Holiday Inn Express At 3401 North Main St.

Sparrow

Holiday Inn Express to go in at North Main and I-45--on next planning commission agenda. Not likely to be anything spectacular, but with the small footprint of less than an acre and a half, should be of some interest. SWC Norma and North Main. Grota Street officially abandoned by COH last month.

85 rooms. 6 floors.

Edited by Sparrow
  • Like 3

Holiday Inn Express to go in at North Main and I-45--on next planning commission agenda. Not likely to be anything spectacular, but with the small footprint of less than an acre and a half, should be of some interest. SWC Norma and North Main. Grota Street officially abandoned by COH last month.

85 rooms. 6 floors.

Were those numbers in the planning commission?

• 3 weeks later...

CTZnw46UsAATTif.png

As I look at this I can't help but think how very poorly the building placement in the middle of the lot results in wasted space--look at all of that driveway encircling the entire building. Just eyeballing it without actually doing up a schematic, better building placement should result in additional parking spaces by reducing the wasted driveway acreage. I'm sure it's just the visual perception I'm getting, no doubt they did their due diligence, but it just seems like a poor choice. Building setbacks no doubt play a part, but that's what they're seeking a variance for anyhow I believe.

Depending on where your building is placed relative to roads, you might need to have fire lane access around your building. This is generally why so many non-urban properties are built like this.

As I look at this I can't help but think how very poorly the building placement in the middle of the lot results in wasted space--look at all of that driveway encircling the entire building. Just eyeballing it without actually doing up a schematic, better building placement should result in additional parking spaces by reducing the wasted driveway acreage. I'm sure it's just the visual perception I'm getting, no doubt they did their due diligence, but it just seems like a poor choice. Building setbacks no doubt play a part, but that's what they're seeking a variance for anyhow I believe.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

So construction has started but I'm not confident this is a Holiday Inn Express anymore. The layout of the foundation doesn't match the schematics. Anyone think this became something else? I'll take some photos this weekend.

• 6 months later...
On 6/8/2018 at 11:42 PM, Triton said:

So construction has started but I'm not confident this is a Holiday Inn Express anymore. The layout of the foundation doesn't match the schematics. Anyone think this became something else? I'll take some photos this weekend.

45271764705_62de065484_h.jpg

3401 N Main Holiday Inn Express by Marc longoria, on Flickr

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

True that. It looks like a completely normal, clean, and safe motel that normal people who are traveling away from home might actually spend the night in.

The other places in the area look sketchy, like hooker/drug hangouts.

Edited by zaphod
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Now on the HAIF Development Map under the layer "Under Construction". For any updates on the status of this project. Please DM me.

Things to keep an eye on include (but not limited to):

-updated renders (will be adding pics to all projects later)
-project name changes

-changes in use or additions of uses

-changes in number of stories

-changes to Developer or additional Developers

-changes to Architect or additional Architects/Designers

-announcements or changes to construction dates / finish dates

If any of the above is missing in the project info already then please assist clarifying any missing info to me.

3 hours ago, Luminare said:

Now on the HAIF Development Map under the layer "Under Construction". For any updates on the status of this project. Please DM me.

Things to keep an eye on include (but not limited to):

-updated renders (will be adding pics to all projects later)
-project name changes

-changes in use or additions of uses

-changes in number of stories

-changes to Developer or additional Developers

-changes to Architect or additional Architects/Designers

-announcements or changes to construction dates / finish dates

If any of the above is missing in the project info already then please assist clarifying any missing info to me.

Do you have a link to this?

With this hotel and the new Courtyard Houston Heights (see link below ... I think a nice looking building ... is there a thread on this project?), I’m wondering what is taking Midtown so long to get a midtier hotel, advertising proximity to downtown, the Med Ctr, Museum District, and Montrose.

Seems like a couple of these would work well in EaDo too.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/houcw-courtyard-houston-heights-i-10/

5 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

With this hotel and the new Courtyard Houston Heights (see link below ... I think a nice looking building ... is there a thread on this project?), I’m wondering what is taking Midtown so long to get a midtier hotel, advertising proximity to downtown, the Med Ctr, Museum District, and Montrose.

Seems like a couple of these would work well in EaDo too.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/houcw-courtyard-houston-heights-i-10/

The hotel guys can’t compete with the multi family guys on land pricing in midtown. It’s possible you might see some tighter sites being taken on by hotel guys once the parking requirements go away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, HNathoo said:

The hotel guys can’t compete with the multi family guys on land pricing in midtown. It’s possible you might see some tighter sites being taken on by hotel guys once the parking requirements go away. 

Agree. Until that requirement goes away, we will only get the super large ones in town, or tiny ones that reuse old buildings. Parking is such a drag in terms of costs especially when turn over is the whole point of a hotel, and you just don't know if you are going to get full occupancy or very few depending on the months. Parking is already deadspace, but even more so for hotels.