Price's Hamburgers

blue92

When I was a kid growing in Houston (1950-60s) there was a a hamburger joint on the corner of Bellaire  Blvd. and Sella Link by the name of Price's Hamburgers that sold 19cent  hamburgers does anyone on here know it's history. They were made with there own special sauce (which tasted like thousand island dressing). My family would load up like once a month and go there and buy a bag full of them.

Edited by blue92

Prices was a chain - several around Houston area. I remember one at corner of Belfort & MLK (then South Park), one in Pasadena, one on Jensen Drive & several others, mostly on east side of town. They had 19 cent burgers (similar to Mac Donald's), 12 cent fries (from fresh potatoes, cut on site) and 10 cent cokes & apple pies. I left Houston in '63, so not sure when they ceased to exist.

I'd also be interested if anyone knows anything about history.

Edited by ernie5823
  • Like 1

Price's Hamburgers was the brainchild of Price Lovelady. According to a newspaper story way back when, he was financed by one of the Klebergs of King Ranch fame in exchange for 50% of the profits.

For a short time he sponsored and appeared on a local kiddie show called Uncle Price's Party. This would have been in the early 60s. He seemed uncomfortable around the kids.

• Like 2

I've commented before about this, but yes I remember the Price's on Bellaire at Stella Link. This particular location had a painted board cut out of "Humpty Dumpty" mounted outside on the fence. Kids could walk up to the figure and talk to "Humpty Dumpty". There was a speaker and microphone mounted behind the board where the clerk inside could converse with us kids. The whole thing was cheap and cheesy, but as a 4 or 5 year kid, we loved it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/23/2017 at 11:13 PM, Stacy Maloy said:

I am Price's daughter and was too young to remember his restaurants but I have a scrapbook of the menu's, TV show, etc.    I would love to know where this sign is today?  Any idea where this photo was taken?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/slaidblade/3871451920

See the comment below the photo from the person who uploaded it.

• 1 year later...
On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:13 PM, Stacy Maloy said:

I am Price's daughter and was too young to remember his restaurants but I have a scrapbook of the menu's, TV show, etc.    I would love to know where this sign is today?  Any idea where this photo was taken?

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:54 PM, Dave W said:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/slaidblade/3871451920

See the comment below the photo from the person who uploaded it.

Always loved Prices Hamburgers and the sauce was what made the burgers, nothing like it anymore, wish they were back!! Great memories!!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 7:02 PM, Garry O. said:

I remember the place on Stella Link and Bellaire Blvd. There was no inside to eat. There was approx 8-10 windows on the outside to order your food. At the busy time of day there was 10-15 people in line. This was before McDonalds.   

I also remember this drivein on Bellaire and Stella Link and the 19 cent hamburgers. I thought this was the first drive in but maybe Princes?

• 1 year later...

There was also a Price's in Spring Branch, that was on Wirt Rd just south of Long Point, and yep, my sister and I would have long conversations with the clown face on the fence.   I loved their burgers, too.  Wonderful memories....!!!

• 1 month later...

I worked at Price's around 1961 in Dallas.  At $0.90 per hour, uniforms furnished, and half price on food. There were three stores in Dallas. Mine was in an old McDonalds, with the gold arches. We had a covered outside eating area with a gravel floor and the plywood figure we talked to the kids through. We all hated having to clean the area and rake the gravel.
I have good memories of flipping hamburgers and making the best fries in town. We peeled a sack of russet potatoes in a big machine and cut them into fries. Then we soaked them in water, drained and then blanched at 350 and then deep fried at 450. We made our own sauce with ketchup, mayo, and mustard. The hamburger patties were nine to a pound.
19 cent burgers, 24 cent cheese burgers, 19 cent shakes and fries, 10 cent sodas and we never wrote the orders down. 

• 6 months later...

I worked at Prices's in Oak Cliff. I do remember raking the gravel every morning and peeling the potatoes. My boss was named Roger and he loved to bowl. I entered a contest for Price's and my story was " The day in the life of a Price's trashcan". We had a lot of fun selling hamburgers. Roger would set up contests seeing how many hamburgers we could sell in a period of time. Our microphone was set up by the french fry vats to talk to the kids. They fell for it every time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...