Near North Side Projects

adr

This townhouse development was posted here on HAIF a while back.  I wonder why they didn't name it Cavalcade Station, instead of Fulton Station.  It is, after all, located right by the Cavalcade Metro Rail station.

In any event, the streets have been poured and utilities are in. They are currently putting up fencing.  I suspect townhome construction will start soon.

• 3 months later...

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:54 AM, cspwal said:

Why does this not connect to the street grid?  Would be so much nicer

Not necessarily. It is probably easier to exit onto Sharman Street than Cavalcade especially so close to the major intersection with Fulton. If I were driving into town I would exit the complex turning south on Sharman then take the next street east toward Fulton. I that way I wouldn't be at the mercy of someone on Cavalcade letting me into the queue at the light.

Yet another of Houston's infamous "construction delays".

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) --

Construction delays have left one of the city's oldest neighborhoods looking like a crater-filled war zone, according to residents.

It's in the historic Sixth Ward near Sabine and Decatur where the problems are piling up. The street is impassable, leaving people to park blocks away as they try to navigate through the now unpaved road.

52 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

Yet another of Houston's infamous "construction delays".

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) --

Construction delays have left one of the city's oldest neighborhoods looking like a crater-filled war zone, according to residents.

It's in the historic Sixth Ward near Sabine and Decatur where the problems are piling up. The street is impassable, leaving people to park blocks away as they try to navigate through the now unpaved road.

This is not in the near northside. This is on the Washington ave corridor, which are found under the heights. Mods - please move this.

Thanks 

6 minutes ago, Avossos said:

This is not in the near northside. This is on the Washington ave corridor, which are found under the heights. Mods - please move this.

Thanks 

Sorry about that. 
I'm unclear as to what falls into the category of "Near Northside".  What are its approximate boundaries?
Thanks in advance.

36 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

Sorry about that. 
I'm unclear as to what falls into the category of "Near Northside".  What are its approximate boundaries?
Thanks in advance.

East of 45 North

North of I-10

West of 59/69 North

South of Calvacade 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://www.virtualbx.com/construction-preview/houston-affordable-housing-project-fulton-lofts-overcomes-neighborhood-opposition/

Houston (Harris County) – The Planning Commission approved a street waiver variance for an affordable workforce housing project, despite opposition from the neighborhood.

The project, Fulton Lofts, was before the commission May 10 to avoid an ordinance requirement to extend Dunlop Street on its development with a road extension or cul-de-sac because it was previously platted as a “Business Reserve” in the Lindale Oaks subdivision of Lindale Park in the Near Northside.

“Without the approval of the variance to not require the extension of Dunlop Street, this project cannot happen,” the staff report to commissioners stated.

The 1.46-acre site is on a lot that has been vacant for many years. It is at the southwest corner of Fulton Street and Robert Lee Road and is directly adjacent to a light rail line.

The developers, Fulton Lofts Advisors LLC and Mark-Dana Corporation, plan an 80-unit affordable housing multifamily community and they have a 9 percent Housing Tax Credit financing application pending with the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs.

The ground floor will include an amenity center, a swimming pool and parking structure with three stories of apartment units stacked above.

According to the city staff report, “Ninety-Five percent of the units will serve families that make 60 percent of the area median income or less and the rents will be set at affordable levels as required under the Housing Tax Credit program. Each apartment unit will include nine foot ceilings, a full energy star appliance package, washer/dryer hookups and all living rooms and bedrooms will have ceiling fans. All units will have balconies. The buildings will be designed to maximize energy efficiency. The design will feature 100% masonry exterior (brick, cultured stone, stucco and/or hardi), architectural roofing, smoke detectors, and wiring for phone, cable and data service (CAT5e).

“Great improvements will be made not only to the 15-foot Pedestrian Realm, but also to the other surrounding rights-of-way. Enhanced landscaping, 6-foot-wide concrete sidewalks, lighting, park benches and other amenities will be an added benefit to the proposed apartments, as well as, the public, as this area begins to transition with the new development in the area. ”

Several neighbors and representatives of the neighborhood association objected, not to the apartment project, but to the waiver, claiming the traffic was already bad and a reliever street was much needed. There were also a few who spoke in favor of the project.

FultonLofts-a-facade.jpg

FultonLofts-a-streetview.jpg

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

The city of Houston approved $3.4M in project funding to local nonprofit affordable housing developer Avenue. The developer will soon construct Avenue Center, a mixed-use community resource center on Houston's north side. The project is expected to break ground in the second quarter and open in early 2020.  

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/affordable-housing/city-of-houston-approves-34m-affordable-housing-project-97747#ath?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...