Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lou

Darted bricks on Easton Street

7 posts in this topic

The Easton Square Apartments on 7901 Easton Street had darted bricks in the hallway.  I saw them in 1979 and I thought that it was an interesting design.

I have not seen darted bricks anywhere since.  In 2015 I went there to take a picture of them.  So that I could show people what I was talking about if the subject came up.

To my dismay, all of the bricks had been torn down and replaced with inferior quality bricks.  The new bricks are so soft that people are carving their names into them.   The swimming pool is filled with broken bricks.  I guess my opportunity for a photo shoot is in the bottom of that pile.

Would anyone just happen to have a picture of the darted bricks at Easton Square?  Or examples of darted bricks elsewhere?

I am quite familiar with a lot of terms when it comes to building and renovating, but I have never heard of darted bricks. I guess it's off to Google to educate myself first. 

My guess would be that the new bricks used are of the soft mud variety, with the 20% water content, that had not been burned/dried properly, hence their poor quality. This brick type can be the most durable, though, with the right manufacturing conditions. 

On the subject of the original bricks, I'd never heard of darted bricks, either; a question, though - how long have Dart-Tex bricks been around for? I tried looking this up but could not find the related info. The reason I'm asking is, one, out of curiosity and, two, to see if it fits with the timeline of when the building went up.

Dart-tex sounds like darted bricks wirh a more marketable moniker.

From what I can tell, they are used more for asthetic purposes than anything else.

Thank you guys for your informative posts. I liked the pics dear gnu