11 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

But in the case of the proposed HEB, this is located in Third Ward on the side of 288 where  New Hope MBC is located down from it. That area is in no way considered Texas Medical Center. It's Third Ward (source: plenty of co-workers and friends who live in the neighborhoods on North and South MacGregor, who for most, their homes have been in their families for at least two generations).

If you're using east of 288 and Good Hope as your demarcation lines, the proposed HEB is closer to the east side of 288 than it is to Good Hope. Furthermore, the HEB is also closer to the Harris County Psychiatric Center just across the bayou than it is to Good Hope. I still say that it's both Third Ward and the Medical Center area. Don't forget there's also a TMC themed directional sign at 288 and N. MacGregor, right in front of the proposed HEB: https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7132392,-95.3769739,3a,15.1y,310.19h,88.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s14sdN7lVbGWaPkc7s5w-Rw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

H-E-B also is planning a store at the northeast corner of state Highway 288 and North MacGregor Way. In March, the Houston City Council approved a $13.85 million deal to purchase the land from Houston Community College. The city will then sublease the property to H-E-B. However, a date for construction has not been set, a spokesperson said.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/12/29/here-are-the-houston-area-stores-h-e-b-plans-to.html?ana=e_ae_set2&s=article_du&ed=2017-12-29&u=pbnlCxEJO%2F7olDPBaRyzWw0ec272ab&t=1514594968&j=79418071

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/16/2015 at 0:17 PM, Triton said:

Damn. We need one somewhere near Studemont and I-10.  :unsure:

Edit: Man, this is super close to the one at OST.

The one on OST is more like a small neighborhood food market.  This new HEB will probably have all the amenities.:D

On 11/18/2017 at 0:17 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Yes, the proposed HEB will be on the corner of N Macgregor and 288, but it's a few blocks from Good Hope Missionary Baptist Church, making it Third Ward. Texas Medical Center is considered across the freeway where South Macgregor is. I've never heard anyone, especially those who have been lifetime residents of the neighborhood where the HEB will be built, refer or think of that area as part of the Texas Medical Center area, because it's not. It's Third Ward. Good Hope Missionary Baptist Church and Houston Chronicle has acknowledged that part as Third Ward not Texas Medical Center. Boykins has too.

I may be white, but I try to be diligent in educating myself in Houston's history with minorities and other cultures in general. I try by reading or by way of friends and co-workers who can enlighten me on their history because it's a history that is often pushed aside in classrooms or forgotten altogether by people who don't share the same racial and cultural background as those affected.  I find it interesting how race played and continues to play a role in the development of neighborhoods in the US, the services and economic opportunities, that's not discussed or acknowledged much in the mainstream. With the reversal of "white flight" (white people moving back to the cities from the suburbs, and resulting in the gentrification of mostly traditional African-American and Hispanic neighborhoods across the country, many of those neighborhoods are losing their history and identity. The loss comes through a change of name for their neighborhood, neighbors and businesses moving out because of higher costs, and an overall loss of cultural identity and history  (like how parts of Third Ward or no longer referred to as Third Ward but the Museum District or East End. Or how some businesses and people would rather call Independence Heights Garden Oaks or Oak Forest because Museum District and Oak Forest aren't associated with African-Americans). I find it disheartening when that happens. Instead of embracing history (like Freedman's town/Fourth Ward turned Midtown), in a way it's kind of erasing history piece by piece. You never see this happening in neighborhoods where the majority are white.

But back to the subject at hand...

Now is the project Texas Medical Center adjacent? Sure. And are some parts of what's present day Texas Medical Center really Third Ward (like South Macgregor at 288 and the Hermann Park area), like how part of The Museum District is Third Ward (which goes back to how cities intentionally split African-American neighborhoods by constructing freeways through them to break them up or to have a physical barrier from white neighborhoods)? Absolutely.  But just because the proposed H-E-B is near the Medical Center does not in any way make it, the nearby businesses, and residences bordering North Macgregor, Southmore, and Scott in or apart of the Texas Medical Center. Technically that particular area is considered south central Houston, but it's generally apart of Greater Third Ward.

This new HEB will be great for Third Ward. But let's be honest, it's needed. The HEB on Scott and Old Spanish Trail is sad. I had to make a stop there not long ago and never again. The store was so small and packed (not with people but because this used to be a Pantry store from what I was told, the conversion to a regular H-E-B forced the store to add more items than what they had room for), the produce section very small, the aisles were tiny, and the store overall was dirty. No wonder most people in the surrounding neighborhoods do their grocery shopping at H-E-B on West Alabama, Aldi, or shop at Super Target or Kroger near NRG.

eEiVndc.jpg

oTltaPN.jpg

cg331QO.jpg

L0X0kdY.jpg

The way that HEB looks inside is more of a management issue.  If managers don't care then why should the employees.  I'm sure this store will close once the new store opens.

2 minutes ago, corbs315 said:

I emailed Boykins' office about this a couple weeks ago and didn't hear back. Have there been any updates on this or why did this thread pick up again?

I last heard from Councilman Boykins' office that we might see some activity on the site "by the end of summer."  That was about a month ago.

• 1 month later...

I stopped by today on my way to work and got out and talked to the crew chief about the samples. He was a little vague but did say they were doing core samples for the engineers on this project. He was hesitant to say if there was a timetable. I picked up a loose small sample.  Its amazing how hard they get after being out in the hot sun all day. 

• 4 months later...
1 minute ago, corbs315 said:

I'm unfamiliar with City of Houston codes for permit types.  Is "PX" a type of construction permit?  Just trying to figure out what this signifies for the project.

Just now, houstontexasjack said:

I'm unfamiliar with City of Houston codes for permit types.  Is "PX" a type of construction permit?  Just trying to figure out what this signifies for the project.

Hey me too! I have no idea. I just know this is the first time I've seen a permit filed for "HEB-MACGREGOR" and I search the permitting site all the time.

Call the phone number on the permit and get back to me ;)

7 minutes ago, corbs315 said:

Hey me too! I have no idea. I just know this is the first time I've seen a permit filed for "HEB-MACGREGOR" and I search the permitting site all the time.

Call the phone number on the permit and get back to me ;)

I called and spoke to someone at the number.  They've just started the permitting process and are hoping it will be complete by about March 2019 so they can start construction.  Construction should take about 6-9 months once the permit is issued and construction begins.

1 minute ago, houstontexasjack said:

I called and spoke to someone at the number.  They've just started the permitting process and are hoping it will be complete by about March 2019 so they can start construction.  Construction should take about 6-9 months once the permit is issued and construction begins.

Haha you're awesome. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

I can't find any official mention of it, but word in the neighborhood is that the groundbreaking will take place on February 9th. I also heard that the store will be larger than what was originally planned. We'll see if that's the case once an official announcement goes out.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, corbs315 said:

This is crazy how did I miss all this! https://www.click2houston.com/news/new-h-e-b-causes-concern-for-third-ward-residents

Should this move to going up?

"I'm all for the new store, but make this one a Joe V's. You got handicapped people being dropped off in buses, so now, they're going to have to go all the way over there," Anna Poindexter said.

"I'm all for the new store, but make this one a Joe V's. You got handicapped people being dropped off in buses, so now, they're going to have to go all the way over there," Anna Poindexter said.

This is a good point that I didn't think about.  It looks like there is currently a bus that goes right by where the new HEB will be built - the 004 Beechnut. It has a peak frequency of 10 minutes, and 15 minutes the rest of the time, which is good, but the route is a cross town that goes from Eastwood TC, past UH (and the TDECU purple line station) and TSU, and goes to TMC transit center.  

The current HEB is next to the southeast transit center; there's 6 lines that converge there that cover a wide area, and the 54 Scott bus is the same frequency as the 004, but goes through a lot more residential areas.

I occasionally shop at the current HEB. It is very poorly operated and it lacks much of what you would find at the Dulavy HEB. Now I spend more time at the Aldi's just a few blocks down OST. Its very clean, inexpensive and easy to get around.

The O..S.T.  HEB doesn't even have a pharmacy or service window. The store is overcrowded and old. I hope that HEB is planning a store more along the lines of the Montrose store. I hope Lake Flato is designing this one. This store will have a very wide range of clients from old third ward residents, to medical center workers and Midtown museum district shoppers. They definitely need to expand the inventory to more healthy options. I find myself drifting back to my old Dunlavy store for most of my shopping because the current HEB just doesn't  carry the products. I guess I'll find all of the answers to my questions tomorrow.

48 minutes ago, bobruss said:

I occasionally shop at the current HEB. It is very poorly operated and it lacks much of what you would find at the Dulavy HEB. Now I spend more time at the Aldi's just a few blocks down OST. Its very clean, inexpensive and easy to get around.

The O..S.T.  HEB doesn't even have a pharmacy or service window. The store is overcrowded and old. I hope that HEB is planning a store more along the lines of the Montrose store. I hope Lake Flato is designing this one. This store will have a very wide range of clients from old third ward residents, to medical center workers and Midtown museum district shoppers. They definitely need to expand the inventory to more healthy options. I find myself drifting back to my old Dunlavy store for most of my shopping because the current HEB just doesn't  carry the products. I guess I'll find all of the answers to my questions tomorrow.

The name on the groundbreaking announcement (MacGregor Market) indicates that it will be one of their hybrid "Market" stores, similar to the Montrose Market at Alabama and Dunlavy.

I hope you're right. I think I'll go  to the ceremony tomorrow and l'll report what I find.

They've set up rows and rows of seats for the event, under the tent. I guess Mr. McClelland

will be there to make the announcement. Maybe he'll bring along J.J. and Jose.

Glad for the construction of this store in Riverside Terrace as I've lived here for several decades now.  Yes, Riverside Terrace.  Not sure why others continue to say that it is in Third Ward.  Even my neighbors who moved here when the neighborhood first integrated say they moved to Riverside Terrace because it was not considered a part of the historical Third Ward - they wanted to live in Riverside Terrace.  The Ward system in the City of Houston nearly bankrupted it, and was abolished in 1915.  Why anyone would continue to want to refer to themselves under an obviously corrupt form of city government is beyond me, but I digress.  Riverside Terrace was still very much a dairy farm area when the Wards were abolished.  The store is in a fantastic location because it can serve so many communities - Riverside Terrace, the Medical Center, Washington Terrace, the Museum District, etc. 

https://www.houstonproperties.com/houston-neighborhoods/riverside-terrace

I'm particularly amused by the folks already complaining and squawking about the location when it hasn't even been built yet.  Give the store a chance - we are getting something new, so, naturally, there are going to be changes in routines.  I have friends and neighbors who get their groceries delivered directly to their homes anyway, so there are many options.  Someone voiced concern over elderly and handicapped people being able to take MetroLift to the new location....  like it's in Louisiana or something.  LOL!

Anyway, the general consensus in Riverside Terrace is that we welcome it.  That land has been vacant for way too long, and we are looking forward to having a nice grocery store that is convenient.

2 hours ago, trymahjong said:

I was just wondering.....whyhasn’t A food/market chain never built further inside the third ward or at least down Emancipation?

It's been a low-income area for a long time.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_desert

Look at grocery stores on a map and you'll see the pattern very clearly.  Even with this new store they are moving it considerably closer to the wealthier areas near 288 and away from the poorer areas of the Third Ward.

What a ground breaking ceremony. 

Mayors Anise Parker and Sylvester Turner, Sheila Jackson Lee, Councilman Boykins, Scott McClellan and a host of other officials and HEB bigwigs were there. 

Hundreds of people. Scott McClellan said he had seen less people at some of their grand Openings.

The store is going to be three times 90,000 sq. ft the size of the OST Scott store. 

He said it will have everything and more than Alabama. He said it will be a great store and their new proto type for the country.

Lots of food and refreshments. 

Archived