Demolished: 509 & 517 Louisiana St.

Urbannizer

Sorry to bring up an old wound, but the Lancaster hotel is obviously going through renovations per the article below, but didn't realized it was sold to new owners a month before Harvey. So the previous family who owned the hotel tore these old buildings down and then sold it. Now I'm mad all over again...

"When the storied Lancaster Hotel reopens in August, it will be with a new look and a new image as perhaps the city's most artful hotel.

Purchased last year by the Shinn family -- they own Magnolia Lodging, a handful of hotels in the Dallas area  -- the Lancaster was already facing a renovation to update its exterior with a coat of taupe paint and deep navy blue awnings and an interior redesign to return it to its Regency-style beginnings. (Magnolia Lodging is not related to the Magnolia Hotel or Magnolia Ballroom.)

New owners purchased the hotel a month before Hurricane Harvey

Until the Shinn family bought it, the Lancaster had always been operated by DeGeorge's descendants. That family closed their Auditorium Hotel in 1981 for a big update and it reopened in 1983 as the Lancaster."

https://www.chron.com/life/style/home-design/article/Lancaster-Hotel-renovations-return-historic-site-12866800.php?ipid=hpctp#photo-15445049

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read their history and viewed there portfolio of Inns. To be honest I didn't see much historic preservation practice. 

It sounds like they run a tight ship but not to excited about the properties. Very excited to see the art collection.

11 hours ago, Avossos said:

I hate this thread I get so angry

Life is a lot easier when you don't worry about things you can't control, and other people doing something to their own property is one of those things.

32 minutes ago, Ross said:

Life is a lot easier when you don't worry about things you can't control, and other people doing something to their own property is one of those things.

Somebody should buy the pyramids and tear them down then sell the property.  

18 hours ago, Nole23 said:

Sorry to bring up an old wound, but the Lancaster hotel is obviously going through renovations per the article below, but didn't realized it was sold to new owners a month before Harvey. So the previous family who owned the hotel tore these old buildings down and then sold it. Now I'm mad all over again...

It is now apparent that the buildings were torn down in order to enhance the hotel for a potential sale, by showing that it owned its own parking. 

The upside of it having sold is that now I can add the Lancaster back to my options for downtown lodging.

As to the previous owners, I hold them no ill will. It is all in the past. I wish them the best wherever they end up, in this life or the next, and I would send them a fan if I could.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Anyone have better permit-fu skills to see what's going on here? Best I could see was "Site work for parking lot 2012 IBC" (applied for in February), but it appears that the lot is closed, the kiosk was ripped out, and some drainage whatnot showed up (culverts and corrugated big diameter plastic pipe.) If it were to remain parking, I can't figure how/why it would need additional drainage, but perhaps around the perimeter. 

1OZvQNd.jpg

• The title was changed to 509 & 517 Louisiana To Be Demolished
  • The title was changed to Demolished: 509 & 517 Louisiana St.

Archived