I-10 will be may favorite freeway completed in 2009.

Big opening space between the freeway of SH 288

they should plan on planting palm trees and a small mini creek down along that middle section of the freeway with sand and rocks.

They are planting trees, but the orginal concept was to place another freeway within the median. Right now it is being proposed to be a new tollway or HOT lanes. I don't think the new toll facility will need all the space though leaving room for a row of trees on each side.

I'd hate to see those (recently planted) trees go. They're just starting to really take hold and fill-in the space. Maybe HCTRA would uproot the trees in the ROW and replant them either with the current trees for a denser row of trees or work with TxDOT to replant them on the outer edges of the freeway. I like the denser row because it could make for a very cool driving experience on the tollway--especially heading into downtown with the skyline view between a good stand of trees.

• 5 months later...

The technically correct answer to your question is "no." The City of Houston will not build direct connector ramps between these two highways because they have no jurisdiction over state and county roadways.

However, I think the latest H-GAC TIP includes a line item for direct connectors at this intersection. I don't know when they're supposed to be built, however. TxDOT and HCTRA would likely share construction costs.

Edited by The Voice of University Oaks

Will the city of Houston

ever gonna build flyover ramps at this section

of the SH 288 freeway and Bw8 tollway. :lol:

I hear you loud and clear Dominax. That intersection is already starting to exhibit growing pains. With over 10,000 homes being built in Shadow Creek Ranch, you can bet a solid amount of them will be going through that intersection every day. Direct exits from B8 onto Kirby and/or Kingsley from the East AND West would be a great help. I think they're going to have an exit from the eastbound lanes to Kirby in the near future but it would be more effective from the westbound lanes in my opinion.

I'll soon be driving from SCR to Clear Lake each day. Now, because HCTRA decided to put the two closest tolls on B8 near this stretch, I"ll be forced to use the B8/288 stoplights. Either that or spend an extra $500 a year for two tolls instead of one. There is a toll 3.5 miles east of 288 and 1.5 miles west of 288. As a result of these tolls being so close, HCTRA limits the on/off ramps. Heading west to SCR from I-45, you either have to exit at 288 (major pain) or exit at 521 (another $500 a year and it still has one of those goofy roundabout B8 entrance/exits, presumably to avoid the railroad tracks). Tough call.

I commute from cullen and 8 to clear lake quite often. there's only one toll for me so i often take the beltway, but it really only saves me 10 minutes. there are so few lights on the feeder, and you can jump on at beamer for free and connect to 45 directly.

a direct ramp from 288 to beltway would be really nice. i never use that intersection, i take cullen north to almeda to get to 288.

I commute from cullen and 8 to clear lake quite often. there's only one toll for me so i often take the beltway, but it really only saves me 10 minutes. there are so few lights on the feeder, and you can jump on at beamer for free and connect to 45 directly.

a direct ramp from 288 to beltway would be really nice. i never use that intersection, i take cullen north to almeda to get to 288.

Yeah, since you're on the east side of 288, life is a lot better. I've been experimenting with different ways to get from 288/B8 to Clear Lake. I've tried the feeder and I think there are 4 lights and you're right, I would guess it takes an additional 10-15 minutes. My main problem is heading west and the fact that there are no exits between 288 and 521. Does Cullen intersect with 2234/McHard Road? I can't remember. It doesn't on google maps but those are a little old.

Edited by BWSchultz

^ i don't think there is a signal at Cullen and McHard, so i doubt it connects. There is a light at Hughes Ranch so maybe that goes through, never gone that way though.

i wish there were free entrances/exits around the beltway and 288 like there are at all the other freeway interchanges.

No McHard and Cullen do not intersect. That area is pretty fubar'd in the morning. I use the BW8>Cullen>518 route alot.

The only alternate north of 518/Broadway is take McHard to Smith Ranch South to Hughes Ranch East to Stone North to Brookside East. A bit convoluted.

After reading, I decide to look at Shadow Creek Ranch's website, and I read this:

"Shadow Creek Ranch is the #1 selling master-planned community in the Houston-Pearland Metroplex."

Ehh, Houston-Pearland Metroplex.

Edited by CincoRanch-HoustonResident

I second that...

Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown is okay.. but Houston-Pearland?

I'm not positive or anything, but I think they could just say "Houston Metroplex" or "Houston Metro Area." I think it's selling faster than anything else in Houston. But I think you have to have two cities of more comparable size to use it like they did and I really don't think Houston has any suburbs that qualify. For example, you could say Dallas-Fort Worth or DC-Baltimore. The closest you could say is Houston-Galveston, since Galveston is technically part of the Houston metro area but even that is stretching it.

They're just trying to market the Pearland area, where the development is located. They're the only ones who have ever used such a designation. Thus, they're just trying to sell homes.

Doesn't mean much if they say that they're the #1 selling development in the Houston-Cypress Metroplex, for example. No, they're trying to promote 1) their product and 2) the location of their product.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

Doesn't mean much if they say that they're the #1 selling development in the Houston-Cypress Metroplex, for example. No, they're trying to promote 1) their product and 2) the location of their product.

They could certainly have phrased it better. The other point (besides location) is that SCR is, in fact, selling ridiculously fast, primarily because of the location. I think they originally thought it was going to take 15 years to sell out. Now they're saying closer to 6-8 years.

• 6 months later...

Is 288 completed as a freeway yet down there? On Google Earth, 288 still has some cross streets from the Beltway, all the way down to Highway 6. Is it planned to be a full freeway down to Lake Jackson?

Is 288 completed as a freeway yet down there? On Google Earth, 288 still has some cross streets from the Beltway, all the way down to Highway 6. Is it planned to be a full freeway down to Lake Jackson?

I recall that the freeway ends at either FM 518 or SH 6. I think they're extending it out to at least FM 1462.

Max?

it definitely goes past 518. i can't remember if i had a stop or not when i drove to hwy6 last month. there is a lot of development out there, so don't worry, it'll be a freeway soon enough.

I can tell you this much: there are no stop signs/lights between Houston and Lake Jackson/Clute. Once 288 becomes 332, there are a few lights heading toward Freeport, however.

As far as I know that SH288 extends with grid separations from downtown all the way to FM 518. More grid separation is now in the process of construction at South Fork Drive just south of FM 518. Upgrading SH288 to freeway standard will probably continue on one intersection at a time. More frontage road is being added between Beltway 8 and FM2234. For more information concerning SH 288 corridor go to SH 288 Corridor Feasibility Study.

As far as I know that SH288 extends with grid separations from downtown all the way to FM 518. More grid separation is now in the process of construction at South Fork Drive just south of FM 518. Upgrading SH288 to freeway standard will probably continue on one intersection at a time. More frontage road is being added between Beltway 8 and FM2234. For more information concerning SH 288 corridor go to SH 288 Corridor Feasibility Study.

In January or February I spoke to Roger Gonzalez at txdot regarding the feasibility study and basically was told that all the research part was done on, they were creating plans (making decisions?) on what would work best for 288 expansion, HOV, etc.. He said the public would be invited to meetings sometime this fall or winter. With all the new businesses opening up along 288, some attention needs to be spent there.

In January or February I spoke to Roger Gonzalez at txdot regarding the feasibility study and basically was told that all the research part was done on, they were creating plans (making decisions?) on what would work best for 288 expansion, HOV, etc.. He said the public would be invited to meetings sometime this fall or winter. With all the new businesses opening up along 288, some attention needs to be spent there.

As of today, when do you think the 288 expansion project will start and finish? A lot of us who travel on 288 daily would like to know. Traffic is getting worse and worse. Hopefully, with the grass median between the inbound and outbound lanes, construction would not take long. It will not become a 10 year expansion project like I-10.

As of today, when do you think the 288 expansion project will start and finish? A lot of us who travel on 288 daily would like to know. Traffic is getting worse and worse. Hopefully, with the grass median between the inbound and outbound lanes, construction would not take long. It will not become a 10 year expansion project like I-10.

Unless HCTRA gets involved unexpectedly (doubtful), I wouldn't put money on it being a quick project. Its a state-owned ROW, so even if HCTRA wanted to run a toll road down the middle, they'd have to negotiate with TXDoT for the rights. They'd be more likely to undertake the Alvin Freeway project first.

It seems like there is enough space around 288, so Metro can make some Park and Ride places around 288. They can be like those "T" stations. Have an HOV at least down to Highway 6.

Although they've been discussing it for some time now, METRO's service area doesn't currently extend down into Pearland.

• 4 months later...
Hey folks I really enjoy reading this forum. I was curious if anyone had any info on the SH 288 Corridor Feasibility Study that DOT began in 2003.

Brian

I do not wish to see 288 convert into a toll road, especially not during my school year; I commute to school using SH 288.