• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They gave out some interesting shovel shaped cast metal envelope openers with a red bow wrapped around the head.

Nice giveaways. 

Corbs315 you were on the other end of the shovels, from the angle of your pictures. I had a cougar hat on.

• 2 weeks later...

They brought a trailer and generator on the site and they have started clearing the property. It appears that there were concrete curbed roads back through the tract. Obviously there were several homes on this site at one time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2019 at 9:28 AM, bobruss said:

They brought a trailer and generator on the site and they have started clearing the property. It appears that there were concrete curbed roads back through the tract. Obviously there were several homes on this site at one time.

There were apartments there until the 1980s.

They're doing some serious earthmoving over on the eastern side along the side street. Must be a retention pond thats at least 30 feet deep.

It runs almost the full length of the backside. It looks like it will have some interesting landscaping and contouring to provide for run off from the 

parking lot. I'll be interested to see how they carry out this part of the landscaping. A lot of potential and hopefully they'll remember to plant more Trees. They know what a huge difference a parking lot with large oaks can be, compared to an ugly concrete lot.

59 minutes ago, bobruss said:

They're doing some serious earthmoving over on the eastern side along the side street. Must be a retention pond thats at least 30 feet deep.

It runs almost the full length of the backside. It looks like it will have some interesting landscaping and contouring to provide for run off from the 

parking lot. I'll be interested to see how they carry out this part of the landscaping. A lot of potential and hopefully they'll remember to plant more Trees. They know what a huge difference a parking lot with large oaks can be, compared to an ugly concrete lot.

I have a house nearby so would hope so as well but I heavily doubt it because they haven't done it at at other new location I've seen built lately. The oaks at the Montrose store were already there from the torn down apartment complex.  

19 hours ago, iah77 said:

I have a house nearby so would hope so as well but I heavily doubt it because they haven't done it at at other new location I've seen built lately. The oaks at the Montrose store were already there from the torn down apartment complex.  

I lived in the Menil neighborhood and understand the history and fights over those trees on Dunlavy.  I would imagine the neighbors on that back street are not happy about losing that wooded cover from 288. They now will be looking at a lit parking lot and HEB. I just hope they decide to landscape and add trees. I know I will be sending them emails about landscaping and remind them how beautiful a parking lot can be. It never hurts to recommend these things and it only takes a few to get them thinking in the right direction.

• 4 weeks later...

Either Hindesky, or ekdrm2d1 need to come over to the site and get some images of the earth work that is going on, on the back side of the property.

They have dug an amazing retention area that must be the size of a football field 20 or so feet deep and then along the length of the property they are installing a retention wall and canal for drainage. From the back side where the very nice two story brick homes face you can get a better view of how much this property has been built up. Hopefully for these homeowners its deep enough.

It's quite remarkable and deserves some photos. 

I noticed as I drove by the 288 feeder side of the property at lunch the cinder blocks are going up on the eastern end of the building.

They are moving right along.

Also the very large football sized 25 foot deep retention pond now has a very large maybe 48" drain from the property to the hole.

I haven't figured out what the rebar columns on the back side are for yet. Your picture above shows them. For those who haven't seen the site, just to the north of those columns is the retention pond.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen designs for this? I wonder if it will be a 2 story due to being so close to Braes Bayou? Did it flood here during Harvey?

eVMCdDu.jpg

Huge moat and retention pond on the northern side and northeast side.

C7DDlft.jpg

Here is a link to a map of third ward. On it you will see clearly the Museum district designation on the map over the property. You will also notice the southern boundary 

approximately 5 blocks north of Southmore so this is technically not the 3rd ward and is actually closer to the museum district.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=map+of+3rd+ward+houston&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Here is the historical map of the six wards and it shows roughly the same geographical boundaries with the southern boundary being about north of Southmore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Ward,_Houston#/media/File:HoustonWards1920.jpg

So technically this is not in the 3rd ward.

39 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

Could pour over maps like that for hours.  Thanks, Bobruss. 

I'm the same way. I find them fascinating especially older ones.

Theres a great shop called the Antiquarium located in the shopping center at Kirby and West Alabama.

A friend of mine gave me the full size map of the wards from 1920,  and it must be 60" square. 

If you haven't been you need to go by and check out their collection.

I bike by there alot and I agree, this only sorta serves 3rd ward, and its going to moreso serve TMC and Museum District. I've heard from various development people that this was the closest HEB would come to putting it near 3rd ward, but the city was happy cause it had recognized that this was sort of a food desert (shoutout to that Fiesta).

I agree that a large parking lot would do this no service. Its almost like they don't know the area. The people on MacGregor already walk alot and you see quite a bit of foot traffic to the local corner store down the street. The easiest way to get to this (if you live within 2 miles or so of the HEB) is in my opinion by bike. The bayou trails literally drop you at the back entrance, lol, which would mean people from UH, Macgregor, Museum District, TMC, and Hermann Park area have a direct foot/bike path to the HEB. I dont think this will be a "will it do well" type thing, it'll be "will they be able to handle the massive inflow of people" and can they adapt to having so much foot traffic entering and leaving the property all the time. 

Honestly think its going to be quite bananas.

maybe the parking lot is for: “"We're working with METRO to make sure bus routes can get here. And as for the employees, we are so excited that the ones who want to come through the interview process will be able to do that the jobs are there," Boykins said.”

Currently under construction.

Anyone have information or renderings of this.

Are they building an upgraded prootype or their basic one?

I haven't see anything and I'm thinking it could go either way since it is bordered by MidTown, Museum District & the Third Ward but I hope they realize the location potential and build a nicer one.

Archived