Ivy Lofts: Condominium High-Rise At 2604 Leeland St.

Could someone knowledgeable in the ways of real estate explain how this beautiful condo will be constructed soon, yet the 40 story block 98 apartment tower  near the sports and convention center as well as rail access to the theater and museum districts is being delayed.

The half block it's going to be built on is currently occupied by the construction trailers for the Marriott.  They can't build a tower until the Marriott finishes

• Like 1

Sounds like the building will have micro-units according to the FB description. If the price is right, the units will sell like hotcakes.

https://www.facebook.com/theivylofts/info/?tab=page_info

The Ivy Lofts is a revolutionary new style of downtown micro-living featuring stunning skyline views from EaDo

• Like 5

East Downtown can finally be taken seriously.

Looking forward to what else this brings the area.

The writing has been on the wall for a while, if not something that a lot of people have paid any attention to.

If this gets built then you can expect a ton of more development to follow. You always need just one developer to take the plunge and the rest follow. So this is actually pretty big if this gets built. 

Herrin lofts (I think that's the name, by the soccer stadium), those apartments that have been there for almost 10 years now, the tons of town houses over there, not a single one can be had for less than $350,000. 

Yeah, this will be huge for that corner of the near east end, it will help push the whole area over the edge it's been teetering for a while.

Long time lurker, first time poster. So first things first, thank you all for always keeping me up to date on what's happening with pictures and news. I look forward to contributing update photos of construction going on around the city.

These apartments are going to be huge for EaDo. Really excited about it and city view terrace. Only negative is that it is a decent walk to the nearest light rail station (9-10) blocks. 

• Like 7

Long time lurker, first time poster. So first things first, thank you all for always keeping me up to date on what's happening with pictures and news. I look forward to contributing update photos of construction going on around the city.

These apartments are going to be huge for EaDo. Really excited about it and city view terrace. Only negative is that it is a decent walk to the nearest light rail station (9-10) blocks. 

^^^ glad to have you dml423.  please post more...

I don't think many people consider the area that used to be part of the original 3rd ward that is northeast of the gulf freeway to be a part of 3rd ward. It's been over 50 years since the gulf freeway split that area from the rest of 3rd ward. It's been a part of the downtown super neighborhood for a while now, and you'd be hard pressed to find many people who identify the area now called Eado with the 3rd ward.

Since it was separated by the gulf freeway, it has really grown into its own unique part of the Houston fabric that is different from how the 3rd ward on the other side of the gulf freeway grew.

3rd ward has an amazing and rich history, and it has its own struggles with townhomes infiltrating and not a lot of money to fight to hold its own unique fabric together. I absolutely love the story of emancipation park, it really highlights the historic sense of community for the area.

• Like 4

doshi house is part of the transformation though lol.. man I love their cappucinos.

Yep, and as I stated...."Anyone who wants to move here and become part of this vibrant community, I believe, in large part is welcome." However, shops that sell coffee (Kaffeine) and vegan fare (Conscious Cafe) are not new to Third Ward anymore than Doshi House is "transformative". Doshi House is a great addition that enhances the community.  I concede that the $33 million renovation of Emancipation Park is transformative by its mere scale and scope, but its purpose is to enhance the Third Ward experience and to tell the Third Ward story in that Emancipation Park is the "birthplace" of Third Ward.

My larger point is that Third Ward, as with any community, has room for improvement--and plenty; but to assume that Third Ward needs to be "transformed" doesn't account for what the community already has.

Edited by quietstorm
  • Like 1

I'm a bit skeptical of this one, so I've tried doing some research without much success

The owner per the plat and HCAD is Novel Creative Development LLC

The given address per HCAD is

5713 160TH ST
FRESH MEADOWS NY 11365-1443

and per the plat it is
3711 Southmore Blvd #408
Houston, TX  77004

which is a unit in the Nubia Square apartments unless I am mistaken.  I can't really find anything associated with the addresses above

If you check google street view there was a for sale sign on the property back in September 2014 but it appears Novel has owned it since November 2014

Obviously this is a decent parcel of land so there is money behind this somewhere.  EaDo is a hot area but when you hear about first floor retail and then see that drone footage something just doesn't click - there's still a lot of vacant land/industrial/etc.  I guess in general that area is lacking retail so the townhouse development + however many people would be in this "mirco unit" tower could support something.  To me it just seems a bit early for something like this to pop up

Anyway, whatever the case I seriously doubt groundbreaking will be in a "few weeks".  Would be happy to come back and eat crow on this one, though, as I'd love to see towers on the east side of downtown
  • Like 1