Fantastic 50's Butterfly Roof Mod For Sale

GoAtomic

If you're a Mod lover (and happen to have 550K burning a hole in your pocket), you MUST check out this house. I drive by it every day and trust me, it is about as original as they get. It's not mine, I just own it vicariously ;) .

http://www.har.com/5619231

Built in '57, it has lots of square footage, white brick exterior, chevron patterned redwood around the inset windows, white gravel roof, carport/garage combo ... and just check out the pics inside! The older gentleman I've seen in the yard is probably the original owner. From one of the pics I think it even has a BBQ grill built into the patio wall.

Unfortunately there are no good outside pics, so you'll just have to drive by to see the exterior firsthand.

I just hope it goes to a sympathetic owner who won't tear it down or remuddle it (hint, hint).

Enjoy!

I agree.  That lot is too big with a great locale.  I am pretty sure that house it priced at lot value.  I did not find the inside to be to my liking, but that is just one man's opinion.

Just so everyone knows, my specific reason for posting the house on this forum was that someone might want to help keep it FROM being torn down.

I just hate that property values are turning the resale market upside down these days. It sucks when something with character - and space - like this one has the potential to go away just because somebody wants a new villa. :angry:

Perfect example - a house down the street from this one, which was originally a basic ranch but also on a nice big lot, was rehabbed, and the look, while not completely original, retains the spirit in which it was built. They even re-used the old brick they stripped off of it. And it's a NICE house.

Why are people so quick to throw things away today, instead of reusing? The irony is that the people with the money to save one of these are the ones that value them the least (well in most cases anyway).

Sorry, I just can't stand the thought of this one going away.

Why are people so quick to throw things away today, instead of reusing?  The irony is that the people with the money to save one of these are the ones that value them the least (well in most cases anyway).

Sorry, I just can't stand the thought of this one going away.

i feel your pain...

it is just a mindset that certain people with a few dollars have... :angry:

they should all be in their own little planned communites with their "McCustom" homes...

i feel your pain...

it is just a mindset that certain people with a few dollars have... :angry:

Perhaps breast implants, Botox, liposuction, capped teeth, lip augmentation, tummy tucks, hair plugs, et al just aren't shown off to their best advantage in houses that are original and have charactor.

The contrast would be disturbing.

Perhaps breast implants, Botox, liposuction, capped teeth, lip augmentation,  tummy tucks, hair plugs, et al just aren't shown off to their best advantage in houses that are original and have charactor.

The contrast would be disturbing.

That says it.

Plus, all of the home shows on TV, magazines....these same people would feel like losers in an old house like that.

Plus, I don't think the Mod homes are as universally appreciated yet as the Victorians, Craftsmans, etc. And, a lot of the nicer ones were built in fine areas that are even finer now. To save an area it almost has to go into decline so that the nouveau riche stay away for the initial phases of restoration so that the old house people can gain control of the architectural high ground. Glenbrook Valley, for example, has the "luck" to have had slummy apartments complexes built nearby allowing some Mod afficionados to get the jump on potential McMansioniers.

That says it.

Plus, all of the home shows on TV, magazines....these same people would feel like losers in an old house like that.

Plus, I don't think the Mod homes are as universally appreciated yet as the Victorians, Craftsmans, etc. And, a lot of the nicer ones were built in fine areas that are even finer now. To save an area it almost has to go into decline so that the nouveau riche stay away for the initial phases of restoration so that the old house people can gain control of the architectural high ground. Glenbrook Valley, for example, has the "luck" to have had slummy apartments complexes built nearby allowing some Mod afficionados to get the jump on potential McMansioniers.

You have pointed out the silver lining on the situation in Glenbrook. There is a growing number of success stories now down there.

The ones that I worry about now are the ones that are more ranch type, but still very cool. This one below is listed with Keller-Williams and has really great retro kitchen and baths. The kitchen has a free standing center island and some killer mod cabinets. Its on a good section of Glencrest. I worry because I can easily see someone deciding all that needs to go in favor of a country kitchen from Home Cheapo.... :(

IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0698.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

That says it.

rps is helping to save Glenbrook one mod at a time. Of course my flat-roof mod is right next door to a McMansion. At least they didn't tear down a mod to build it.

Hilarious:

REALTOR: "This is a fabulous 1950's property.. almost all amenities are original..Great corner lot with 18,330 square feet. Contemporary and spacious home on large corner lot. Excellent for remodel or new construction."

First the realtor says - "if you appreciate this architecture, this is the house for you." In the very next breath - "Tear this piece of junk DOWN!"

Someone needs to get in there and clean out all that furniture and put in some nice period pieces to truly sell this house. It seems like a pretty good price for the area. If we had the money, this is exactly where we would want to live. We moved from apartments just about a mile from here, and my wife works at Williams Tower...

Jason

If you're a Mod lover (and happen to have 550K burning a hole in your pocket), you MUST check out this house.  I drive by it every day and trust me, it is about as original as they get.  It's not mine, I just own it vicariously  ;) .

http://www.har.com/5619231

Built in '57, it has lots of square footage, white brick exterior, chevron patterned redwood around the inset windows, white gravel roof, carport/garage combo ... and just check out the pics inside!  The older gentleman I've seen in the yard is probably the original owner.  From one of the pics I think it even has a BBQ grill built into the patio wall. 

Unfortunately there are no good outside pics, so you'll just have to drive by to see the exterior firsthand.

I just hope it goes to a sympathetic owner who won't tear it down or remuddle it (hint, hint).

Enjoy!

It's too bad that there arent as many true mods up in the area around clay road and kempwood and all that(there is a nice neighboorhood with a lot sort of ranch-ish to ranch and mod HUGE homes that are still really nice(compared to some of the area around them) because kids there ARE NOT zoned for HISD.

Its sort of cool how that has stayed nice even though the area has sort of gone a bit downhill.

• 2 months later...

this Del Monte house was open today. I had not been in it before, (unfortunately I don't have a lot of $550,000 clients). The pictures really do not even begin to do it justice. The butterfly roof, the flagstone hearth that extends through the wall and out onto the patio to form a ledge in front of a built in retro bar b que, the incredible woodwork, sloping celings, original door & hardware flanked by the frosted glass panels. The whole bit. It is a really good one & you don't really hear the traffic from Sage either. Which surprised me.

this Del Monte house was open today. I had not been in it before, (unfortunately I don't have a lot of $550,000 clients). The pictures really do not even begin to do it justice. The butterfly roof, the flagstone hearth that extends through the wall and out onto the patio to form a ledge in front of a built in retro bar b que, the incredible woodwork, sloping celings, original door & hardware flanked by the frosted glass panels. The whole bit. It is a really good one & you don't really hear the traffic from Sage either. Which surprised me.

Rats, I missed it!

RPS - any chance of you holding this open sometime soon? ;)

The pictures really do not even begin to do it justice.

I saw it too and your comment was the same thing I told the agent. It is beautiful in person. First class. And in overall very good condition and very original. The built-in in the entry hall includes a speaker and recessed lighting. Very space-age swank. The marble in the baths is beautiful. The guest bath counter is a thick white marble with an gorgeous aqua undremounted basin. The tub is also aqua and set in the corner at a diagonal. It is surrounded with an aqua and gray marble. All the other baths are deluxe also. The kitchen has the original aqua laminate counters. I have never seen that design of laminate. It has a background of gray grid that repeates the Mondrian inspired grills on all the exterior gates at the entry and the courtyard patios.

The agent confirmed the architects were Brodnax, Phenix & Associates. Other building designs they contributed to were the Astroworld Hotel and the Harris County Administration Building. Brodnax attended the University of Houston- College of Architecture in the early 1950's with Lars Bang, Lucian Hood, Jr., and William Jenkins. Bang has four designs visible from this house.

The kitchen has the original aqua laminate counters. I have never seen that design of laminate. It has a background of gray grid that repeates the Mondrian inspired grills on all the exterior gates at the entry and the courtyard patios.

Over the past week I have had the opportunity to save a ton of stuff from a completely original late 50's house that is now being updated. While the house is anything but contemporary, it is very unique and was completely untouched, right down to the pink asphalt tile on the kitchen floor.

Included in the findings were 2 complete prefab countertop assemblies covered in a pink laminate with a brown crosshatch Mondrian pattern, edged at all sides with brushed stainless steel. It has 'union made' labels on the back from somwhere in Indiana, as well as a handwritten 'Kitchen design by O'Meara and ......' (can't recall the name). And under one hidden edge, the laminate surface is stamped with 'GE Textolite - Years of Wear, Minutes of Care'.

One of the two counters was 17 FEET long - and I hauled it home dragging out the back of a rented uhaul. It had a backsplash held on with long wood screws, so I've now broken it down into its component parts for storage.

This house also had original Thermador stainless appliances, tons of colored bath tile and fixtures, about 30 of the square recessed 'Prescolite' ceiling light fixtures with copper frames (the originals seen in some Case Study houses), Honeywell 'Tap-Lite' pushbutton light switches, and it even had a Honeywell 'zoned' A/C system with 4 thermostats!

Talk about an expensive house in those days ... it had all the cutting edge stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
What do these look like? I wonder if they're like our switches.

They're about 1" dia round tapered buttons, each switch fits in the space of a regular switch in the wall box. The wallplates are concave clear plastic and can be filled with paper liners to match wall color or wallpaper.

I'm sure they're the only thing like it out there, so these are probably yours, too. The reason I know the name is the paper inserts on mine were reversed originals and have the 'Honeywell Tap Lite' name printed inside the fold.

• 9 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived