HISD Renaming 3 More Schools With Ties To The Confederacy

Blue Dogs

Ladies & gentlemen, just wanted to know if y'all heard about the decision by the HISD School Board, who voted last night to rename 3 more schools with ties to the Confederacy. I want your reaction to these developments:

http://abc13.com/education/hisd-to-rename-3-more-schools-with-confederate-ties/1197316/

Predicting some of the alumni of these high schools are going to file a lawsuit with backing from TX State Attorney General Ken Paxton [R] & Co.,

I'm pretty annoyed by the HISD board action. The comments by Jolanda Jones and Rhonda Skillern-Jones were the normal race baiting you would expect from those 2, and the whole exercise is a waste of money at a time when the district is likely to have a $100 million shortfall in funding.

Yeah, I'm a big history buff and don't like to see things changed like this, but I'll have to agree the decision here. These names need to be history books, on memorials or at museums and such. Our public school buildings are not the place for them. However I'd have to guess that most of the students don't give a crap, and probably aren't even aware of who Jeff Davis or Sidney Lanier are. 

Yeah, I'm a big history buff and don't like to see things changed like this, but I'll have to agree the decision here. These names need to be history books, on memorials or at museums and such. Our public school buildings are not the place for them. However I'd have to guess that most of the students don't give a crap, and probably aren't even aware of who Jeff Davis or Sidney Lanier are. 

It appears that you don't know who Sidney Lanier is either.  He wasn't a Confederate General or something, he was just a common soldier.  He is not famous for fighting in the Civil War, he is famous for being a musician, poet and author.  I am fine with the removal of people who are only famous for fighting in the Civil War on the side of the south, but this just isn't the same thing.

Time to follow the only true path to school naming. P.S. 1, P.S. 2, P.S. 3, P.S. 4...

Or better yet, just sell naming rights and help defray the HISD deficit.

"My kid goes to Finger's Furniture Middle School!" Helluva bumper sticker.

Time to follow the only true path to school naming. P.S. 1, P.S. 2, P.S. 3, P.S. 4...

Or better yet, just sell naming rights and help defray the HISD deficit.

"My kid goes to Finger's Furniture Middle School!" Helluva bumper sticker.

Or Gallery Furniture High School - Really. Will. Teach. You. Maaaaaath!

• 1 month later...
On Monday, February 15, 2016 at 8:39 AM, cspwal said:

It's renaming a high school already called "Reagan" though.  Half the parents probably already think it is named for Ronald Reagan

WOW. Really ? ROFLOL!

On 2/12/2016 at 9:54 AM, kbates2 said:

It appears that you don't know who Sidney Lanier is either.  He wasn't a Confederate General or something, he was just a common soldier.  He is not famous for fighting in the Civil War, he is famous for being a musician, poet and author.  I am fine with the removal of people who are only famous for fighting in the Civil War on the side of the south, but this just isn't the same thing.

Well excuse me!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 7:09 PM, plumber2 said:

Well excuse me!

Jolanda Jones getting uppity again with her brash crap!

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/lanier-parents-want-jolanda-jones-to-apologize-to-middle-school-students-8352681

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 6:43 PM, IronTiger said:

To be honest, I'm a little surprised they did this, even if it did seem like the most obvious choice in retrospect.

Iron Tiger, no word if the parents will have a hissy fit on the name changes.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think Heights High School is confusing given that there's already a Houston Heights High School. To me, the whole process was very witch hunt-y and rather unnecessary. If it's that much of a big deal, then as the schools go up for replacement, THEN start fresh with a new name.

John H. Reagan wasn't even that much of a bad guy, I can't find anything where he owned slaves, he only resigned from Congress after it was clear Texas would secede, and afterwards, cooperated with the federal government and advocated letting freed slaves vote.

Ironically, given how scorched-earth HISD behaves, their very namesake played a part in Civil War history. He resigned rather than swear to it, but he refused an offer to have troops sent over to squash rebellion, and was mostly against the Civil War due to wanting to avoid bloodshed rather than any particular loyalty to the Union (Houston supported states' rights). I imagine some would argue that makes him just as guilty.

But...whatever we may think of the affair, HISD chooses to make its mark in history. We make choices on a whim, not knowing how it will affect future generations. We all want to make the world a better place, be on "the right side of history". Of course, sometimes those ideas often conflict, often end disastrously, and often the target as to what "the right side of history" moves. We will never know if our era will be seen as a golden era of freedom for everyone, or the beginning of a dark age where depravity reigned supreme as radicals sought to destroy a nation that gave them power. The best advice is just to fight for what you believe in, and history will eventually sort itself out.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:22 AM, IronTiger said:

I think Heights High School is confusing given that there's already a Houston Heights High School. To me, the whole process was very witch hunt-y and rather unnecessary. If it's that much of a big deal, then as the schools go up for replacement, THEN start fresh with a new name.

John H. Reagan wasn't even that much of a bad guy, I can't find anything where he owned slaves, he only resigned from Congress after it was clear Texas would secede, and afterwards, cooperated with the federal government and advocated letting freed slaves vote.

Ironically, given how scorched-earth HISD behaves, their very namesake played a part in Civil War history. He resigned rather than swear to it, but he refused an offer to have troops sent over to squash rebellion, and was mostly against the Civil War due to wanting to avoid bloodshed rather than any particular loyalty to the Union (Houston supported states' rights). I imagine some would argue that makes him just as guilty.

But...whatever we may think of the affair, HISD chooses to make its mark in history. We make choices on a whim, not knowing how it will affect future generations. We all want to make the world a better place, be on "the right side of history". Of course, sometimes those ideas often conflict, often end disastrously, and often the target as to what "the right side of history" moves. We will never know if our era will be seen as a golden era of freedom for everyone, or the beginning of a dark age where depravity reigned supreme as radicals sought to destroy a nation that gave them power. The best advice is just to fight for what you believe in, and history will eventually sort itself out.

But will the lawsuit from several alumni of the high schools go anywhere ?

• The title was changed to HISD Renaming 3 More Schools With Ties To The Confederacy

Archived