Mab

HEB- 288 and N. MacGregor Drive

IronTiger    722
On 9/19/2016 at 2:49 PM, JLWM8609 said:

There were apartments there.

Looks like through old directories, they were the Bayou DeVille Apartments, and the Houston Town & Country Apartments were on the other side of the bayou (I know I've wondered about them before). That or I've got the two mixed up.

Urbannizer    30799

http://houston.novusagenda.com/agendapublic/CoverSheet.aspx?ItemID=10253&MeetingID=213

The Housing and Community Development Department recommends approval of an ordinance authorizing a Purchase and Sale Agreement between the City (Purchaser) and Houston Community College (HCC) (Seller) for the purchase of 9.177 acres land located on the northeast corner of Highway 288 and North MacGregor Way (Property) to be used for the development of a grocery store in a low-to-moderate income service area. The purchase of the Property is subject to approval from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to use loan funds provided under Section 108 of the Housing and  Community Development Act of 1974 (Section 108) and Economic Development Initiative Grant (EDI) Funds to fund the acquisition. These Section 108 and EDI Funds may be used for an Area Benefit Activity such as providing a quality grocery store to a low-to-moderate income neighborhood. The purchase of the Property is also subject to environmental clearance, receipt of the Authority to Use Grant Funds (AUGF) from HUD, and any other necessary environmental approvals.

The purchase price is $13,850,000, plus an additional closing cost of $12,000.  Furthermore, $11,000,000 to be paid to HCC at closing and $2,850,000 to be escrowed and paid to HCC no later than 18 months after the closing date. The EDI funds will not be contributed as grant funds. Instead, the City expects both the Section 108 and the EDI funds to be fully repaid.

In the coming months, the City Council will be asked to approve a lease and development agreement for the Property with Houston Housing Finance Corporation (HHFC), which will become effective when the City closes on the acquisition of the Property from HCC and will contain an option for HHFC to purchase the Property.  HHFC will in turn enter into a sublease with HEB for the design and construction of a 72,000 square-foot grocery store on the Property at an estimated development cost of $20 million, which will be funded by HEB and its investors. The grocery store will create approximately 250 jobs for the community.  The purchase option may be exercised by HHFC approximately 12 months after the City acquires the Property from HCC, at which time the sublease between HHFC and HEB will become a long-term lease.

Upon the receipt of the Certificate of Occupancy, at which point the development will achieve the HUD national objective (Area Benefit Activity) for use of the funds, HHFC may sell the Property, provided the City will receive at closing the remaining balance on the full amount of $13,862,000.00 invested from the Section 108 and EDI Funds.

• Like 2

corbs315    246
Posted (edited)

Well I missed that post above! 

I wrote Boykins's office last week asking for an update since I thought this development was imperative after the demolition of the Kroger on OST. No response of course. But there is another article about this out yesterday:

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/2017/03/08/191023/city-of-houston-will-purchase-13-8-million-property-for-h-e-b-to-build-a-grocery-store/

Edited by corbs315
  • Like 2

JLWM8609    471

I'm glad about this. It'll be less than a mile from me. I wonder what they'll do with the HEB on Scott and OST. I doubt they'll keep it as is since two HEBs would be so close to each other. Maybe they'll turn it into a Joe V.'s? 

JLWM8609    471

Newest update from Councilman Boykins regarding the HEB. 

• Like 1

Here's a map showing the proposed H-E-B off 288 that's in Third Ward and not in the Medical Center. Everything on the other side of 288 where Texas Southern and DeBaky Health Professions High School are located is Greater Third Ward, not the Medical Center.

BCeqKEl.jpg

• Like 2

JLWM8609    471
11 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Here's a map showing the proposed H-E-B off 288 that's in Third Ward and not in the Medical Center. Everything on the other side of 288 where Texas Southern and DeBaky Health Professions High School are located is Greater Third Ward, not the Medical Center.

BCeqKEl.jpg

Speaking as a lifetime resident of the neighborhood, you can argue that it's Greater Third Ward and part of Medical Center Area at the same time, albeit the extreme eastern fringe of the Medical Center Area. TMC properties exist on the east side of 288 at S. MacGregor and W. Leland Anderson. FYI: DeBakey has moved to the heart of the Medical Center. It's now on the site where the Shamrock Hotel used to be near Holcombe and Main. The old DeBakey is now the temporary home of Braeburn Elementary. 

5 minutes ago, JLWM8609 said:

Speaking as a lifetime resident of the neighborhood, you can argue that it's Greater Third Ward and part of Medical Center Area at the same time, albeit the extreme eastern fringe of the Medical Center Area. TMC properties exist on the east side of 288 at S. MacGregor and W. Leland Anderson.

Yes, I know the history of how the construction of freeways divided neighborhoods of mostly African Americans intentionally in the US, Houston included. So parts of Texas Medical Center and parts of what's considered the Museum District are part of Third Ward still, as those parts were Third Ward before the freeway constructions.

But in the case of the proposed HEB, this is located in Third Ward on the side of 288 where  New Hope MBC is located down from it. That area is in no way considered Texas Medical Center. It's Third Ward (source: plenty of co-workers and friends who live in the neighborhoods on North and South MacGregor, who for most, their homes have been in their families for at least two generations).

htownbro    86
On 12/16/2015 at 0:17 PM, Triton said:

Damn. We need one somewhere near Studemont and I-10.  :unsure:

Edit: Man, this is super close to the one at OST.

The one on OST and Scott is a smaller HEB and serves that community.  This new one will give them more options as I'm sure it'll be a more upscale store.

JLWM8609    471
11 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

But in the case of the proposed HEB, this is located in Third Ward on the side of 288 where  New Hope MBC is located down from it. That area is in no way considered Texas Medical Center. It's Third Ward (source: plenty of co-workers and friends who live in the neighborhoods on North and South MacGregor, who for most, their homes have been in their families for at least two generations).

If you're using east of 288 and Good Hope as your demarcation lines, the proposed HEB is closer to the east side of 288 than it is to Good Hope. Furthermore, the HEB is also closer to the Harris County Psychiatric Center just across the bayou than it is to Good Hope. I still say that it's both Third Ward and the Medical Center area. Don't forget there's also a TMC themed directional sign at 288 and N. MacGregor, right in front of the proposed HEB: https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7132392,-95.3769739,3a,15.1y,310.19h,88.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s14sdN7lVbGWaPkc7s5w-Rw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1

Yes, the proposed HEB will be on the corner of N Macgregor and 288, but it's a few blocks from Good Hope Missionary Baptist Church, making it Third Ward. Texas Medical Center is considered across the freeway where South Macgregor is. I've never heard anyone, especially those who have been lifetime residents of the neighborhood where the HEB will be built, refer or think of that area as part of the Texas Medical Center area, because it's not. It's Third Ward. Good Hope Missionary Baptist Church and Houston Chronicle has acknowledged that part as Third Ward not Texas Medical Center. Boykins has too.

I may be white, but I try to be diligent in educating myself in Houston's history with minorities and other cultures in general. I try by reading or by way of friends and co-workers who can enlighten me on their history because it's a history that is often pushed aside in classrooms or forgotten altogether by people who don't share the same racial and cultural background as those affected.  I find it interesting how race played and continues to play a role in the development of neighborhoods in the US, the services and economic opportunities, that's not discussed or acknowledged much in the mainstream. With the reversal of "white flight" (white people moving back to the cities from the suburbs, and resulting in the gentrification of mostly traditional African-American and Hispanic neighborhoods across the country, many of those neighborhoods are losing their history and identity. The loss comes through a change of name for their neighborhood, neighbors and businesses moving out because of higher costs, and an overall loss of cultural identity and history  (like how parts of Third Ward or no longer referred to as Third Ward but the Museum District or East End. Or how some businesses and people would rather call Independence Heights Garden Oaks or Oak Forest because Museum District and Oak Forest aren't associated with African-Americans). I find it disheartening when that happens. Instead of embracing history (like Freedman's town/Fourth Ward turned Midtown), in a way it's kind of erasing history piece by piece. You never see this happening in neighborhoods where the majority are white.

But back to the subject at hand...

Now is the project Texas Medical Center adjacent? Sure. And are some parts of what's present day Texas Medical Center really Third Ward (like South Macgregor at 288 and the Hermann Park area), like how part of The Museum District is Third Ward (which goes back to how cities intentionally split African-American neighborhoods by constructing freeways through them to break them up or to have a physical barrier from white neighborhoods)? Absolutely.  But just because the proposed H-E-B is near the Medical Center does not in any way make it, the nearby businesses, and residences bordering North Macgregor, Southmore, and Scott in or apart of the Texas Medical Center. Technically that particular area is considered south central Houston, but it's generally apart of Greater Third Ward.

This new HEB will be great for Third Ward. But let's be honest, it's needed. The HEB on Scott and Old Spanish Trail is sad. I had to make a stop there not long ago and never again. The store was so small and packed (not with people but because this used to be a Pantry store from what I was told, the conversion to a regular H-E-B forced the store to add more items than what they had room for), the produce section very small, the aisles were tiny, and the store overall was dirty. No wonder most people in the surrounding neighborhoods do their grocery shopping at H-E-B on West Alabama, Aldi, or shop at Super Target or Kroger near NRG.

eEiVndc.jpg

oTltaPN.jpg

cg331QO.jpg

L0X0kdY.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

On 9/12/2016 at 6:07 PM, houstontexasjack said:

Insert other media

This is the poor photo of the site plan I took.  It appears there may be an entrance from the feeder on the northern side (please note that is on the right side of the representation) of the property.

HEB Site Plan 2.jpg

On 9/13/2016 at 1:48 PM, houstontexasjack said:

Here is a link to the full presentation with better details on the site plan.  Tip of the cap to Councilmember Boykins' office for sending this to me:

http://houstontx.gov/housing/Public_Hearing_Presentation_for_288_Site_20160907.pdf

The proposed H-E-B at North Macgregor & 288 in Third Ward for those who don't want to download the complete PDF:

ELtEOgA.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/23/2017 at 7:43 PM, JLWM8609 said:

Newest update from Councilman Boykins regarding the HEB. 

This is excellent news.

I don't think this was discussed in the forum but here's the leasing agreement with the option to purchase the land from a city council meeting this summer:

The Housing and Community Development Department (HCDD) requests the approval of City Council to enter a Lease and Development Agreement with Purchase Option (Lease) with the Houston Housing Finance Corporation (HHFC) for 12.121 acres of land located on the northeast corner of Highway 288 and North MacGregor Way (Property).  The Property consists of 9.177 acres that the City is purchasing from Houston Community College (the HCC Tract), and the additional 2.944 acres are surplus parcels already owned by the City.

The Lease has a thirty (30) year term, and provides an option for HHFC to purchase the Property twelve (12) months after the effective date of the Lease.  HHFC will be sub-leasing the Property to HEB, who has committed to the construction of a full-service, 72,000 square foot grocery store on the Property together with all necessary site improvements, including a detention pond for flood mitigation.

The total annual rental breakdown is as follows:

Year

Annual Payment

$84,000

$300,000

3-9

$600,000

10-30

$660,000

In addition to the annual rent payment, for so long as the property remains exempt from ad valorem taxes, HHFC will make an additional annual payment of $325,000 as additional rent to the City.  Rental revenue will be used to service the Section 108 Loan that the City will be using to acquire the HCC Tract.

The Lease will become effective after the City closes on the HCC tract.

https://houston.novusagenda.com/agendapublic/CoverSheet.aspx?ItemID=11736&MeetingID=257