Ivy Lofts: Condominium High-Rise At 2604 Leeland St.

• 2 weeks later...

"Ductless a/c" systems?

So, is that a fancy name for a "window unit"? The kind of stuff that they have in places like suburban Marriott Courtyard's and Hampton inns? I find those things quite noisy --- never found one that didn't rattle and hum or just be very loud. Is that what they mean by "ductless a/c"? Or, is there some other type of system out there?

"Ductless a/c" systems?

So, is that a fancy name for a "window unit"? The kind of stuff that they have in places like suburban Marriott Courtyard's and Hampton inns? I find those things quite noisy --- never found one that didn't rattle and hum or just be very loud. Is that what they mean by "ductless a/c"? Or, is there some other type of system out there?

• Like 1

Wait.

So every unit in Ivy is going to have an "outside" compressor box like the one pictured here? Where will it go? On the balcony? And the condensate from the inside unit will drained outside to the balcony too and drip down the building? Perhaps they will build gathering pipes and drain it for several units?

How loud are this outside compressors? are they as loud as the typical single-family home compressor?

• Like 1

I was wondering the same thing.  The ones I have seen on high rises in other countries are bolted onto the building right outside the unit.  My guess is that these will be on the balconies, but that wouldn't seem logical given they are trying to efficiently use every square inch of space.

I was wondering the same thing. The ones I have seen on high rises in other countries are bolted onto the building right outside the unit. My guess is that these will be on the balconies, but that wouldn't seem logical given they are trying to efficiently use every square inch of space.

How does this "ductless a/c" provide heat? Is the heating system separate?

I was wondering the same thing.  The ones I have seen on high rises in other countries are bolted onto the building right outside the unit.  My guess is that these will be on the balconies, but that wouldn't seem logical given they are trying to efficiently use every square inch of space.

Agree.  These are more common overseas in units that are more compact than what we have in Houston but they can be an eye sore from the outside.  Very curious as to how they plan on making this part of what looks like a sleek complex.

Agree. These are more common overseas in units that are more compact than what we have in Houston but they can be an eye sore from the outside. Very curious as to how they plan on making this part of what looks like a sleek complex.

I have looked at the renderings. Some of them have very clear "views" of balconies. NONE of them show the "outside compressor thing" that was shown in the video above. Are we sure that this is the type of system that Ivy will have?

"College Students"

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha yeah ok

Next to empty nesters looking to downsize and/or work on their beer funnel technique.

There will be some that can afford it, no doubt, but they are on the "my dad sent me here hoping something useful will stick" plan.

• Like 2

Posted to Facebook today from a realtor:

Ivy Lofts (conveniently located in the EaDo area) is officially on the market and currently taking reservations for Phase I!!! It's the first micro style condo to hit the city of Houston and it is going to be a major game changer to the housing community. This opportunity is a perfect investment for anyone wanting to live downtown including (but not limited to) college students, working professionals and empty nesters looking to downsize.

Actually, for some college students or college student groups, this could be very appealing.  Were a school like TSU to jump in on a development like this and buy up some units, that could get the project moving pretty quickly.  

On a personal note, I would love to live in a space like this.  

I have looked at the renderings. Some of them have very clear "views" of balconies. NONE of them show the "outside compressor thing" that was shown in the video above. Are we sure that this is the type of system that Ivy will have?

My best guess would be that they're planning to hide them behind the railing screens.  If you look closely, the balcony is divided into the usable part and a tiny sliver about the size of the compressor unit.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpl1/v/t1.0-9/12509109_743751085757007_6077075368207744219_n.jpg?oh=13b12d2816298bd7056a691cc6853102&oe=57492F8C

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/12509089_743751115757004_7891471367653622488_n.jpg?oh=0cc8e62198d1cb40879344561124874b&oe=571137B4

My lord! You are likely quite right! I can see what you mean and I totally missed it!

Went to the "VIP Reservation Event" yesterday

They did a quick presentation showing the various floor plans and then did Q&A.  People could reserve units for $250.  There was a morning event which was apparently much larger than the 2:00pm event.  There were about 30 units reserved when I left with quite a few people still talking to agents.  

Ground breaking will be in August

Completion estimated August 2018 (I wonder if he misspoke on this, 2 yrs seems a long time?)

HOA fees will include ATT Digital Life home automation (remote light, doors, alarm, AC etc)

Sales center will open in March

SexGwT4.jpg

Edited by HoustonMidtown
  • Like 8

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2016/02/02/houstons-first-micro-unit-condo-project-attracts.html

In late January, the Houston-based developer held its first major sales event, which attracted more than 100 people. Re/Max Inner Loop, which is handling the marketing and sales for the project, said it secured sales reservations for 65 units inside The Ivy Lofts during the four-hour event. The brokerage plans to host another sales event later this month.

• Like 7