Highland Village Shopping Center At 4055 Westheimer Rd.

Highland Village is one of the best shopping areas in Houston. I think that Houston needs more of theses type of shopping areas. I just wish that the shopping was closer to the road (More Urban), but it's great how it is.

Does anyone know of any new shopping areas going up that area comparable to Highland Village?

http://www.shophighlandvillage.com/graphics/index16.gifhttp://www.shophighlandvillage.com/graphics/index17.gif

• Like 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Market Watch January 2004

Open Air Centers vs. Enclosed Malls

Date: November 19, 2003

Speaker: Steve Weingarten, Executive VP, Weingarten Realty

Organization: O'Connor & Associates

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My remarks will be primarily about open air centers in Houston versus enclosed malls and, more specifically, I will focus more on grocery anchored community and neighborhood centers, since that

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Feb. 17, 2005, 7:00AM

Yao's restaurant taking Chinese food to new heights

Rockets center's parents will run a stylish eatery and sports bar on Westheimer

By DAI HUYNH

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Bill Olive / For the Chronicle

From left, Yao Ming's parents, Yao Zhiyuan and Fang Fengdi, are opening Yao Restaurant and Bar on Monday.

The seven-figure salary. The high-powered agents. The commercial endorsement deals.

dai.huynh@chron.com

Edited to remove copyrighted content

Edited by Subdude

I'm sorry, did I say H? I meant N.... and I'm on the 4th floor.. not 6th. Momentary lapse of reason. :P

Back to Yao's though, it should be decent fair. I've always liked Fu's Garden. Sounds like my lunch gang will be infiltrating the establishment on monday. I'll report back our findings.

Please do, I want to put this on a "suggestion" list if the food is good enough and would be a great place to suggest out of town Chinese Clients.

I might even forsake my favorite resturant to go to Yao's a time or two.

Boofay's suck. IMNSHO.

Ricco

Last night (Saturday) me and a couple of buddies took off to Ginger Man pub in Rice Village. When we pulled into the arcade area the streets were packed everywhere, there was litteraly no where to park for blocks. we eventually got lucky and found a place. When we finally made it to the bar it was like sardines in a can, and it wasn't the only place like that. Every single bar (and grill) were packed to the hilt and we found it impossible to get in anywhere, so we left.

We then headed to Rudyards on Waugh and encountered the same thing so we left. We then went to the Continental Club on Main to find it worse than all of them and that was with a $15.00 cover. Since we were already on Main we decided to head Downtown and hit a beer pub (Mcelroys) which is also on Main.

When we got close to the area I was blown away by the thousands of people (and cars) swamping Main and Prarie. It was so packed that we had to park 9 blocks from where we were going. When we eventually made it on foot to Main it looked almost like Mardi Gras. The streets were packed to the gills with people. Every bar had lines going into them and in fact some bars had lines with over 100 people well past 1:00am.

When we got to Mcelroys we got very lucky to find a table outside being cleared so we grabbed it. As we sat back drinking Black & Tans we people watched for two hours as hundreds passed by our table on the street. I know the ladies may not appreciate this but the girls outnumbered the boys about 4 to 1, it was great. We also observed how young the crowd was, probably an average of between 22 to 26.

When we finally decided to head home around 1:30am the bars were still full and the people were still there.

I jus thought it was a great night to experience the Houston night life, this city is really up and coming and I'm proud to live here.

We then went to the Continental Club on Main to find it worse than all of them and that was with a $15.00 cover.

The reason that the cover was $15 last night at Continental was that Dave Alvin was playing there. He is a Grammy award winning artist and is nationally known from his days playing with The Blasters, one of the original southern California rockabilly bands. Great show by the way, definitely worth the price of admission, even though it was very crowded.

Wow sounds like things are really happening Downtown and in the Village. Makes me wish I was still young. I was in bed by 11:00 last night. I even had to tape SNL. Of course I did kinda overdo it Friday night.

Girls outnumbering guys 4 to 1? That's incredible. I like those odds.

I always thought the Village had great potential as a place to party. Wonder why someone doesn't open a small hotel right in the middle of all the activity there. Guests could walk to all the stores, restaurants, and bars.

Is there any hope for the Richmond Strip?

Well, the richmond strip is still going, but not like in the old days. T-Town2000 and the Sam's strips are still going on strong. Another place which is surprising is a place called, "The Palace" and that seems to be alot of activity there after hours.

I'm up 3-5am on the weekends with clients, so I get to know a bunch of things about the nightlife. :P

Ricco

The reason that the cover was $15 last night at Continental was that Dave Alvin was playing there. He is a Grammy award winning artist and is nationally known from his days playing with The Blasters, one of the original southern California rockabilly bands. Great show by the way, definitely worth the price of admission, even though it was very crowded.

That explains it. Damn I wish I had known that, I'm sure it was a great show. This is off subject but have you seen "Beetle"? There supposed to be the Thursday night house band (Continental) and I've heard some pretty good things about em..

That explains it. Damn I wish I had known that, I'm sure it was a great show. This is off subject but have you seen "Beetle"? There supposed to be the Thursday night house band (Continental) and I've heard some pretty good things about em..

Yeah, they're not bad. The Bebe brothers pretty much dominate the Continental club's lineup during the week. The El Orbits play on Mondays and Lightrock Express on Wednesdays. They're all cover bands, but the atmosphere is great, admission is free and drinks are cheap. I wish there were more places like the Continental Club in Houston. But luckily we're only a few hours from Austin and SXSW is coming up!

Yeah, they're not bad. The Bebe brothers pretty much dominate the Continental club's lineup during the week. The El Orbits play on Mondays and Lightrock Express on Wednesdays. They're all cover bands, but the atmosphere is great, admission is free and drinks are cheap. I wish there were more places like the Continental Club in Houston. But luckily we're only a few hours from Austin and SXSW is coming up!

Great I'm going Thursday night! Speaking of SXSW how is that going now days? Back in 91 I played with a Texas band by the name of Stride and the atmosphere was great. Oddly enough none of us were from Texas, they had just moved here from GIT in LA.

Ate here today for lunch. Food was good. Reminded me of PF Changs. A friend had the lettuce wraps and loved them. The kitchen was in a bit of disarray. So was the seating. We had different hostess' taking us to different places in the restaurant. The food took a bit long to get to us and then the credit card machine was down. Our normal 45 minute lunch ended up taking about 2 hours. I'm sure things will improve quickly. Yao's parents did go around and greet all the tables and were trying to help out as much as possible.

They have a seven or eight item luncheon menu. My total came to a little under $10.

I have been to see Beetle many times as I am a huge Beatle fan. It is a good time and the price is right (free). I like the Continental Club a lot. They have always treated me and my group very well even though we are somewhat past the prime clubgoing age group. And the atmosphere is laid back and unpretentious. It's a neat old building- I wonder what it used to be before? One suggestion for Beetle- mix in an acoustic guitar or two every now and then. They were an important part of the Beatles sound. Hearing "Two of Us" with electric guitars just isn't the same.

10 Bucks a person? Not bad. I should try it one day. Oh, and maybe it took 2 hours because it was the grand opening, and it was crowded, or something.