South Texas Intermediate Sanction Facility At 1511 Preston St.

Nate99

Right across Crawford from the ballpark, there's a nondescript three story old white building that I never gave too much thought, but with the cataloguing of old buildings around here lately, I thought I'd look it up.  It is apparently a prison, near as I an tell a private/contract place.

Maybe it is a unit that requires some logistically convenient location to get to the courts, but this and the Federal pen on Texas Ave seem to be holding down some pretty valuable real estate.

Anyone ever heard anything else about the place?

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7582722,-95.3562352,3a,75y,350.2h,78.86t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfHyg9TIT4jobWKTn3TEXgg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

I have noticed it before. There is a big sign on the wall. It's probably not a prison as there are no bars, etc. it is most likely a halfway house of some kind.

I walked by it yesterday, access is heavily, but discretely, very restricted.  

This is the only link I have found:

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/unit_directory/xm.html

ISF's are evidently a treatment based short-term (but full-time) place for parole/probation violators.

https://www.versustexas.com/criminal/isf/

I've always wondered about this place but figured it was vacant. I can only imagine that many of these empty lots and smaller buildings will be redeveloped over the next decade with all of the new apartments, hotels, ect going up nearby.

• 11 months later...

Driving by this place recently, there is a big construction waste type dumpster in the parking lot.  Would be a great step for the area if this were turned into something that people visited willingly.  

EDIT: Found these from August, there were at least plans to close it, but can't find if they actually followed through.

http://www.chron.com/news/politics/texas/article/TDCJ-moves-to-close-downtown-Houston-lockup-9148332.php

http://www.ktxs.com/news/texas-department-of-criminal-justice-to-request-budget-cut-exemptions/50768230

"This would free up a site for commercial development that would be more compatible with restaurants and residential development and ballpark that are now its close neighbors," Whitmire said. "The new site is across from the Harris County Jail, a much better location."

The Department of Criminal Justice says those cuts would come in large part from shutting down the 450-bed South Texas Intermediate Sanction Facility in Houston

You have to wonder how the whole downtown block market price dynamic works with the state/county owned property.  Probably corruptly.

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

Demolition permit has been issued.

If this was in any other place I would say this should be tried to be restored or remodeled, but with its proximity to the ballpark, and its rough shape it makes sense to Demo it.

Do we know if this is for the entire block or just this particular building on the block. Is this more residential?

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

If this was in any other place I would say this should be tried to be restored or remodeled, but with its proximity to the ballpark, and its rough shape it makes sense to Demo it.

Do we know if this is for the entire block or just this particular building on the block. Is this more residential?

It's the only structure on the block, but the rest of the block looks further divided. It would be interesting to know if there are still separate parcels/owners, or if the divisions are just remnants of old foundations hastily paved over.  The cost of the demolition would take a long time to recoup through parking revenue, I would think, unless there is some other compelling reason to get rid of the structure and parking lot-itize it like Hines briefly did with the Chronicle building block prior to the tower construction.  Apart from 81 five hour chunks of time per year,  that area isn't short of parking options, which makes me hopeful that someone has a plan here, but I know nothing. 

To my untrained eye, the building looks to have been designed explicitly to be immemorable; I thought it was someone's storage warehouse for years, turns out it stored officially unsavory people for the State of Texas.  Restoring it to anything interesting would not be faithful history unless it were heavily modified from something else to get to its current state, not that anyone seems to remember or care [edit - see below].  The covered sidewalk on the Preston side is nice for function (and I wish more of downtown had them), but form is pretty basic.

This block has 4 adjacent blocks that are surface lots, 2 are part of the MMP grounds and one the back end of 500 Crawford apartments.  Other nearby neighbors include the DeGeorge hotel (a homeless veteran outreach type facility if I remember correctly) The Salvation Army, and a bail bonds place.  

3 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

I believe so. A Cherry represenative said the space will probably used for parking.  He only took a guess though. This would indicate the whole thing is coming down.

I could support a parking garage with ground floor retail and top floor bar and/or restaurant.

32 minutes ago, swtsig said:

is this simply being demo'd and prepped for sale or has this site been acquired and is being prepped for development? I wouldn't be surprised if this was/is one of the lots Crane and the Astros et al have acquired.

That is a logical theory.  Nothing showing up in the county records so far...

3 hours ago, swtsig said:

is this simply being demo'd and prepped for sale or has this site been acquired and is being prepped for development? I wouldn't be surprised if this was/is one of the lots Crane and the Astros et al have acquired.

This being one of Cranes lot was my hope. 

Archived