Right Next to Major Freeway - Is Noise An Issue for Apartment Development Projects

If a mid-rise apartment is right next to a major freeway (35 ft to the freeway on ramp, and 70 ft to the freeway lanes from the property line), and most units will be facing the freeway.  Is noise from the freeway going to be an issue that negatively impacts leasing/rent/property value?

If a mid-rise apartment is right next to a major freeway (35 ft to the freeway on ramp, and 70 ft to the freeway lanes from the property line), and most units will be facing the freeway. Is noise from the freeway going to be an issue that negatively impacts leasing/rent/property value?

Good question. With most apartments going up next to freeways that are "luxury" properties, and filled up to near capacity, the noise and views don't seem to affect leasing or rent prices. When I was searching for apartments in 2010, and 2012, a majority of the properities only had less than desirable units available. Ground floor in Midtown, alleyway view with I-10 freeway noise, I-10 second floor, I-10 4th floor, 45 first floor, and 59 3rd floor... Had no price difference from courtyard or skyline views, or even complexes far from the freeways nestled quietly in the loop or west loop. The units with views went quickly, always before we had time to tour another complex.

The noise and views seem to be a personal issue and doesn't come into play with rent pricing. We were encouraged to sign the longest lease they offered to hold on to the current pricing for as long as possible. It is and was a good idea since rent has skyrocketed since we first looked. As of now, it still looks to go up for at least another year or until more units come online and demand is met.

I'm not sure if the corner units with million dollar views will command higher rent than say a ground floor freeway or alley view when supply shouldn't be this bad.

Edit: that last statement is doubtful unless there is some crises with filling units. Half a million dollar homes get sold quickly next to the train tracks that run parallel to Washington & I-10.

I guess some people cannot be bothered by noise. I cannot. The freeways always have that high pitched hum, with the occasional 18-wheeler blasting through. On top of that you have the crotch rocket gangs that rev up at 3:00am and sound like a biblical plaque of angry bees swarming at your earlobes. No thanks.

Some streets are noisy too, depends on your neighbors and neighborhood. I mean it is the city after all.

I live about half a mile from 288. I can hear sirens, crotch rockets, and rice burners throughout the day and night. I mostly hear a rushing noise during the night from the traffic on the freeway. When the freeway flooded during Memorial Day, the neighborhood was definitely quieter with the absence of traffic. I can't imagine being only a few feet from the freeway. I wonder if these developments have more insulation to keep the noise down?

The question is whether being close to a freeway impacts rent prices. I don't know as I am not in the business. I can say this: I, personally, would not rent such a unit, period. The price or the discount wouldn't matter to me. I just wouldn't rent it. For many, it may not matter and they would gladly rent it at some price, maybe even full price. But I would not.

I used to live in the Alexan (not sure if that is the name now) apartments on I-10 -- you can definitely hear the road noise, but after a few days, you become accustomed to it and don't notice it at all...there was no difference in pricing of apartments facing the I-10 compared to the same plan on the same floor not facing the highway - the higher up you went, the more expensive they got though..

I used to live in the Alexan (not sure if that is the name now) apartments on I-10 -- you can definitely hear the road noise, but after a few days, you become accustomed to it and don't notice it at all...there was no difference in pricing of apartments facing the I-10 compared to the same plan on the same floor not facing the highway - the higher up you went, the more expensive they got though..

It's called 7 Square now, apparently.

Anyway, I can imagine that noise would be an issue for pretty much everything...if not a major highway, then a highly trafficked road (though the distinct rumbling sound from columns would make more noise). High rise apartments maybe, but I travel on the Beltway and I see these little neighborhood-style garden apartment complexes, and I shake my head... (Westway Village specifically)

• 5 weeks later...

I use to office out of a building right off of the freeway.  During the evening and night when the traffic speed picked up the sound was a nightmare!  

Half price would not convince me to live in a unit with windows facing the freeway.    

• 11 months later...

Yes OP, but that's what buffer walls are for. Walls between the freeways and buildings adjacent to them. They don't totally drown out the sound but, depending on the material used to build the walls, they can reduce the noise greatly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Right Next to Major Freeway - Is Noise An Issue for Apartment Development Projects

Archived