Moving without a definite plan

IronTiger

Never thought I'd post in this board, but...

I graduated from college almost a year ago, and I'm still stuck in College Station with a near minimum-wage job. I've managed to get interviewed in Houston no less than four times, and all have been busts so far. So, with the meager ownings saved up from miscellaneous years, I'm considering just moving there to live in a larger area with the classical "leave home to seek fortunes" plan. I already have an idea of where I'm moving, it's just I have no idea if it's any better than what I've got now. I basically feel like I'm out of options, and my job here (and other prospects) is going nowhere. What do you guys think? Is it worth it?

I did the same thing straight out of college.  New degree, no job, no interviews.  Just packed up the car and drove from Waco to Atlanta.  I had a few thousand in the bank and some friends who were finishing up at Georgia Tech and needed a roommate.  Spent a couple of months kicking around town til I found a job and the rest is history.  If you're young and single, now's the time to do it.  Later on you'll have kids and a mortgage and just picking up and moving will seem like crazy talk.

What is your degree in?  There are a lot of people with varied backgrounds/jobs on this forum - you never know who might have an opening or know someone...

With regards to your question - if you're not making progress in College Station then it's time for a change....as others have said, do it now before you have lots of responsibilities...

Best of luck !!

Get out of college station. There are plenty of min wage jobs here you can land in the meantime. A lot of places won't hire people from a dif city since they're worried they'll flake out, start date will be delayed, or want relocation help. Tell people you already live here and your job prospects will improve greatly.

Get out of college station. There are plenty of min wage jobs here you can land in the meantime. A lot of places won't hire people from a dif city since they're worried they'll flake out, start date will be delayed, or want relocation help. Tell people you already live here and your job prospects will improve greatly.

I always was suspicious about that fact. One business in Dallas that I interviewed at told me straight up they hired someone local.

I always was suspicious about that fact. One business in Dallas that I interviewed at told me straight up they hired someone local.

Thats pretty crappy in my opinion and if they were smart and wanted the best people then it wouldn't matter where they are from. The firm I'm in now is like that. If they want someone then they will go out and hire them no matter where they are from. Be glad you weren't hired because that doesn't sound like a place you want to go.

Anyway. Dude just take the dive and do it. You can't wait for success to happen you have to go and find it. I'm kinda doing the same thing, but with grad school. I knew a bunch of my peers who were satisfied with just staying in college station or going to school in state or even a few states over, but I wanted to separate myself and I'm moving to Germany and going to school there. A enormous risk btw, but I wanted to make a huge change in my life and so I went for it.

Moving is a big risk, but if you really want things to change at some point you just have to take the plunge! Good Luck to you. Sure the oil industry is now in a down turn here, but there are people hiring left and right in this town! Don't wait another second. Find a place to land and then if you still can't find the job you want then just start working your way up and eventually you will have to land something just by shear odds alone!

Thats pretty crappy in my opinion and if they were smart and wanted the best people then it wouldn't matter where they are from. The firm I'm in now is like that. If they want someone then they will go out and hire them no matter where they are from. Be glad you weren't hired because that doesn't sound like a place you want to go.

Anyway. Dude just take the dive and do it. You can't wait for success to happen you have to go and find it. I'm kinda doing the same thing, but with grad school. I knew a bunch of my peers who were satisfied with just staying in college station or going to school in state or even a few states over, but I wanted to separate myself and I'm moving to Germany and going to school there. A enormous risk btw, but I wanted to make a huge change in my life and so I went for it.

Moving is a big risk, but if you really want things to change at some point you just have to take the plunge! Good Luck to you. Sure the oil industry is now in a down turn here, but there are people hiring left and right in this town! Don't wait another second. Find a place to land and then if you still can't find the job you want then just start working your way up and eventually you will have to land something just by shear odds alone!

I have a Bachelor of Science but not in O&G. Honestly, I feel that it was a good thing in some ways that they told me the truth because that was a factor that I never thought about.

Moving without a plan is actually a plan, right?

I mean, you have a plan:

1) move

2) find a place to crash

3) find some crappy job to pay the bills

4) immediately begin looking for work in your chosen field (and/or something much better than your crappy job).

That sounds like a plan to me.

I'd reverse numbers 1 and 2 if you can.  If you've got an amenable friend or relative in town, use their address when applying for a job so you appear local until you can actually be local.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to echo everyone's opinions.  Just do it!  :)  Moving is hard, but from what you've told us, it sounds like something you really want to do.  The unknown is always scary at first, but the new experiences end up enriching your life and making you a better person in the long run.

I recently moved away from Houston after living there for 25 years.  It is a very dynamic city, and there is almost always something under construction.  People on this forum, who are interested in that sort of thing, basically get free entertainment watching their surroundings change.

One last word of advice: the moving process is a lot like removing a band-aid; it is much less painful if you do it quickly!

• 2 weeks later...

The interview may have fallen through. What type of places even offer full time jobs in the southern Houston area? I can't stay here any longer.

You can't give up after one interview. Go grab a part time while you're looking for full time. Costco, Home Depot, Whole Foods, Starbucks, etc. Look at the hospitals in the TMC. Thousands of openings for part/full time work.

• 4 weeks later...

You should watch the movie The Secret of My Success.

It's a great tale of love and intrigue, but mainly it's a story about a guy who recently graduated from college and his ascension to heights unimaginable.

Use that as a template for how you solidify your position in Houston.

It's also got a classic 80s soundtrack and Michael J. Fox at the height of his acting career, so that's pretty good too.

Never thought I'd post in this board, but...

I graduated from college almost a year ago, and I'm still stuck in College Station with a near minimum-wage job. I've managed to get interviewed in Houston no less than four times, and all have been busts so far. So, with the meager ownings saved up from miscellaneous years, I'm considering just moving there to live in a larger area with the classical "leave home to seek fortunes" plan. I already have an idea of where I'm moving, it's just I have no idea if it's any better than what I've got now. I basically feel like I'm out of options, and my job here (and other prospects) is going nowhere. What do you guys think? Is it worth it?

If you haven't found a place to live, I have 2 vacant rent homes in Oak Forest.  Good luck in job search.  You will find your future & take time to smell the roses.

Archived