Ivy Lofts: Condominium High-Rise At 2604 Leeland St.

On 12/5/2016 at 6:35 PM, Sanjorade said:

On facebook, they are advertising the development as being in downtown as opposed to "EaDo" .... seems a bit deceptive to me.

EaDo is part of the downtown super neighborhood.

http://www.houstontx.gov/superneighborhoods/snmapsbyzip.pdf

so there's no subterfuge to call that location, or any location in EaDo, Downtown.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

From Houston Chronicle:

Weitzman Group to lease retail space in East End's Ivy Lofts project

The Weitzman Group will handle leasing of 14,228 square feet of retail space on the street level of The Ivy Lofts, a 26-story condo building planned in the East End.

Novel Creative Development is developing the 448-unit project of micro condos at the southwest corner of Leeland Street and Live Oak Street.
Prices are expected to start below $160,000.

Randy Hopper and Edward Heap with The Weitzman Group are handling the assignment. The space is being marketed to unique, casual restaurants, small-shop retailers and services.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/bizfeed/article/Weitzman-Group-to-lease-retail-space-in-East-10808246.php?t=fc9853b27c438d9cbb&cmpid=twitter-premium

What I find crazy is projects like this go for street level retail yet many in downtown are not including any. Can someone explain how that makes any sense?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dml423 said:

What I find crazy is projects like this go for street level retail yet many in downtown are not including any. Can someone explain how that makes any sense?

It's pretty simple. Most developers know what they're doing - these guys don't. With that being said, I really hope they do succeed, as this would be a game changer for the area.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, HoustonMidtown said:

I wonder if they have given up on this one - there were no cars in the parking/sales lot today - the shrubs by the entrance are dead, the signs on the building are gone.....

I don't know.  It does seem to me that these developers either didn't understand the Houston Market and how it is different than NYC or they were simply a few years too early --- perhaps in a few years Houston will be ready for "micro" units (or perhaps not). It is hard being first --- it is hard to set the trend --- and these folks either knew that they were early and took a calculated risk to be first to market or were blind to the Houston market and went ahead anyway.

either way, they are now sitting on a nice piece of property that they can likely flip for a profit or hold a few more years and give something another go!

• Like 1

Probably a case of driver's blindness - its on Leeland (which has a rail stop just .7 miles away) and looks pretty close on a map.  When they bought the lot for this development, I bet you they drove there as opposed to taking the Purple line

• Like 4

when this was proposed, the rail line wasn't open yet. 

But, to your point, I bet they didn't get out of their vehicles at the location on Leeland and walk to down to Scott street.

it is very bike friendly location though, less than half a mile to a dedicated bike path.

Imagine though, a concept like the ivy near the soccer stadium, like where the circuit apartments are. that could maybe work. and that's maybe.

• Like 5

That's part of it, I don't remember when the rail opened and this tower was proposed, or the rail was proposed or anyone knew where it was going to be proposed. (Which begs political and legal questions, I suddenly realize.) 

And I'm not saying I don't like the idea. On the whole, I do. 

But a part of me is playing imaginary sims. The "concept" (as you put it well) by the soccer stadium or even along the rail on the UH side of 45. 

Tangent: The Gensler by Design crew has a supercool concept very near the soccer stadium title Loop 720. 

Edited by EllenOlenska
  • Like 3

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • The title was changed to Ivy Lofts: 28-Story Residential High-Rise East Of Downtown
  • The title was changed to Ivy Lofts: Condominium High-Rise At 2604 Leeland St.