Houston TV Stations

Ashikaga

That's ringing a vague bell - spoken before announcing the movie for that night, maybe?

I think it was part of the last verse.

Yes - Weird (spelling correction) was great with the opening shots of Seymour's flying saucer and the echoing "wwweeeiiirrrddd".

I believe there was a Late Weird too but I never got to stay up that late.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it was part of the last verse.

Yes - Weird (spelling correction) was great with the opening shots of Seymour's flying saucer and the echoing "wwweeeiiirrrddd".

I believe there was a Late Weird too but I never got to stay up that late.

Only my brother and me ever remember talking of this bizarre show. It was super scary, really scary!

I just remember a voice over mans voice saying WEIIIIRRRRRRDDDDD (Weird). I cant even remember what the episodes were about but the one that sticks out is when the did that guys voice there was a major scary space aliens face turning and staring at the camera! Freaky and his face looked all ripped up bloody and caved in. This was a real shocker for mid-60's kids TV, I think. I had nightmares for years about it.

I sure wish someone could do research and see what the hell this show was about and created, etc. Can you buy?

Now I may start having nightmares again after 40 yrs! Eeeekk! :blink::ph34r:

Only my brother and me ever remember talking of this bizarre show. It was super scary, really scary!

I just remember a voice over mans voice saying WEIIIIRRRRRRDDDDD (Weird). I cant even remember what the episodes were about but the one that sticks out is when the did that guys voice there was a major scary space aliens face turning and staring at the camera! Freaky and his face looked all ripped up bloody and caved in. This was a real shocker for mid-60's kids TV, I think. I had nightmares for years about it.

I sure wish someone could do research and see what the hell this show was about and created, etc. Can you buy?

Now I may start having nightmares again after 40 yrs! Eeeekk! :blink::ph34r:

I recall touring the KTRK studio somewhere around 1964 (WEIRD days). As the technician showed me some of the equipment, he reached into a projector device and pulled out the "Weird" display overlay. The face was on a card about 3" by 5". I guess I can say that was the weirdest thing I ever held in my hand. During program start, a second "motion pattern" layer was superimposed through it as they zoomed in on the "cat's eye" center of the face during the movie intro.

I loved the Weird series! It was simply the airing our favorite old "B-flick" monster movies. It was sorta like an Elvira presentation, but with no commentator. Hey, that would have been a great moonlight gig for Kitirik!

Weird was a local program that came on channel 13 KTRK around 10:30 PM on Saturday nights. It featured horror movies and didn't have it's own home-grown material other than the opening and closing. I seem to remember the opening showing shots of Seymour's saucer (Cadet Don's alien puppet) flying in space and Weird materializing from haze and, of course, the voice.

Maybe you're thinking of the Outer Limits or something like that? I think it had an alien face in addition to the "Do not attempt to adjust your set!" intro.

Weird was a local program that came on channel 13 KTRK around 10:30 PM on Saturday nights. It featured horror movies and didn't have it's own home-grown material other than the opening and closing. I seem to remember the opening showing shots of Seymour's saucer (Cadet Don's alien puppet) flying in space and Weird materializing from haze and, of course, the voice.

Maybe you're thinking of the Outer Limits or something like that? I think it had an alien face in addition to the "Do not attempt to adjust your set!" intro.

Your both correct. I was only about 5-6 years old so you can see why it's all so hazy except of course the being scared to death of the voice part.

We used to lay on the floor watching with a bed sheet covering is so when something frightening appeared we would just pull it over for protection. As if a bedsheet would shield you from an outer-space alien with a ray gun!lol :D

I cant wait to give my big bro an update of another Houston mystery solved! Grazie!

By the way, were the KTRK studios always in the same spot or had it moved around over the years???

kids_watch_tv.jpg

And there was snow on your tv and:

"What you see on your screen is space,

Solid, Solitary, Mysterious, Space,

But beware, beware the advance of science.

You are about to witness Science-Fiction-Theatre."

joe

The Late Show.

First the news and weather then the Late Show.

The greatest movies ever and they can be seen,

Right on your TV screen.

Weird's opening scared the bejezus outta me: the whirling sound of the saucer then the crash and the dramatic Da-Da-DUM music and the creepy voice drawing out the word Wiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrddddddd *shudder*. I I think it came on at about midnight on Saturdays

I still remember shifting back and forth between Weird's showing of The Giant Spider and the Late Show's showing of The Invisible Man, a rare sci fi twosome.

Many years ago there was a TV talk show in Houston called Morris Frank. Does anyone remember it?

By the way, were the KTRK studios always in the same spot or had it moved around over the years???

kids_watch_tv.jpg

First question: It wasn't a TV talk show. It was a regular TV commentary by longtime Houston Chronicle columnist Morris Frank. Frank was a genuine "character" in Texas newspaper circles. He got famous as a sports writer and columnist in the 30s, 40s and 50s, and he was hugely popular on the banquet and "after-dinner" speech circuit because of his funny takes on sports and living in Texas. Along with his sports columns, he wrote a regular "look at life" column called "Of Cabbages and Kings."

Frank was a natural for TV, so KTRK put him on the air in the 50s and 60s and 70s with a regular commentary feature called "From the Morris Chair", which ran at the end of the nightly newscast. I remember he also did the sports in the nightly newscasts from time to time, and he was a hoot to watch. Those were the days of the old Southwest Conference, and his rundown of the college football scores went something like this:

(in the most East Texas accent you ever heard) "Well, I see where the Texases beat the Rices, the Aggies beat the Techs, the Baptists beat the Methodists, and the Arkansaw's beat the Christians."

Nobody ever got offended because he was Morris Frank and you knew he loved everybody equally.

Frank's columns and TV commentaries were very popular right up to his death in 1975. I guess you could describe Morris Frank as a Texas version of Will Rogers. He and I came from the same town, Lufkin, and I still miss him.

Here's a short bio written by one of his friends and former colleagues. http://www.lufkindailynews.com/services/co...rris_frank.html

As for the KTRK studios, it was originally on Cullen just south of Wheeler on the University of Houston campus, in a little building that's still there. KTRK built it to go on the air in 1954. A few years later, KTRK moved to its present studio on Bissonett, and donated the old building to KUHT, the university TV station. It was the home of Houston PBS for years, until KUHT TV and KUHF Radio moved into the new Melcher Center for Public Broadcasting on Elgin in 2001.

Now here is a good question for whomever can answer. I had mentioned this in a another thread but never got an answer.

Weingarten's used to sell you tickets or reciepts that had numbers for a horse racing show that would be glimpsed or announced at I think during the news or after the news.

When you checked out at Weingartens's they gave you these numbers that Paul Bosch? would announce it as "Let's Go To The Races! they showed the horses coming in to home stretch and then announce the winner. I am almost certain it was Paul Boschs's voice that came on this 2-3 minute program.

I would hit the floor if someone actually remember this rare deal. I clearly recall his unique voice. This must have aired around 1966-69? ish?

A million for whomever can give the right answer! :lol:

Now here is a good question for whomever can answer. I had mentioned this in a another thread but never got an answer.

Weingarten's used to sell you tickets or reciepts that had numbers for a horse racing show that would be glimpsed or announced at I think during the news or after the news.

When you checked out at Weingartens's they gave you these numbers that Paul Bosch? would announce it as "Let's Go To The Races! they showed the horses coming in to home stretch and then announce the winner. I am almost certain it was Paul Boschs's voice that came on this 2-3 minute program.

I would hit the floor if someone actually remember this rare deal. I clearly recall his unique voice. This must have aired around 1966-69? ish?

A million for whomever can give the right answer! :lol:

I kinda remember it (I was real young at the time) -- but wasn't the announcer Dick Gottlieb rather than Paul Boesch? And wasn't there a spokesmodel named "Janet Wentworth", as well?

I kinda remember it (I was real young at the time) -- but wasn't the announcer Dick Gottlieb rather than Paul Boesch? And wasn't there a spokesmodel named "Janet Wentworth", as well?

Yes! It was Dick Gottlieb! I just remember he sounded like Tony the Tiger and had a big nose like Hoagy Carmichael. The ladies name rings a bell but I was a kid too and its all seems so fuzzy too. I am almost certain you got the right announcer, but I want to know how long it lasted and what station ran it.

First question: It wasn't a TV talk show. It was a regular TV commentary by longtime Houston Chronicle columnist Morris Frank. Frank was a genuine "character" in Texas newspaper circles. He got famous as a sports writer and columnist in the 30s, 40s and 50s, and he was hugely popular on the banquet and "after-dinner" speech circuit because of his funny takes on sports and living in Texas. Along with his sports columns, he wrote a regular "look at life" column called "Of Cabbages and Kings."

Frank was a natural for TV, so KTRK put him on the air in the 50s and 60s and 70s with a regular commentary feature called "From the Morris Chair", which ran at the end of the nightly newscast. I remember he also did the sports in the nightly newscasts from time to time, and he was a hoot to watch. Those were the days of the old Southwest Conference, and his rundown of the college football scores went something like this:

(in the most East Texas accent you ever heard) "Well, I see where the Texases beat the Rices, the Aggies beat the Techs, the Baptists beat the Methodists, and the Arkansaw's beat the Christians."

Nobody ever got offended because he was Morris Frank and you knew he loved everybody equally.

Frank's columns and TV commentaries were very popular right up to his death in 1975. I guess you could describe Morris Frank as a Texas version of Will Rogers. He and I came from the same town, Lufkin, and I still miss him.

Here's a short bio written by one of his friends and former colleagues. http://www.lufkindailynews.com/services/co...rris_frank.html

As for the KTRK studios, it was originally on Cullen just south of Wheeler on the University of Houston campus, in a little building that's still there. KTRK built it to go on the air in 1954. A few years later, KTRK moved to its present studio on Bissonett, and donated the old building to KUHT, the university TV station. It was the home of Houston PBS for years, until KUHT TV and KUHF Radio moved into the new Melcher Center for Public Broadcasting on Elgin in 2001.

Excellent! He was much more popular that I thought. Yes, from over 40 years ago I remember the pre-cable/dish only network stations in Houston were KTRK (ABC, Channel 13), KHOU (CBS, Channel 11), and KPRC (Channel 2), and I think, but I'm not certain, that PBS was on Channel 8, but I don't remember the call letters.

I'm just taking a guess, but would the "Baptists" that Morris Frank was referring to be Baylor? I could clearly see SMU and TCU. Oh, yes. The Southwest Conference. You had the name of every college in your head. You knew that they would alternate playing sites each year. And, yes, that b&w picture of the kids sitting in front of the b&w TV brings back memories.

Yes! It was Dick Gottlieb! I just remember he sounded like Tony the Tiger and had a big nose like Hoagy Carmichael. The ladies name rings a bell but I was a kid too and its all seems so fuzzy too. I am almost certain you got the right announcer, but I want to know how long it lasted and what station ran it.

I think it was on channel 13 -- that's from fuzzy memory, but I think it was mentioned on another thread on the forum as well.

I think it was on channel 13 -- that's from fuzzy memory, but I think it was mentioned on another thread on the forum as well.

Dick Gottlieb never worked for KTRK. He worked at KPRC almost from its beginnings until the 60s when he left to get into city politics. He served a couple of terms on City Council and ran two very close and contentious races for mayor in the 70s.

Dick Gottlieb was just as nice in person as he was on TV.

Remember:

Kitirik (I went on her show for my 8th birthday)

Dr. Hudson's Secret Journal

I led 3 lives

Highway Patrol with Broderik Crawford

"And now, The FBI...IN COLOR!" (I think "Living Color" was NBC's trademark)

Andy Devine Show with Squeeky the mouse, Midnight the cat and "pluck your magic twanger, Froggy" all sponsored by Sugar Pops

Cadet Don

Mary Jane's Magic Castle

For some reason (to me anyway) "Dialing for Dollars" stands out.

Wasn't this a local Channel 13 show?

Who was the host?

See how dated it really sounds now? Dial as in rotary phones! I still recall how the turning by finger would hurt so much as it dug into your skin. There is an old movie where a jeweler was actually selling the person a rotary phone finger holder. :lol: lol

I think the premise of that show was if numbers were called out like in a roulette wheel the viewer had to call in (dial in) within a certain time to win money!

Couldn't imagine this with cell phones, but maybe it could be?

From HAIF topic Houston TV Talk Shows- Houston and the Media, February 4, 2005:

Yes, Dialing for Dollars was on for about 30 years starting in the mid to late 1960s on KTRK 13 the KiTiRiK network. Betty Rogers and Paul Schmitt (piano legend who worked with Willie Nelson, Marietta Marich, June Christy and Jimmy Dorsey) were the early and long time hosts. The young and dashing male hosts who seemed to not stay around too long included Bob Hilton and Don Nelson among others. Nelson is still there today, a fixture on the morning news.

The show was renamed Good Morning Houston around 1980 I believe. Betty Rogers stayed on for a while and Jan Glen, the perky former West Texas cheer leader joined in. Remember those fashion segments? Every Wednesday was Ben Shaw day. He was a model agency director and represented some of our towns best models including Dallas Hill and her daughter Wilomina(?), Warner Roberts, and Molly Ward I believe. Warner Roberts later had her own talk show on channel 39 or 26 at midday. (She was all about love.)

But the main thing about Dialing for Dollars was just that- THE DIALING! Oh it was so exciting.............at the opening of each show they made the big announcement of the COUNT and the AMOUNT. They had cut every page of the local telephone directory into small sections. For example, if the COUNT was 3 from the bottom, that was the telephone number they would call from the section they had drawn and if that person answered, they would ask for the COUNT and the AMOUNT. The jackpot went up $10.00 for every person that did not answer or did not know the COUNT and the AMOUNT when they were called.

We faithfully watched every day in the summer and on school holidays but they never called. We always thought their bin had lost our little slip. Can you imagine the thrill of the station interns when the new telephone directories had to be prepared for the bin! Remember their set? Yellow and lime green lattice work with plastic ivy. It was a garden party scene and they had a live audience that sat at round tables. They had all the big stars of the day on that were traveling the country pushing their new projects. I was fortunate to obtain a movie poster autographed by Jack Lemon while in Houston appearing on Dialing for Dollars, from the estate of Betty Rogers, that once hung in her office.

If they still had this show would they call it Pushing for Dollars?

I think he did a lot of audio work.. Commercials, etc. He had a good "broadcaster"

voice. He was the voice behind much stuff they aired back then, although you

would never see him on the screen. Or as I recall anyway..

I know a guy who's dad worked at Ch 13 as a film editor going way back.

Maybe even from when it opened, but I'm not sure.. He died a few years

ago though. He used to be able to tell a few stories about that place.

I went to jr. high school with Wayne Dolcefino. We were both drummers

in the band.. In the band room we were in the back row, and everyone else

sat in front of us, facing the blackboard and Mr. Mueller the band director.

We used to take empty bic pen tubes and shoot small spitwad paper projectiles

at the necks of all in front of us. They would pelt and stick to whatever they

hit. I watch him on teevee sometimes and wonder if he remembers that.. :/

There is quite a bit of old TV and commercials on youtube if you search it

a bit.

As an example: a few old commercials..

Myself, I like the old car commercials..

Here are a few to keep you busy a while...

Yes, I realize I probably have too much time on my hands.. :/

They are kewl though if you are an old car nut like me..

I have a few hour long collections that were on there, but they

yanked em due to a copywrite problem or whatever..

I saved the files, but they are too big to put online..

But.. Many that were in that collection are in this list individually.

I've looked for any old Houston TV clips, but haven't seen any

yet. There is quite a bit more on there. Some clips of old programs,

etc.. BTW, if you use firefox, and the add on media viewer,

you can save those files to disk.

32 ford promo- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNAele2PHZc

32 essex terraplane- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVh7sZl2H8c

37 plymouth- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPqfC5SFZfI

41 olds special 60 b-44- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkEPTwc9Qe0

41 olds dynamic 70 b-44- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBnj7yynt_I

41 olds magic carpet hydromatic- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qul77-xgjOU

41 olds custom 8 cruiser b-44- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWp_-C34gjE

41 olds b-44- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx0kiVyP-iI

41 olds defense- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5NxfDS94YA

48 olds futuramic- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2ZorkAD6O4

49 olds futeramic- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNpdUua0urE

49 ford - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCYr3MvnjpQ...ted&search=

50 olds- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8lj0nt7_EM

52 chevy- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGZvQoPxhNs

54 chevy corvette-

55 de soto#2- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5hobfIlsGE

55 de soto- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seG0BQ8fLec

55 nash-

55 nash rambler- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G64bXqvpMfg

55 chevy- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvHUUWaLfUc

55 chevy/color- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-Vz4ZrDLms

56 chevy promo- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b29iLQGv_CA

56 chevy- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A1UDmW0P_A

56 chevy- stunt cars-

56 ford- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDk_TEM257k

57 ford- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dWRLS_VCCU

57 ford retractable-

57 plymouth- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkpcbrekJwE

57 de soto- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmhTLcKevZc

57 chevy-

57 chevy task force trucks-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDZm7w-IovM

57 lincoln- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUkyPVRmZ3Q

57 olds- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcU4FrrjN-4

58 de soto- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvvuiYGVOQU

58 plymouth-

58 plymouth--

58 ford- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYX89ufRrMU

59 chevy-

59 chevy bel air-

59chevywagon- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSo-hlDK8sQ

59 dodge- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeiS-Yl6UjI

59 de soto- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCsTZV3hyYI

60chevy corvette/impala- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-RjR1bjJSo

60 plymouth-

60 ford- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FJQu1rHbQ4

60 ford- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0WrMsb5lRM

60 ford T bird- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3PpbxrIuc4

61 chevy- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpOCLD6RfCU

61 chevy testing- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2aVi2gp2ZY

61 studebaker lark-

61 studebaker lark- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oubyXIlJrJw

61 studebaker lark-

62 pontiac grand prix- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huSABUvutmA

63 chevy corvette--

63 chevy corvette/corvair- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7zmuY20ZM4

63 studebaker -

63 studebaker wagonaire-

64 ford mustang- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vDaJdkLOPk

67 mustang shelby gt-

68 mustang shelby gt- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpUDrd8L9Hg

MK

You're right about Gottlieb being a nice guy. He was one of the best. He didn't just have a "broadcaster" voice. He WAS a broadcaster who started out on Houston radio back in the 40s. That incredible voice of his made him a natural for radio, and he had the personality and looks to get into TV when Ch 2 went on the air sometime around 1950.

He did a gajillion commercials on KPRC TV and radio in the 50s and 60s, on-camera and voice-over, and hosted the March of Dimes Telethon for years. Remember the game show Darts For Dough? Gottlieb did that one too. "Do YOU want to play Darts for DOUGH???"

Local ad agencies hired him to voice their spots, so he was HEARD on other radio and TV stations around town, but he wasn't SEEN on other TV stations. KPRC GM Jack Harris said no way would he let his number one personality's face be seen anywhere but on Ch 2. That problem went away when Gottlieb left KPRC in the sixties to open his own ad agency and get his clients' commercials, with himself as talent, on every outlet in town.

That humonguous deep voice of his was one of the most familiar voices in town, and he was known as Dick "Thunder-Throat" in broadcasting circles. You had to hear it to believe it. Where I worked, we called him Dick Gottballs, off the air of course. He took it all in good humor and everybody enjoyed the joke.

He was elected to city council and served well for a couple of terms, but things went downhill when he ran for mayor against Fred Hofheinz in 1973. He lost by a tiny margin and spent the next two years fighting the outcome and recount results in court. The 2000 Bush/Gore election battle was nothing compared to the Gottlieb/Hofheinz election fight. They were still fighting two years later when Gottlieb ran against Hofheinz again, and lost.

Gottlieb went back to his ad agency, but he had lost a lot of his old good will because of his obstinate refusal to accept the election results gracefully. When he died though, all of Houston mourned.

35 chevy leader news vol1#1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFKIu1cApTk

35 chevy leader news vol1#2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SForIKLGHwk

35 chevy leader news vol1#3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yl-k0ocG98

36 chevy leader news vol2#1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGs1p_CcQQE

36 chevy leader news vol2#2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS796XHuF7c

54 chevy corvette-

55 nash-

55 chevy-pontiac/color http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTlGT7w5ud8

56 chevy- stunt cars-

57 ford retractable-

57 chevy-

58 plymouth-

58 plymouth--

59 chevy-

59 chevy bel air-

60 plymouth-

61 studebaker lark-

61 studebaker lark-

63 chevy- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj0-UR3ib88

63 chevy corvette--

63 studebaker -

63 studebaker wagonaire-

67 mustang shelby gt-

I found one of the hour long collections.. It's still there.. It dupes some of those above, but a few are different..

IE: has some Edsel commercials..

Classic car commercials http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFXEps2KMJg

I also added a few more car clips.. IE: 35 and 36 chevy leader news.

A few more random network ID's, some program clips to jog some memories.

40's NBC ID http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN0lyBIqLwE

50s Dumont ID http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr9n8RBmKPc&NR=1

Early 50's NBC ID http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNJQrSibNtM

50's NBC ID http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRlYBsx7cwI...ted&search=

50's NBC ID http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sMwScWa_hA

50's tv http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA-hlxxXM0Q...ted&search=

50-60's tv http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmBVkJf80eU

This one is a collection of RCA commercials. Almost like a mini history of TV sets and radios.

Well, from the RCA point of view anyway.. It's about an hour long also, but pretty good.

Lots of picture tube commercials are included. I still remember those days..

Replacing a picture tube was pretty common, and I even remember us having to change

one back in the early 60's in our old 50's Admiral. These days most TV's have become disposable..

In one set of color 1960 ad's, the sound seems to be damaged.. it's not your set..

But they are still pretty good. The sound comes back after those are over..

50's-60's RCA commercials http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g920JS_B_ug

BTW, I had to re edit this post.. I added another reply, and for some reason it

thrashed the whole deal.. Maybe this will bring back into order..

MK

You're right about Gottlieb being a nice guy. He was one of the best. He didn't just have a "broadcaster" voice. He WAS a broadcaster who started out on Houston radio back in the 40s. That incredible voice of his made him a natural for radio, and he had the personality and looks to get into TV when Ch 2 went on the air sometime around 1950.

I thought he probably was a radio broadcaster before TV.. You don't usually develop a radio voice like that by accident.

I think I knew one of his kids. Maybe a daughter, but I forgot.. But I think he lived sort of in this area, and I might

have gone to school with one , but not sure.. I knew one of them from somewhere..

MK

• 1 month later...
Your both correct. I was only about 5-6 years old so you can see why it's all so hazy except of course the being scared to death of the voice part.

We used to lay on the floor watching with a bed sheet covering is so when something frightening appeared we would just pull it over for protection. As if a bedsheet would shield you from an outer-space alien with a ray gun!lol :D

I cant wait to give my big bro an update of another Houston mystery solved! Grazie!

kids_watch_tv.jpg

I was never scared of the announcer's voice on "WEIRD". I used to laugh at it as a child. FYI: The voice belonged to the late Ted Bennett, who was Channel 13's weatherman/announcer (He did the announcing for "Dialing For Dollars") back in the early 60's.

He did a gajillion commercials on KPRC TV and radio in the 50s and 60s, on-camera and voice-over, and hosted the March of Dimes Telethon for years. Remember the game show Darts For Dough? Gottlieb did that one too. "Do YOU want to play Darts for DOUGH???"

Local ad agencies hired him to voice their spots, so he was HEARD on other radio and TV stations around town, but he wasn't SEEN on other TV stations. KPRC GM Jack Harris said no way would he let his number one personality's face be seen anywhere but on Ch 2. That problem went away when Gottlieb left KPRC in the sixties to open his own ad agency and get his clients' commercials, with himself as talent, on every outlet in town.

That humonguous deep voice of his was one of the most familiar voices in town, and he was known as Dick "Thunder-Throat" in broadcasting circles. You had to hear it to believe it. Where I worked, we called him Dick Gottballs, off the air of course. He took it all in good humor and everybody enjoyed the joke.

He was elected to city council and served well for a couple of terms, but things went downhill when he ran for mayor against Fred Hofheinz in 1973. He lost by a tiny margin and spent the next two years fighting the outcome and recount results in court. The 2000 Bush/Gore election battle was nothing compared to the Gottlieb/Hofheinz election fight. They were still fighting two years later when Gottlieb ran against Hofheinz again, and lost.

Gottlieb went back to his ad agency, but he had lost a lot of his old good will because of his obstinate refusal to accept the election results gracefully. When he died though, all of Houston mourned.

Any idea what happened to Mr. Gottlieb's contemporaries? Pat Brown also had a deep booming voice and I remember him announcing into the early 1980's on ch. 39. I remember Houston TV had a lot of "fixtures" for lack of a better term. Al Bell and Bob Smith over at 11, Chris Chandler over at 2 (I laughed when John Wayne slugged him in the movie "Hellfighters". What ever happened to them all?

So if you want UHF channels, you'll have to get one of those round antennas?

I looked on DTVanswers.com so that I could learn what to expect when digital takes over on 2/17/2009. At least the Federal Government will do something good for those who don't have cable/dish. People can get up to two $40 coupons to use towards the purchase of one or two of those digital converter boxes. I might have to use one or two of those coupons.

Dick Gottlieb was just as nice in person as he was on TV.Remember:Kitirik (I went on her show for my 8th birthday)Dr. Hudson's Secret JournalI led 3 livesHighway Patrol with Broderik Crawford"And now, The FBI...IN COLOR!" (I think "Living Color" was NBC's trademark)Andy Devine Show with Squeeky the mouse, Midnight the cat and "pluck your magic twanger, Froggy" all sponsored by Sugar PopsCadet DonMary Jane's Magic Castle
Was Harold Gunn as nice in person as on TV? Hey, anyone remember Captain Bob
You're right about Gottlieb being a nice guy. He was one of the best. He didn't just have a "broadcaster" voice. He WAS a broadcaster who started out on Houston radio back in the 40s. That incredible voice of his made him a natural for radio, and he had the personality and looks to get into TV when Ch 2 went on the air sometime around 1950. MK
Speaking of radio...anyone remember Barry Kay? If memory serves, he was on KRBE back in the 70's...

• 4 weeks later...

Come February 2009, if cable/dish costs are ridiculous, I'll probably not watch TV period! I'll just use my TVs to watch rented movies. With the exception of football season, regular network TV is garbage. And those cable channels have far too many commercials, despite the fact that we all have to pay anyway.

• 2 months later...

35 chevy leader news vol1#1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFKIu1cApTk

35 chevy leader news vol1#2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SForIKLGHwk

35 chevy leader news vol1#3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yl-k0ocG98

36 chevy leader news vol2#1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGs1p_CcQQE

36 chevy leader news vol2#2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS796XHuF7c

54 chevy corvette-

55 nash-

55 chevy-pontiac/color http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTlGT7w5ud8

56 chevy- stunt cars-

57 ford retractable-

57 chevy-

58 plymouth-

58 plymouth--

59 chevy-

59 chevy bel air-

60 plymouth-

61 studebaker lark-

61 studebaker lark-

63 chevy- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj0-UR3ib88

63 chevy corvette--

63 studebaker -

63 studebaker wagonaire-

67 mustang shelby gt-

I found one of the hour long collections.. It's still there.. It dupes some of those above, but a few are different..

IE: has some Edsel commercials..

Classic car commercials http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFXEps2KMJg

I also added a few more car clips.. IE: 35 and 36 chevy leader news.

A few more random network ID's, some program clips to jog some memories.

40's NBC ID http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN0lyBIqLwE

50s Dumont ID http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr9n8RBmKPc&NR=1

Early 50's NBC ID http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNJQrSibNtM

50's NBC ID http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRlYBsx7cwI...ted&search=

50's NBC ID http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sMwScWa_hA

50's tv http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA-hlxxXM0Q...ted&search=

50-60's tv http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmBVkJf80eU

This one is a collection of RCA commercials. Almost like a mini history of TV sets and radios.

Well, from the RCA point of view anyway.. It's about an hour long also, but pretty good.

Lots of picture tube commercials are included. I still remember those days..

Replacing a picture tube was pretty common, and I even remember us having to change

one back in the early 60's in our old 50's Admiral. These days most TV's have become disposable..

In one set of color 1960 ad's, the sound seems to be damaged.. it's not your set..

But they are still pretty good. The sound comes back after those are over..

50's-60's RCA commercials http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g920JS_B_ug

BTW, I had to re edit this post.. I added another reply, and for some reason it

thrashed the whole deal.. Maybe this will bring back into order..

MK

Earlier today I was in Wal-Mart looking at TVs. I looked at two flatscreens, both 15". One was a Sony and the other one was a Polaroid. Both said that they were HDTV. Is that what will fulfill the requirements for the digital transition that will occur a year from now? Should I buy one now, or would I be wasting my money?

NB you might remember this. Around the mid 1960's if you stayed up late like after the 10 o'clock news they always had The Late Show - (movies). Not TV shows. I still wonder what station and when it ended. Guess it seemed dated by the late 60's.

In the 50s, when Channel 11 was still in Galveston, and using the call letters KGUL, it also had a Late Show that started every night around 10:30. It started with some nice film of a seagull flying around over the Galveston surf, with an orchestra playing Claire de Lune, and then it cut to the host: a real zany named Jim Ross.

I don't know if I can describe Jim Ross in a way that today's generation would understand.

He was genuinely zany and very funny. Oftimes his commercial breaks were better than the movie he was showing. People would stay up late just to see him. I know I did. And it was all done live. Video tape hadn't been invented yet.

Archived