Affordable Housing In Tanglewood At 2640 Fountain View Dr.

Urbannizer

Affordable Housing Proposal puts Neighbors on Edge 

The Houston Housing Authority, under federal and court pressure to address years of segregation, hopes to break ground this fall on a 233-unit affordable-housing apartment complex at 2640 Fountain View. The project, expected to be completed by 2018, would be the local housing authority's first in an area considered high-end and high opportunity.

1400x1000.jpg

First of all, Fountain View is FAR from being anywhere considered "high end". Which if you look at the aerial, there are dozens of old and probably cheaper apartments then what will be going up at this location.

Why would neighbors be on edge? There are panhandlers on every corner, strangers walking along Westheimer 24/7. 3 Strip Clubs within the area. Give me a break...

First of all, Fountain View is FAR from being anywhere considered "high end". Which if you look at the aerial, there are dozens of old and probably cheaper apartments then what will be going up at this location.

Why would neighbors be on edge? There are panhandlers on every corner, strangers walking along Westheimer 24/7. 3 Strip Clubs within the area. Give me a break...

They're on edge because if they close their eyes and click their heels three times, they can pretend that Three Fountains still exists at the peak of its former shagtastic glory.  The Director of Domestic Bliss's office is in the immediate vicinity... until this was announced, denial wasn't just a river in Egypt or an AA slogan.

• 3 weeks later...

Housing Official Address Worries Over Mixed-Income Complex

Hundreds of residents of the community between the Galleria and Tanglewood came in force to the public meeting at Briargrove Elementary School. The large auditorium was packed with a standing-room-only crowd by the time the meeting began. The opponents often yelled and booed as housing authority President and CEO Tory Gunsolley addressed some of the main resident concerns.

Houston Housing Authority officials attempted to quell concerns Wednesday evening from the critics of a mixed-income housing complex planned in the midst of a high-end community, contending there is a need to build a pro-ject in an area with options for good schools, amenities and low crime rates.

• 10 months later...

This apparently needs a bump...

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/feds-find-houstons-housing-policies-perpetuate-segregation-9111804

...the feds have found Houston to be in violation of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964...

HUD’s investigation of Houston’s housing policies was sparked by Turner’s rejection of the Houston Housing Authority’s proposed affordable housing project in the Galleria area, at 2640 Fountain View Drive — a proposal that was “a key component of HHA’s plan to begin to remedy the legacy of segregation in its housing programs,” as the feds described it. The apartment building would include 20 percent of units at market rate, 70 percent for families earning 60 percent below the median income, and 10 percent to families earning 30 percent or less of the median income.

So yeah, that happened. 

I can't believe the city just denied it without consideration, and I can't believe that the people who live in that area argued fiercely enough so that the city denied it. 

I am glad the federal level is pushing back, and I hope this does eventually get approved. It's a smart project in a smart location.

• The title was changed to Affordable Housing In Tanglewood At 2640 Fountain View Dr.

Archived