Last Tube Tv

gnu

Hold onto it for a few more years and they'll probably be back in style/worth a fortune ;)

Yeah.  I can put it with my old CRT Computer Monitor too! 

So, anyone have any suggestions?  I know Goodwill stopped taking them and most of the electronics recyclers only take computer parts

Westpark consumer recycling says it accepts TVs in general. Doesn't specify if they'll take CRTs... May be worth a shot.

http://www.houstontx.gov/solidwaste/westpark.html

Cool.  I wonder if they will accept a water bill as proof of residency?

I just own rental property in the city limits but I am no longer an actual resident.

Cool.  I wonder if they will accept a water bill as proof of residency?

I just own rental property in the city limits but I am no longer an actual resident.

You are probably out of luck. They will accept a utility bill as proof of residency, but the name and address on it has to match the name and address on your driver's license or photo ID:

http://www.houstontx.gov/solidwaste/depositories.html

I wound up paying my yard guy $20 to haul off my last CRT when it died after 15 years of use, but it was a 36" set that weighed almost 200 lbs. There was no way it was going to fit in my car, and moving it anywhere was a two-person job. 

I dropped off a 27" at Westpark in July, didn't have to show any ID.  Never have there - computers, tvs, vcrs, induction cooktops.

At the Environmental Services Ctr on S. Post Oak, a driver's license and signature were required.  At the Neighborhood Recycling Ctr on 59 @ BW 8, just a sig for paper, plastic, tin cans, utility bill for bigger items like mattresses, remodeling debris.

• 3 weeks later...

Am I just that deep in the hood, or what? In this neighborhood, we just put them out on the curb and watch them find a new home in all of 15 minutes.

Ha ha, I actually lived in a neighborhood in college like that in College Station. It wasn't sketchy and was considered to be safe (if no longer fashionable) but even junky furniture disappeared in less time than it would take to get a pizza delivered.

Am I just that deep in the hood, or what? In this neighborhood, we just put them out on the curb and watch them find a new home in all of 15 minutes.

People do that around here as well, but how quickly something disappears depends on the perceived salvage value. I've occasionally seen old TVs sit for a week or more with no takers, but when I had to replace my water heater, the old one was gone in less than half an hour after we dropped it curbside. No doubt the next stop was C&D Scrap Metal after reclaiming the copper. 

That is too funny, mkultra. I just replaced my side by side fridge last month. Carried the old fridge out to the curb and left it. Within 10 minutes, there's a woman out there removing every bit of shelving out of it, the ice maker, and the door trays. I mean, she stripped it clean. Within another half hour, here comes two guys in a beat up old Chevy with an even more beat up trailer behind it, and they don't even bother opening it up. Two seconds and it's off the curb, loaded up, and they're hopping back in the truck. I tell you what, I never saw that efficient of disposal service up in Camden Park, but here in Acres Home, it's a whole other ballgame.

Archived