CrockpotandGravel

420 Main (Byrds Lofts)

74 posts in this topic

Previously posted in the Downtown Restaurant and Bar Scene Rebirth thread but deserves its own thread. This way we can all keep up with updates on places that are in on place.

The Bryd Building at 420 Main and Prairie houses the Byrds Lofts with ground retail space.

AiivREA.jpg

byrds_001.jpg

0oupCrX.jpg

At first I was baffled by the two tone paint job till I remembered that it a split bar concept..

On another note anyone know what going on with the old G market space, have seen people coming and going from it over the last few weeks

Updates on the map I put together.

22558451552_a23dc7b049_b.jpg

Morningside Thai is now open, but only for lunch.  They have a cafeteria model, but no interior signage yet indicating what comes with a meal, how much it costs, etc.  I imagine they will work out the kinks soon.

For Lease signs have gone back up in the two club spaces on the 100 block of Main, as well as the Sweeny Building at 301 Main.  Big new rumor from an insider - Benjy's apparently picked up the space where Mia Bella formerly resided.  That would be cool.

Heard they are putting in a Lupe Tortilla on the corner of Main & Prairie...across the street from the old El Tiempo.  Can anyone confirm?

Nice to see some restaurants coming back to Main st.

Byrds Lofts

bvcgEb7.jpg

attachicon.gifByrds Lofts.jpg

This is the permit for the window replacement work they did on the windows of the lofts themselves.  They are using the Georgie's market space as their storage/construction office.

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
1 person likes this

Looks like ADR may have been on to something: a Benjy's related place is opening downtown, a Local Foods on the ground floor of the Byrd's Lofts at 420 Main St.

Updates on the map I put together.

22558451552_a23dc7b049_b.jpg

Morningside Thai is now open, but only for lunch.  They have a cafeteria model, but no interior signage yet indicating what comes with a meal, how much it costs, etc.  I imagine they will work out the kinks soon.

For Lease signs have gone back up in the two club spaces on the 100 block of Main, as well as the Sweeny Building at 301 Main.  Big new rumor from an insider - Benjy's apparently picked up the space where Mia Bella formerly resided.  That would be cool.

From Houston Chronicle:

Local Foods to expand to Downtown Houston

Restaurateur Benjy Levit's immediate focus is his new Local Foods set to open May 1 in Tanglewood, which will bring that brand to three Houston stores including Rice Village and River Oaks.

But don't think for a minute that Levit hasn't thought beyond that. He has, and it's all about Downtown.

Levit has purchased the former Georgia's Market at 420 Main at Prairie with plans to make it another Local Foods. The footprint of Georgia's, which closed in October 2014, includes the main floor, a mezzanine and a basement kitchen and bar. Levit's goal is to have his fourth Local Foods up and running by October.

"It's a building I've always loved architecturally," he said of the Byrds Lofts building (the former Byrd's Department Store), a mixed use development that includes retail and loft condominiums. "I love the scale of the building. It's Art Deco. It's got history behind it."

And potential for a lot of Local Foods customers ahead of it. Levit, whose concepts also include the original Benjy's in Rice Village and a second Benjy's on Upper Washington, said the Downtown building boom and the promise of Super Bowl crowds come 2017 had a lot to do with his decision to purchase the space.

"There's no question. The building abuts the new Hines project. And it's a block from their new office building and two blocks from Market Square," he said. "I would have liked to have been one of the pioneers Downtown. Certainly other people have paved the way and I'm thankful for that. I believe in Downtown. Beyond the Super Bowl I believe in it as a place to work and live and have fun."

Levit said he likes to customize each Local Foods to its neighborhood. For instance, the new Tanglewood location will feature an expanded, upgraded wine list as well as pizza and other roasted items from a wood-burning pizza oven.

The Downtown Local Foods will feature a central seafood bar with about 25 seats, offering local raw bar and seafood items as well as beer and wine. The basement with its large catering kitchen will service downtown with broad catering capabilities; the subterranean bar will be used as private event space.

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
4 people like this

This is great news. Now he needs to put in a grocery store in the village next to Benjy's.

Greeeeat, maybe we'll see another 500 pounds of brown slime ice condemned by health inspectors. I'm never going to eat at that filthy place.

First of all you'd be amazed at how many top notch restaurants have had problems with the health department and second I've never had a bad meal there so suit yourself. You can go anywhere you like but I bet its had problems also at some time.

2 people like this

Greeeeat, maybe we'll see another 500 pounds of brown slime ice condemned by health inspectors. I'm never going to eat at that filthy place.

If that's enough for you to stop patronizing a dining establishment you may want to avoid all restaurants altogether. Perhaps invest in a Howard Hughes-esque self-containment bubble while you're at it.

2 people like this

If that's enough for you to stop patronizing a dining establishment you may want to avoid all restaurants altogether. 

I never patronized a place that sells an egg salad sandwich for $9.50, so a terrible health inspection report is just icing on the cake.

I never patronized a place that sells an egg salad sandwich for $9.50, so a terrible health inspection report is just icing on the cake.

It's "truffled", you know.

1 person likes this

Kind of a push till October but glad a well known establishment is taking over. This compares to the move Christians made downtown, which has become a very popular spot. 

I agree about the health reports - searching the database can be frightening, but to me it all depends on the remediation and if there are repeated offenses...

And here's the full page this picture is from - http://arch-ive.org/archive/byrds/- and thanks, a reminder I need to get an updated picture! Georgia's was from a while back!

byrds_001.jpg

I went to Georgia Market once for dinner and a beer before an event. That place had potential, but I assume they didn't have enough foot traffic. I wonder if they would have tried after all these residential components were established if they would have made it.

Local Foods is a name brand now, i'm sure it will succeed. Hopefully they will stay open late in to the evening. And yes, I will pay $10 for a filling, relatively healthy, high quality sandwich and two sides every once and a while.

1 person likes this

I went to Georgia Market once for dinner and a beer before an event. That place had potential, but I assume they didn't have enough foot traffic. I wonder if they would have tried after all these residential components were established if they would have made it.

Local Foods is a name brand now, i'm sure it will succeed. Hopefully they will stay open late in to the evening. And yes, I will pay $10 for a filling, relatively healthy, high quality sandwich and two sides every once and a while.

I live in the Greater Heights & work in the Medical Center area.  Mornings, I take a bus & transfer to light rail.  In the afternoon I'm not so hurried & there are several bus/bus options--but I'll often use the train & then the bus.  So I'm glad to spend some money Downtown--if there is anywhere to spend it! (There are several lovely bars--but not every evening.) 

Georgia Market was useful for picking up odds & ends of groceries--or maybe a snack.  One evening I was looking for coffee beans.  Nothing fancy--but the only offerings were flavored and/or decaf.  Tried to explain that plain beans would sell, but the spacette on duty was unresponsive.  Yes, the place was doomed.  

Downtown dwellers & commuters will go elsewhere for serious grocery shopping.  But I do hope the new owners can make this work....

Georgia's was a mess. At the bar downstairs they were trying to charge $7 for normal production beers from St Arnold's that should go for $4.

Skwatra - I'm glad I now know what you will pay for a filling nurishing sammy. This is great for this area of DT

The old Georgia's Market / new Local Foods spot in the Byrds Lofts at 420 Main Street has been gutted. They even took down the stairs. 

Edited by andre154
4 people like this

17 hours ago, Elseed said:

Any update on this?

Do you mean updates on Local Foods on the ground floor of Byrd's Lofts? If so, here you go from Houston Chronicle last month:

Local Foods Downtown: Restaurateur Benjy Levit is readying the former Georgia's Market in downtown as the next version of his Local Foods concept. Expected to open in December.

http://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Houston-s-newest-restaurant-openings-10608963.php

I haven't seen progress inside because the windows are covered. When I go downtown for my next meeting this week, I'll check again.

1 person likes this