Gerald Hines Waterwall Park At 2800 Post Oak Blvd.

A great example of the city doing something good for its people. For a long time people have worried about the water wall's status. Now we know it will be safe.

While we're on the topic, can anyone confirm/deny the urban legend that the wall is part of the Williams Tower's HVAC system? My suspicions are that it's not, but every once in a while I hear someone say this.

While we're on the topic, can anyone confirm/deny the urban legend that the wall is part of the Williams Tower's HVAC system? My suspicions are that it's not, but every once in a while I hear someone say this.

I'm almost certain it's not: they turn it off much of the time, esp. during droughts.

It is not part of the utility system of Williams. It was only built there after plans for the second tower were scrapped.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Ya know, 99% of the waterwall photos out there all seem to be head-on and from the exact same spot (some of mine included).

Just adding a little perspective and getting a little more in the background really adds a lot, i think.

Nice work.

Edited by Highway6

Ya know, 99% of the waterwall photos out there all seem to be head-on and from the exact same spot (some of mine included).

Just adding a little perspective and getting a little more in the background really adds a lot, i think.

Nice work.

Too funny, you are absolutely right. Heck, that's what I try to accomplish too, head-on shots.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I think the city rule about needing a permit to use a tripod has been meantioned here before but I'm curious as to if anyone can point or link to the specific City Of Houston statute that states this?

Do we need a permit to use a tripod? Where is the proof?

This is what I like to carry with me in my photog bag:

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

Edited by jb4647

Hines' property site only puts this about the Waterwall:

The management office must be contacted at least 10 business days in advance for information and reservations to have a wedding ceremony OR photography at the Waterwall.

(http://www.property-website.com/pws/sites/4/live/propertyprofile/index.jsp)

I don't know anything about a city ordinance/regulation about it and can't find anything on the city web site or searchable municipal code..

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't believe it's a city thing as much as a property management thing. It's the same at Rice University. No one will say anything when your just walking around snapping pictures but as soon as you drag out a tripod your going to be confronted.  Is a tripod to "professional" looking?  I don't know and I don't blame you for wanting to use one. That's just the way it is. 

It's been that way a long time. I got told I couldn't use a tripod to set up a group picture when we met up with some relatives at the Waterwall back in 1990 or so. Just wanted to do that so I could get in the picture too, with the self timer. The security guard was perfectly obliging and willing to take our picture, so apparently that comes up all the time. Wonder if they screen their security guards for photography skills? :rolleyes:

In all the years I lived in Houston, I admired it over the LACK of heavy handedness I saw living in both Washington D C and of course Richmond Virginia just south of D C . I wish ya the best of luck . Texas was FOUNDED by renegades , prisioners , has beens , drunks and other assorted charicters that were demed to unworthy by the "Blue Bloods " Long live and God Bless Texas !!!!!!!!!!! Scrubba

To enter the building or shoot at the Water Wall, perhaps.

The sidewalk is a public sidewalk. Snap away. Next time he pesters you ask him to cite his source.

http://carlosmiller.com is a really cool blog about this issue.

Actually, this is not always true. You are free to snap away without a tripod, but as soon as you set up equipment (even a Wal-Mart tripod counts) many cities (New York, Chicago, London, Los Angeles, Long Beach that I know of, likely others) you need a permit because you're obstructing the public way.

I thought a few years ago, Hines donated the Water Wall to the city for use as a public park. Or did I imagine that?