Radical commuter rail ideas

ADCS

Was just thinking that it might be useful to have a thread where seemingly "crazy" ideas can be discussed.

For example, this thought occurred to me - why don't they outright replace Mykawa Rd with a commuter rail line into Houston? It's currently underused, and there are several substantial benefits to this route:

1. Provides for a rail link between Downtown, Pearland and Hobby Airport (using a rail or shuttle link from that station)

2. Provides a high-speed connection between UH/TSU and Downtown/Pearland/Hobby. This could be particularly useful in attracting out-of-state students to these universities

3. Minimizes new infrastructure for cross streets, as it has already been built for the adjacent rail line

4. Minimizes the amount of cross-usage needed with the freight lines.

Your thoughts?

Could be discussed in the Charette?  :)

Mods, please move there if appropriate. I started this one because the charrette isn't in the Trains forum, and has been dormant for some time.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the idea, except I would move the crosstown line from the politically-infeasible Richmond corridor and move it up to Westheimer. Heck, if the engineering requires it, I wouldn't be opposed to converting Lower Westheimer into one-way or pedestrian-only traffic.

Why not when they are ripping up westheimer for the drainage work just install a subway?  Cut and cover - and then it could hit all the good spots too

I'd like that too - but I'm not sure what the per mile cost would be.

What is the difference in CRT and HRT on your map?  Looks like a nice start of network

The commuter rail is meant to serve areas outside of the beltway so the majority of the stops would be in the more distant suburbs. The red stations are supposed to be transfer stations.

I like the idea, except I would move the crosstown line from the politically-infeasible Richmond corridor and move it up to Westheimer. Heck, if the engineering requires it, I wouldn't be opposed to converting Lower Westheimer into one-way or pedestrian-only traffic.

I figured that it would attract more riders if it passed through Greenway Plaza.

Houston%20Transit_zps2ns0fhob.jpg

Damn, I actually really like this idea if HSR doesn't get to downtown.  Light rail from NW Mall to downtown would take too long, so I like heavy rail there.  And I've always thought heavy rail should go all the way out Westheimer.  Also nice job of connecting Hobby to downtown without overlapping the existing light rail too much. 

Houston%20Transit-Wide-2_zpshrg47jid.jpg

Full view.

To summarize, two hubs (east and west), heavy rail loop connecting them, commuter rail stops get more frequent outside of the beltway, and Pearland gets nothing because it's between two freight corridors and its about to get one of those tollway-inside of-freeway-inside of-avenue things and should be groovy for a while. Remaining railways get expanded and grade seperated to move chemicals and freight.

we arent getting a subway in the galleria area, cmon guys lol. lets be real

Yeah, it would make too much sense. Instead of a train that gets people in and out of employment districts or to airports quickly, we will get another billion dollar bus line that, takes 10 years to plan, doesn't really go anywhere, takes commuters to where they don't live, and then leaders will point to it as evidence to why mass transit can never work in Houston.

Someone should tell these people that everything will be fine, Commuter trains still run on diesel, and people will still buy lots of gas for their cars.

None of the above maps service the North Frwy corridor or the northern burbs. Goes to show just how of touch they are. Not to mention, I'm fairly certain that the North Frwy is either the first or second most congested in the city. It sure as hell isn't the Estex.

None of the above maps service the North Frwy corridor or the northern burbs. Goes to show just how of touch they are. Not to mention, I'm fairly certain that the North Frwy is either the first or second most congested in the city. It sure as hell isn't the Estex.

I had read somewhere that certain hazardous freight can't share rail with passengers. Since that freight still needs to reach the port, it leaves no path for a commuter rail system to follow going north.

I had read somewhere that certain hazardous freight can't share rail with passengers. Since that freight still needs to reach the port, it leaves no path for a commuter rail system to follow going north.

Which is crazy because hazardous freight goes through neighborhoods and next to schools all day long. But I guess because none of those people aren't commuters, it's OK.

its sad because the only way this city ever becomes a world class city is by a better transit system. Instead we'll spend billions on expanding highways and nonsense. Sad , the worst part of it is that there is no light rail construction going anywhere in houston right now. We're contempt with our crappy transit

Archived