Dallas - Houston HSR Station

cspwal

Where do you want the Texas Central Station be?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the station be?

• Downtown
    • NW Mall site
    • Near IAH
    • South Houston location
    • Out west along 99/beltway 8/highway 6
    • Somewhere else...

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good idea, I'd rather have the main TCR thread about project updates and discussion on the project as a whole. 

Advantage to downtown site: 

-Connection with METRORail (and thus access to downtown, museum district, UH, TMC and Reliant quickly without a car)

-More centrally located, closer to Downtown, TMC, Greenway, major universities, both airports, museum area, etc. 

-Closer/better access to more freeways and also the potential for a development that would incorporate Amtrak and Greyhound terminals (unlikely but nice to have the option in the future)

Advantage to 290 location: 

-Closer to uptown, energy corridor, western suburbs

-POTENTIAL connection to BRT system up Post Oak (not sure if it will go all the way to NW Mall)

-SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper, which is really why TCR is considering this site in the first place

No it should be the HSR station is at NW mall, but a maglev train connects it to downtown, IAH, and the woodlands

See now I would like that also... I guess my train of thought is if people are being dumped downtown then it will force retail and other developments due to the huge increase of people.

Bush Airport to downtown.

Knock out two birds with one stone.

Unfortunately I think we'll have to wait for this one.

I would like to see IAH-Downtown-HOU eventually. No stops in between. Of course, I guess you extend that same line north to the Wood Hood, and south to GTown. But that's another story.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't ( or wasn't) there an "intermodal" station noted for land just north and west of the downtown CBD, on original plans for the Red Line?  I always expected that could be the place that intercity bullet transport, and possibly commuter rail, was to intersect the Houston light rail network.  I'm not sure, but I think the intermodal location would have had something in common with planned Hardy Yards redevelopment?

From I-10 to 290, all of the cleared land is designated a High Capacity Transit Corridor.

Thanks.  I found what you are apparently referring to.   The plans show a 50-foot corridor running north from the Northwest Transit Center to Hempstead Highway, and then following the Hempstead Highway corridor out to the northwest, meeting up with 290 just west of the Beltway. 

How about some meaningful info.

www.texascentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Step-1-Screening-of-Corridor-Alternatives-Report.pdf

Page 111 of the pdf shows a Houston station location comparison chart. Several other very interesting pages as well.

Also a quote: "Based on this initial screening, the preferred station area for Houston is the location around the intersection of US 290 and IH-610" on page 112.

This pretty much says it all;

It is recognized that development of the “Last Mile” into heavily urbanized and developed areas may generate additional ridership demand, particularly with respect to trip destinations. However, reaching the downtown station locations would require significant construction costs and result in additional impacts that would likely not be offset by the additional revenue gained from the ridership increase. Moreover, from the perspective of trip originations, there has been some evidence on HSR systems worldwide that suburban stations are more attractive since users of the system would not need to make their way into the urban core to begin their trip to a distant city. The identification of the preferred station locations has been the subject of significant ridership and engineering studies and will be documented separately from this report.

Archived