please explore the new features and such.  Enjoy!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh no! Not this one! This is what Simtropolis uses now (HAIF and it use the same software). I can already see that the posting isn't nearly as antagonistic as Simtropolis is (it still exhibits some behaviors like when writing a post, words that run over to the next line get a dash between them) but it does not hijack right-clicking like Simtropolis does. If I try to copy and paste a URL in, even using the [ url ] BBCode, this is what usually results: [url=http://www.retailwatchers.com/download/file.php?id94]I can't edit this mess and it breaks the link.

Basically, I have to manually use the "Add/Remove Link" button instead of using BBCode. It's a pain, and I'm sorry that HAIF is like that now. Dealing with pictures is even worse (shudder). Things written in BBCode do render properly though provided the link isn't copied and pasted in. The link below goes to my own website as proof of concept.

Carbon-izer

4 hours ago, kylejack said:

Please let me know where I can find the crucial New Posts button!

Check out the "Activity" tab at the top.  I'm kinda digging the All Activity stream.  It's kinda like HAIF:Now was.

4 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

The Icon Below the Lighthouse/Brownstripey Building/Ferris Wheel doesn't look as tidy. Looks good so far. Like the double line space. Thanks!

Yeah, there are some customizations I wrote for the previous software that don't translate into the new system.  It's not really an "upgrade," so much as it's a whole new software package.  So I'll have to re-write some bits.  

Let me know what else you notice is wrong.

4 hours ago, LarryDierker said:

just need the view new content button.

also no preview post/ more reply options?

Hmmm... You're right.  I guess "preview" isn't really necessary anymore since the text editor is fully WYSIWYG.  Before it was kind of a hybrid because not all browsers could handle the advanced features.  But time marches on and those old browser versions are pretty much dead.

I forget what used to be in "more reply options."  Is there a particular function you miss?  

30 minutes ago, editor said:

Hmmm... You're right.  I guess "preview" isn't really necessary anymore since the text editor is fully WYSIWYG.  Before it was kind of a hybrid because not all browsers could handle the advanced features.  But time marches on and those old browser versions are pretty much dead.

I forget what used to be in "more reply options."  Is there a particular function you miss?  

Now that I think about it I can't even remember why I ever used it.

One little thing, I don't see the post number in the corner of the posts. I kinda like the little reminder to just where I am in a thread.

I love the unread content and Activity functionality.

5 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

The Icon Below the Lighthouse/Brownstripey Building/Ferris Wheel doesn't look as tidy. Looks good so far. Like the double line space. Thanks!

Agreed. Along with the bold black font used for the username.

I noticed we can't embed videos anymore, and all existing videos that were embedded into a post are just shown as a link now. Thanks for the updates Editor!

The old way that the avatars and names were was 

Name

The text that goes below the avatar

Custom Banners

Info (the last two *may* have been switched)

Now it goes:

Name

The text that used to go below the avatar

Custom banners

Info

Now the "Soon." totally looks out of place, and will have to be removed. And writing a post adds double spaces when I make a line break. Yuck. 

15 hours ago, IronTiger said:

Oh no! Not this one! This is what Simtropolis uses now (HAIF and it use the same software). I can already see that the posting isn't nearly as antagonistic as Simtropolis is (it still exhibits some behaviors like when writing a post, words that run over to the next line get a dash between them) but it does not hijack right-clicking like Simtropolis does. If I try to copy and paste a URL in, even using the [ url ] BBCode, this is what usually results: [url=http://www.retailwatchers.com/download/file.php?id94]I can't edit this mess and it breaks the link.

Basically, I have to manually use the "Add/Remove Link" button instead of using BBCode. It's a pain, and I'm sorry that HAIF is like that now. Dealing with pictures is even worse (shudder). Things written in BBCode do render properly though provided the link isn't copied and pasted in. The link below goes to my own website as proof of concept.

Carbon-izer

You'll have to be more specific about what you want changed with images.  I don't know what "shudder" means.

As for copying and pasting links producing unexpected results, it sounds like you're copying styled text and when it gets pasted, that styling comes with it.  This can happen a lot if you copy from another web site, or especially a PDF.

I'm not sure what the solution is on Windows, but on a Mac you just use Paste and Match Style (under the Edit menu, or Shift-Command-Apple-V — your shortcut may vary). There's probably a Windows equivalent.

10 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Agreed. Along with the bold black font used for the username.

I noticed we can't embed videos anymore, and all existing videos that were embedded into a post are just shown as a link now. Thanks for the updates Editor!

Test test test.

Embedding video seems to work OK.  I just pasted in the URL.

It's possible that you were looking at some threads with videos in them that hadn't yet been converted to the new system.  With a half million posts to process it may take a little time.  But, as you can see above, new posts are able to have videos embedded immediately.

1 hour ago, Montrose1100 said:

On Mobile, the ads are full desktop width. Causing the website to become narrow. Have to zoom in each time I open a new page.

It looks like a majority if not all are Ad Choice with the option to close. 

Fixed.  At least on iPhone.  Let me know if your mobile device is still having the same problem.

I personally am not a fan of the "All Activity" option, since it shows each topic activity, likes, pretty much any activity. Way too much content when I just want to see the newest topics that have been responded to (the old "view new content"). I did find a solution I like, under "My Activity streams" you can create a custom stream. I did so with topics only then when I went to it I changed the view (top right icon options) to condensed view. This gets me closest to the old view new content and I'm sure I will like it better over time.

54 minutes ago, IronTiger said:

The old way that the avatars and names were was 

Name

The text that goes below the avatar

Custom Banners

Info (the last two *may* have been switched)

Now it goes:

Name

The text that used to go below the avatar

Custom banners

Info

Now the "Soon." totally looks out of place, and will have to be removed.

I'm probably not going to much around in the code to suit your one-word slogan.

And writing a post adds double spaces when I make a line break. Yuck. 

Remember your third grade writing class: If you can't indent a paragraph, then you leave a space between.

6 hours ago, skwatra said:

I personally am not a fan of the "All Activity" option, since it shows each topic activity, likes, pretty much any activity. Way too much content when I just want to see the newest topics that have been responded to (the old "view new content"). I did find a solution I like, under "My Activity streams" you can create a custom stream. I did so with topics only then when I went to it I changed the view (top right icon options) to condensed view. This gets me closest to the old view new content and I'm sure I will like it better over time.

This has been the topic of a lot of discussion on another forum I'm on since they underwent the same software upgrade. I strongly preferred the "view new content" view there as well, but since it's gone and doesn't look like it's coming back any time soon, I've reverted to manually browsing each forum to locate topics containing new content. 

I just tried "unread content" again, I hadn't tried the condensed button before i found the custom stream option. That works as well. I also saw that you can edit your stream settings with the unread option as well. overall this is very customizable and i'm sure 99% of users can find something they like as much, if not better than what was available before.

Maybe you don't have to muck around in code to fit my "one word slogan" but I can't seem to get rid of it, as that appears to be part of my rank ("Ferris Wheel") which is fixed and unchangeable. Maybe disable that feature altogether.

On 3/9/2016 at 4:16 PM, cspwal said:

You can click "unread content" at both the top and the bottom, and you can select the "condensed view" and it acts the same as before

On 3/9/2016 at 4:38 PM, skwatra said:

I just tried "unread content" again, I hadn't tried the condensed button before i found the custom stream option. That works as well. I also saw that you can edit your stream settings with the unread option as well. overall this is very customizable and i'm sure 99% of users can find something they like as much, if not better than what was available before.

This approach seems to work pretty well. There are some differences between the old "new content" view and the default settings for the new "unread content" view, but a combination of the condensed view and tweaking the stream settings to adjust what's displayed narrows most of the differences considerably. 

Archived