R.I.P. KCOH Radio (1953-2015)

Purpledevil

The lights have apparently been shut off in the looking glass studio on Almeda. I've got Regional Mexican "La Ranchera" on 1230 as of a couple hours ago.

The Legend has truly passed. After 62 years, proudly carrying the torch as the radio voice of Black Houstonians, at 1430 and for the last 3 years on 1230, KCOH is now gone without any warning. Such is life in the radio world. Nothing on any news outlets as of yet. This just occurred in the last few hours.

From the website:

EXCITING UPGRADES ARE TAKING PLACE AT THE HISTORIC KCOH!  

KCOH Radio is boosting its radio signal and areas of radio coverage!  You will LOVE what we are doing!  

Sorry for the present inconvenience, but we hope to have the improvements in place by the first of the year!

For now,  you can still enjoy your favorite radio station at KCOHRADIO.COM

"KCOH: Radio you can See and Soon Hear Better!"

Thank you to all of our listeners, and we apologize for the frequency issues at this time that are occurring with KCOH 1230 AM. We assure you that KCOH will return back to your radios as soon as possible. Until we return you can enjoy all of our  programming through KCOH TV, and also our free KCOH Radio mobile app. We will keep you up to date on our social media. Follow us on face book at KCOH Radio, twitter @KCOH1230Radio, and instagram @kcohradio1230 to stay updated with the station. Thank you for your continued support. 

There are similar statements on their Facebook page (the Twitter ID doesn't appear to exist). It looks like they've shifted their regular programming to online streaming while the "frequency issues", whatever they may be, are addressed. Right now they're streaming a sports talk show about SWAC football. 

surprised the chronicle has not picked up on this.....their staff has blown up as the old crew has left for 880 AM under the last guy who nearly lost the station in Jessie Dunn....Cooper is left but its a whole new crew over there...I've heard things that the failed mayoral bid was tied to the station and it would implode if unsuccessful

its sad what the station has turned into as they've lost any traction with the young blacks and people who drink at the bar across the street barely knows what the station is

"frequency issues...ok..."

surprised the chronicle has not picked up on this.....their staff has blown up as the old crew has left for 880 AM under the last guy who nearly lost the station in Jessie Dunn....Cooper is left but its a whole new crew over there...I've heard things that the failed mayoral bid was tied to the station and it would implode if unsuccessful

its sad what the station has turned into as they've lost any traction with the young blacks and people who drink at the bar across the street barely knows what the station is

"frequency issues...ok..."

Wasn't the 2-time Mayoral loser Ben Hall supposed to be owning KCOH Radio ?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, we'll see. It'll be a miracle if it does return to the air.

Meanwhile, 880 KJOZ has Michael Harris, Don Sam, and pretty much every ex-KCOH staffer except Ralph Cooper over there. I'm a bit surprised the KCOH call hasn't just simply moved there. It's the exact same format, minus the call letters.

Not that Hall is lying...

...but he is. That facility belongs in whole to Lenard Liberman's LBI Media. As others have duly noted, he picked up the terms of the lease Jesse Dunn signed with LBI, when Dunn left KCOH and moved his efforts to KJOZ. The popular belief in the radio community is that Hall defaulted as a result of being significantly behind in airtime payments to Liberman. I have been unable to verify that firmly, but has been echoed by several individuals with a closer eye on the developments.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to tell you but KCOH-TV is alive and well. 

KCOH TV/RADIO - A Better Broadcasting Company
5011 Almeda Rd

Houston, TX 77004
Main Office: (713) 803-2987 
Fax: (713) 434-6565
REQUEST & CONTEST LINE: (713) 526-1230
optionsSigImg.php?show=0&t=1457113467

www.KCOHRadio.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kcohtv
Twitter: https://twitter.com/kcohtv
Tune In App: KCOH 
Live Stream: KCOH TV 
Radio: 92.9 FM HD2 Radio
ADVERTISE WITH US.......................................  

KCOH TV LOGO.png

WEEKDAY STAFF.jpg

7361_10208825836826615_5819148764089742034_n.jpg

5011 Almeda Rd. Houston, Texas 77004.jpg

Welcome to the HAIF, KCOHTV! 

:lol: The program coming out of the looking glass studios is alive, I'll certainly give you that. As for how well it's performing, we'll just have to wait and see.

Let me first state that KCOH, the actual licensed radio facility itself, is a Regional Mexican formatted simulcast partner station of 850 KEYH here in Houston, owned by Lenard Liberman's LBI media, at least for the present. It will presumably soon be owned by an entity named Pueblo de Galileo, LLC. once 1230's sale is approved by the Commission and consummated by the two parties involved in the transaction. Since you have gotten a plug out of the HAIF, would you in turn be willing to share with us how it is that the company is still able to utilize the heritage KCOH callset in its branding, as well as the website kcohradio.com in association with what Beyond Broadcasting is currently programming on KKBQ HD2, given that the actual KCOH radio facility at 1230kHz is no longer associated and/or involved with Beyond Broadcasting?

I'd certainly be interested in the backstory of what has transpired over the last 6 months, resulting in the loss of the heritage and legendary KCOH radio from the analog airwaves in Houston, Texas, as well as what we as listeners can expect from "KCOH" over the next few months, given that we Houstonians have recently lost the company's Urban Oldies & Talk programming on one OTA AM facility, and Jesse Dunn's on another, all within less than a year's time. It doesn't look promising for the continuation of the format at all, from this viewpoint. As a longtime and avid listener of 1430, then 1230 KCOH after the 2013 move, and then finally 880 KJOZ when both versions of KCOH were gone from the air, it would certainly set my mind at ease knowing for sure and certain that this subchannel lease from Cox Radio isn't just an effort in futility, and a last gasp of air, so to speak. I'd surely make the trip to Best Buy for an HD receiver, solely for this programming, with the assurance that KKBQ HD2, as it currently stands with Beyond Broadcasting's programming airing on it, will be around for the long haul.

Secondly, given that HD subchannels are afforded the opportunity to transmit originated programming on to a relay over the air translator, are there any current efforts being made by Beyond Broadcasting to secure, by lease or by purchase, one of these retransmission facilities to bring the programming back to the airwaves without requiring an additional purchase of HD compatible equipment by the consumer?

I eagerly await your second post. You'll have to excuse my pessimism, but when a company represents the off air situation several months ago as "frequency issues" as if there was a problem with the 1230 facility itself, it terribly concerns me as to what else may have a bit of a stench to it.

It's understandable on how you should feel this way.  If you would like to get a clear percise answer feel free to stop by our office or contact the current C.O.O. for complete clarification.  

Thanks 

Tune in daily from your computer, app or radio dial of 92.9 FM HD2 Radio. 

• 10 months later...
20 hours ago, LTAWACS said:

Last interesting genre thing I've heard on radio was GangstaZydeco on some other station a while back.

Now that's some different music! Thanks for mentioning it.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2015 at 8:05 PM, Purpledevil said:

The lights have apparently been shut off in the looking glass studio on Almeda. I've got Regional Mexican "La Ranchera" on 1230 as of a couple hours ago.

The Legend has truly passed. After 62 years, proudly carrying the torch as the radio voice of Black Houstonians, at 1430 and for the last 3 years on 1230, KCOH is now gone without any warning. Such is life in the radio world. Nothing on any news outlets as of yet. This just occurred in the last few hours.

RIP KCOH Radio!

Archived