Beltway 8 / Ship Channel Bridge Replacement

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/transportation/2018/06/01/288149/work-starts-on-billion-dollar-project-to-replace-houston-ship-channel-toll-bridge/amp/

This may not be the right place for this, but how nice to have a bridge with design elements. It should be able to be seen from near downtown. 

• Like 1

Maybe the "Transportation" subforum would be better, but this looks like something of a landmark in the making. If growth projections are to be believed, we're going to need it.

Although, one quote caught my eye...

Driving along the roadway you will see a beautiful cable-stayed bridge with towers over 500 feet tall, providing aesthetic lighting at night for a completely immersive experience.

There's a body of water down there, you know...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

I remember when a company I used to work for was part of a bid package for this project. They were a subcontractor to a larger firm. They won the project but the Harris County stepped in and asked each company on the bid for donations and those that didn't, like the company I worked for, were kicked off the bid. 

2 hours ago, Nate99 said:

Maybe the "Transportation" subforum would be better, but this looks like something of a landmark in the making. If growth projections are to be believed, we're going to need it.

Although, one quote caught my eye...

There's a body of water down there, you know...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dakota79 said:

This may not be the right place for this, but how nice to have a bridge with design elements. It should be able to be seen from near downtown. 

Yes, it should.  Given a clear enough view, you can see the Hartman bridge from downtown - which is several miles further away. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thatguysly said:

I remember when a company I used to work for was part of a bid package for this project. They were a subcontractor to a larger firm. They won the project but the Harris County stepped in and asked each company on the bid for donations and those that didn't, like the company I worked for, were kicked off the bid. 

If true, shouldn't that information be shared with the district attorney?

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Company blamed for Miami bridge collapse working on Ship Channel bridge project

An independent review of the design of a bridge being built across the Houston Ship Channel on Sam Houston Tollway is underway. The review follows a national report chiefly blaming the bridge’s designer for a fatal bridge collapse near Miami, officials in Harris County said Thursday.

• Sad 1

On 12/7/2019 at 6:20 PM, BeerNut said:

An understandable knee jerk reaction, however, these bridges, though they are both cable stay, are completely different in design and construction. Plus the bridge that is being constructed right now has already successfully been constructed numerous times, and its why FIGG got the job in the first place. Again. I get it. Got to cover all bases and all a$$es, but I think this is much ado about nothing. My guess is that their over experience in road bridge design made then greatly underestimate the needs for a pedestrian bridge design, but they have a stellar track record with road bridge design.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Engineers raise ‘significant concerns’ over design of $1 billion Ship Channel Bridge

Designers of the $1 billion Ship Channel Bridge project made faulty assumptions about the soil around the bridge’s critical supports above and below ground, did not properly account for winds on the stability of the supports and failed to factor in the weight of two-way traffic on the southbound span while the northbound structure is built, according to engineers hired by the county to review the plan.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 6

On 3/19/2020 at 1:38 AM, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

rip it down and hire someone competent.

That's probably the exact thing that's going to have to happen. Unless there's some way to add extra supports but if there's a problem with the very foundation, I imagine they would have to demo and start over. @Purdueenginerd ?

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Is there any update on this.  The HCTRA is not being transparent at all on this.  They said the project would be on hold for 2 weeks.  Is there a solution? What is it? How much will it cost the taxpayers?  The taxpayers have a right to know.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Harris County may remove designer of $1 billion Houston Ship Channel bridge today; $417 million already spent

On Tuesday, Harris County Commissioners plan to debate and vote on whether or not to remove FIGG Bridge Engineers from the nearly $1,000,000,000 Houston Ship Channel Bridge Replacement Project.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/11/2020 at 9:12 PM, BeerNut said:

Good? right? The $417 million isn't wasted. I'm sure another firm can pick up the torch and make improvements to what has been built... with significant additional funding I'm sure.

What a wonderful bubble we live in on HAIF. Even Reddit to an extent. Scum of the earth on the local news channel comments.

• Like 4

On 8/13/2020 at 9:09 AM, Montrose1100 said:

Good? right? The $417 million isn't wasted. I'm sure another firm can pick up the torch and make improvements to what has been built... with significant additional funding I'm sure.

What a wonderful bubble we live in on HAIF. Even Reddit to an extent. Scum of the earth on the local news channel comments.

image.png.89ec3c5a9f41590cc4d703a968808672.png

So you're saying this comment doesn't add to the discussion? Huh who would've thought...

• Like 1