Shipping Containers--Huntsville

EllenOlenska

I'm a graduate student in English and Publishing at Sam Houston State. I want to be a professor (though I have had thoughts of going into real estate and development.) I moved apartments this year, and went to a lower priced affair that actually was a stack of shipping containers. Other than the fact that sound reverberates outside and in (and how it does) I've liked it quite a lot, and wondered why such cheap projects weren't more normalized. To say that a different way, why haven't I seen more, and would any engineers explain the physiology of these structures.

I know in Houston you can't, or at least, it takes a really long time to get things approved for re-appropriating shipping containers for use as a building as they are very non-standard so they don't know how to treat them.

Around the world there's a lot of projects that have been done with shipping containers. I know in Amsterdam they built some student housing with them.

http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/sustainable-earth/pictures-amsterdam-shipping-container-homes/#/rio-20-un-climate-conference-shipping-container-homes-student_54417_600x450.jpg

They look better than in the pictures, actually...the insides are quite nice. Wood floors and a surprising amount of space. They're renting them for about a dollar a square foot--which is a lot better than the old garden style apartments. From what I understand they're doing them in Brooklyn as well as Amsterdam. It reminds me of that Lawyer's train-car office exiting 45 North into Downtown.

It might have been discussed before but it's new to me! It looks great - though the article didn't seem to mention what the selling price was when they finished...

HCAD's appraised value in 2011 (a couple of years after this piece was written) was 269K, and their stated market values for 2014 and 2015 are running 100K+ over appraised value. My guess is the sales price was in the 250-300K range.

http://hcad.org/records/details.asp?crypt=%94%9A%B0%94%BFg%84%90%82zqd%8El%87tXt%5BW%9E%99%A2%D3%89%95%C2e%7CU%8A%81%86%C0%AB%A8%AD%86%5E&bld=1&tab=3

• 2 weeks later...

Archived