Urbannizer

Franklin + Milam: 10-Story Garage

123 posts in this topic

Well atleast it's better than a parking lot, and on the plus side it's not a bland parking garage. So It could have been alot worse. lol...

Edited by JoninATX

I partially agree, but Potemkin store fronts?  Still have trouble believing I read this correctly, sounds so bizarre

1 person likes this

On 11/7/2016 at 1:52 AM, JoninATX said:

Well atleast it's better than a parking lot, and on the plus side it's not a bland parking garage. So It could have been alot worse. lol...

No offense intended, but what could possibly be blander than the ten story tall blank wall this thing is going to present to anybody driving towards it on Milam on their way into downtown?  If there's been a proposal to do some sort of tromp l'oel mural like what was on the Memorial City garages or the blank Travis side of the older building down near Bell, it hasn't been publicized too well.

2 people like this

If they do a mural, I hope the execution is  better than the one on the parking garage behind the new ZaZA and Aire Liquide near Memorial City.

I've seen better murals painted by high school kids.

On 11/17/2016 at 3:55 PM, mollusk said:

No offense intended, but what could possibly be blander than the ten story tall blank wall this thing is going to present to anybody driving towards it on Milam on their way into downtown?  If there's been a proposal to do some sort of tromp l'oel mural like what was on the Memorial City garages or the blank Travis side of the older building down near Bell, it hasn't been publicized too well.

On 11/17/2016 at 3:55 PM, mollusk said:

Apologize for the late response. But imo this garage looks to me 100x better than a normal bland parking garage. Take for instance that monstrosity that they built next to the convention center recently. A ugly garage with no detail or design to make it look different. I agree, it is sad that it's another parking garage but I'm excited that developers atleast put some effort into it other than looking bland like most garages these days. :)

Hey I'll take a parking garage over a parking lot any day. I'm just gald they aren't destroying the entire lot to build one garage. Multiple structures on one lot is good. 

3 people like this

I guess they won't get a tower crane for this project. Consolidated Crane has a crawler crane onsite.

dmoqpyK.jpg

dHv5o2Q.jpg

4 people like this

The building to the left of the crawler crane looks it's a garage the crane just came out of

Precast garage.

qaRhXtk.jpg

2 people like this

Update.  This thing is a looker.

If this turns into a giant mural, cool.  If not, pitchforks.

IMG_0497.JPG

5 people like this

13 hours ago, kbates2 said:

Update.  This thing is a looker.

If this turns into a giant mural, cool.  If not, pitchforks.

IMG_0497.JPG

I do not know why, but for some strange reason I like that... I agree though that a mural would be great!

1 person likes this

Yuck!  I know that Houston developers, in keeping costs down, tend to build the cheapest garages possible.  However, I wonder if they overlook possibilities to distinguish their product that don't add much to the budget.  Like the vine-covered trellises I've seen on garages in other cities.  Perhaps there are one or two here that I can't recall?

Are we sure it's a garage?  Looks to me like that are starting to build a pyramid to bury Khufu right here in Houston!  BIG tourist attraction, I think.

2 people like this

I don't blame the developers. They care only about the bottom line. It is up to the City or at least the historic district to implement some design requirements. Very few cities would allow this to go up. 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, KinkaidAlum said:

I don't blame the developers. They care only about the bottom line. It is up to the City or at least the historic district to implement some design requirements. Very few cities would allow this to go up. 

And even fewer cities would allow historic structures to be bulldozed.

welcome to Houston, Y'all.  The city of "we don't care what it looks like as long as it meets fire code.

2 people like this

Looks like a good shelter during a hurricane or tornado. No chance anyone is going to drive off this thing. I agree with Utterly Urban. Throw in a few mummies and you've got both a tourist attraction and parking revenue and a hurricane shelter.

What have I... what have I... what have I done to deserve this?

What have I... what have I... what have I done to deserve this?

1 person likes this

I do not see a tree. Looks like three more stories to go before this beauty is topped out. Too bad it's not thirty stories. Could be our new signature building in Houston. I suggest a name. Could be called the Big Tu-d.

Even if it's an ugly parking garage, it will mean more people will be able to shop, eat, and drink/party in downtown. 

1 person likes this

Right, because parking downtown, drinking, and then driving back to the suburbs is such a great idea.

3 people like this