Faster Train Trips? How About No Stops!

arndthwrld82

There is a Chinese engineering idea to run trains that don't stop but rather pick up filled cars as they pass a train station. It's pretty ingenious.

The cars sit on a second level platform and travelers load into them. Then the train comes by underneath and catches the car filled with passengers. The passengers head down into the train and the empty car is left at the next stop after picking up the full car.

There is a cool video on YouTube. I'll try to post it but I'm not sure it will work.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D07Y9JVqSX0"frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't understand. So the train below becomes useless as a train and is a conveyor belt like in a car wash, but passengers still have to wait for the train... Plus you would have to wait in the "Car" to continue on to the next station.

I don't see any improvement over regular train stations?

I don't understand. So the train below becomes useless as a train and is a conveyor belt like in a car wash, but passengers still have to wait for the train... Plus you would have to wait in the "Car" to continue on to the next station.

I don't see any improvement over regular train stations?

Besides the "why not just use express trains", there just seems to create more opportunities for things to go wrong, like if the train doesn't catch properly on the upper level, or the "cars" smash into each other, or if the leading car goes too far and topples onto the track below, or any combination thereof. Not to mention the fact that this increases the needed clearance, and so forth. 

Perhaps there is a stair/lift access panel from the lower car to the upper car, so when you're stop is the next one, you head up and board the upper car. Otherwise, you remain in the lower cars.  Timed access, with a panel that automatically prohibits movement between the two cars when in a certain distance from the station, could make it interesting. Of course, I'm speculating.

Besides the "why not just use express trains", there just seems to create more opportunities for things to go wrong, like if the train doesn't catch properly on the upper level, or the "cars" smash into each other, or if the leading car goes too far and topples onto the track below, or any combination thereof. Not to mention the fact that this increases the needed clearance, and so forth.

Seems as worth while as the buses that were elevated above traffic that was proposed a while back.

Seems as worth while as the buses that were elevated above traffic that was proposed a while back.

Sounds great! What if there was some sort of whole roadway system above the city blocks that could bypass stoplights and connect one side of the city to the other, with all the cars and buses going much faster than the main traffic.

Oh wait.  -_-

The train goes faster.  The wait in the station isn't improved, but the train doesn't have to decelerate/accelerate between stations

And what happens inside the train as riders have to move from car to car to ensure they're on the car that stops where they want. 

I saw this thread title earlier and, without reading, this is exactly what popped in my head

I'm still trying to see how this would be practical.  Based on the video it doesn't appear that you would be able to move between upper and lower cars...

So let's say a train is going from point A (somewhere far out) to Z (Central area).  Those traveling from A to Z would obviously benefit from no stops - but what about those in between?  I guess if everyone (stops B, C, etc.) is headed to Z then maybe the train could just accumulate the cars above.  So people at B would save time, C slightly less, etc., due to fewer stops.  But then other options (going from B to C, for example) are completely lost

If people can somehow transfer between upper and lower cars (without chaos) there would certainly be benefits for anyone going beyond a single stop.  If they can't transfer then the video really doesn't make any sense as anyone between A and Z would only be able to go a single stop.  It seems like it would be better (but perhaps equally deadly) to attach/detach a car on the end somehow

I saw this thread title earlier and, without reading, this is exactly what popped in my head

I'm still trying to see how this would be practical.  Based on the video it doesn't appear that you would be able to move between upper and lower cars...

So let's say a train is going from point A (somewhere far out) to Z (Central area).  Those traveling from A to Z would obviously benefit from no stops - but what about those in between?  I guess if everyone (stops B, C, etc.) is headed to Z then maybe the train could just accumulate the cars above.  So people at B would save time, C slightly less, etc., due to fewer stops.  But then other options (going from B to C, for example) are completely lost

If people can somehow transfer between upper and lower cars (without chaos) there would certainly be benefits for anyone going beyond a single stop.  If they can't transfer then the video really doesn't make any sense as anyone between A and Z would only be able to go a single stop.  It seems like it would be better (but perhaps equally deadly) to attach/detach a car on the end somehow

If you were going to B to C, that would be the most convenient thing, because you could stay on the upper car. If you were going from B to F, however, that's when things get sticky.

I just can't see a way that it could transfer easily. Even if there were pull-down stairs like what airplanes have, you'd have a lot of people climbing up and down them, which is not only troublesome from the convenience a train offers but also completely screws you over if you were disabled, and if trains were packed, a stairway coming in from above would make things even worse.

The idea is exactly that you would transfer from the upper car into the train below after the car is picked up. It would be very simple. The upper car would lock into place above a fixed stairway and a hatch would open in the bottom of the upper car (and the top of the lower car and you would walk down or up the stairs. To limit chaos there may be one ramp for up and one for down. They would have to be timed to open and allow movement within cars between stops. For safety they would have to close automatically with ample time for riders to transit between and then lock out any late-comers.

I in no way think this would ever happen in this country. But I think it's a very neat idea. I hope China attempts it so I can check it out some time.

The idea is exactly that you would transfer from the upper car into the train below after the car is picked up. It would be very simple. The upper car would lock into place above a fixed stairway and a hatch would open in the bottom of the upper car (and the top of the lower car and you would walk down or up the stairs. To limit chaos there may be one ramp for up and one for down. They would have to be timed to open and allow movement within cars between stops. For safety they would have to close automatically with ample time for riders to transit between and then lock out any late-comers.

I in no way think this would ever happen in this country. But I think it's a very neat idea. I hope China attempts it so I can check it out some time.

That makes sense. I of course watched the video with no sound and didn't realize people in the upper cars would transfer into the train.

If you were going to B to C, that would be the most convenient thing, because you could stay on the upper car. If you were going from B to F, however, that's when things get sticky.

I just can't see a way that it could transfer easily. Even if there were pull-down stairs like what airplanes have, you'd have a lot of people climbing up and down them, which is not only troublesome from the convenience a train offers but also completely screws you over if you were disabled, and if trains were packed, a stairway coming in from above would make things even worse.

I would think B to D would be the stickiest. you can stay in the upper car and stop for who knows how long at C, or you run down the stairs, only to have to go back up almost immediately. 

and what about the train stations? how would the platforms work? you have to usher everyone out of the upper car that's just been dropped by the blue train, and usher everyone on for the green train that's going to be by in a minute or so to pick up that upper car. I mean, there's always an upper car in the station on a track at a platform except when there is actually a train rolling through the station. this is exactly the opposite of how it works now.

Reminds me of the old on-the-fly mailbag exchange.

Seems that the acceleration would be quite abrupt at some point or the train would necessarily be excessively long to allow for a gradual acceleration of the catch car.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bloghouston.com/blog/2013/10/10/mayor-annise-parker-pledges-build-light-rail-airports/

It was a campaign promise during a mayoral debate in 2013.  We all know that anything said during a campaign is pretty much bs designed to get votes so you can't give it much weight.

Yeah I completely agree but still I'd like to know some details for Metros expansion plans. I don't want to wait another 10 yrs for more track to be laid. We seriously need a connection to the Galleria on both the north and south side of the city. 

Archived