Urbannizer

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/21/2017 at 10:59 PM, Texasota said:

Right, because parking downtown, drinking, and then driving back to the suburbs is such a great idea.

It's kind of what we're known for round these parts. 

I'm referencing the DWI fatalities in Harris co. 

I'm sorry but nothing about this thread makes any sense.

Bottom line the city has no balls, the developers have no scruples and the citizens get screwed. 

Who has to live with it the rest of its life.

We all do.

We'll never learn. 

This could have been so much better. And this is Houston's front porch.

On the positive side, a cheap precast garage means this is just a stand-in to make more profit than a lot could make until a better use for the land is found. If they spent extra on trellises and gargoyles and other flair that would signal to me they intend to keep this as a garage for quite a while. Once market demand dictates better financial use for the land, they likely won't hesitate to tear down the boring garage and build a better and bigger building--to make more money.

Also, the huge blank wall signals to me they anticipate the neighboring parking lot being developed near-term. Why have anything more than a blank wall when building to the lot line intrablock? A mural (or an advertising profit motive) would be a great possibility until the lot next door is developed.

On 4/20/2017 at 6:40 PM, UtterlyUrban said:

It might as well be painted with the words "Houston's design and planning process is effectivity useless and inept and every elected politician in the city should be ashamed"......

Crushed it.

For those of you who don't know... The HAHC tried hard to get this to be as best as possible. The historic guidelines are weak... which mean they can be legally challenged. They requested for this to represent a store front. "Brick" was demanded. You see the result... The developers technically met all requirements. For  those of you who hate this garage, or even see this as a disappointing development, stricter guidelines and HAHC oversight could allow us to legally demand better. Just take a look at Hines' garage at Aris. That could be the standard. Unfortunately, we have a long way to go.

Looks fine by me, muralists will come knocking, & anyways this is the historic district, they get all the niceties unlike say southeast downtown. Like I said before, this means the parking in front (along Franklin going east) is now redundant and that space can be re-designed This is where political will power would be applied more productively in the short term. Also what's to stop a future developer putting a stick-frame high rise on top of the garage? That's how I see all the garages in the parking garage district (~Milam@Clay).That crustation parking lot, while banal was the real problem of place making but no one really cared or noticed because their was no "improvement" to make judgement about aesthetics. 

9 hours ago, infinite_jim said:

Also what's to stop a future developer putting a stick-frame high rise on top of the garage? That's how I see all the garages in the parking garage district (~Milam@Clay).

Physics?

Archived