Lego Houston Skyline

cspwal

Wasn't sure if this really fit into the Photographing Houston Forum, so here's a the skyline of Houston made with Legos

Each brick is 3 floors, and the buildings are all about to scale.  All proposed developments except 6 Houston center are included, but the skyline ends at Clay street because I ran out of plates to build on

21808772398_91a3217da2_k.jpgHouston Skyline from the West by Christopher Hisle, on Flickr

21375485513_7729b623fe_k.jpgHouston Skyline from the East by Christopher Hisle, on Flickr

Also would like to point out the BofA should be the third tallest Downtown. Would have made 1 Shell Plaza a 2x4 also. I know you're working with a limited base (grass), piece, but there should be more than one piece for the street. There are some other buildings that are taller than they should be, including Fulbright, 1 Houston Center, the new residential tower...

I don't think the smiley face is on 800 Bell, isn't that Hess Tower? I don't see 800 Bell, is the dark one is the Wedge International correct?

Sorry don't take this too seriously. You did a really great job and that last picture looks awesome.

Yeah I got the Bank of America building scale wildly wrong.  I had issues trying to figure out how to do the staggered roof peaks that I didn't think about the height as much as I should have.  

And yeah the one with the smiley is supposed to be the 40 story block 98 residential tower next to the Hess building.  

The difference in floor height between parking garages, commercial buildings, and residential buildings seem to be why some of the towers are out of scale.

The scale I used was this:

1 stud width = a street + sidewalks (I estimated that as about 60 feet)

4 stud width = width of a block (which I think is 330 feet in Houston?  I read that somewhere a while ago)

1 block high = 3 floors.  So a 9 story parking garage would be the same height as a 9 story office building.  This caused the most problems, and I reduced the size of a lot of the parking garages to try to fit them in with the neighboring buildings

If I redo this, it will probably be to a tighter scale actually using feet : inches

Of course I might redo it so that I can make the light rail in there for scale....

Yeah I got the Bank of America building scale wildly wrong.  I had issues trying to figure out how to do the staggered roof peaks that I didn't think about the height as much as I should have.  

And yeah the one with the smiley is supposed to be the 40 story block 98 residential tower next to the Hess building.  

The difference in floor height between parking garages, commercial buildings, and residential buildings seem to be why some of the towers are out of scale.

The scale I used was this:

1 stud width = a street + sidewalks (I estimated that as about 60 feet)

4 stud width = width of a block (which I think is 330 feet in Houston?  I read that somewhere a while ago)

1 block high = 3 floors.  So a 9 story parking garage would be the same height as a 9 story office building.  This caused the most problems, and I reduced the size of a lot of the parking garages to try to fit them in with the neighboring buildings

If I redo this, it will probably be to a tighter scale actually using feet : inches

Of course I might redo it so that I can make the light rail in there for scale....

And don't forget most of the buildings don't take up a full block ;)

Archived