Colonial House Apartments At 5815 Gulfton St.

Disastro

Anybody have an Colonial House stories? LMAO!!! What was that dudes name who used to advertise them on TV? And didn't that place get seedy like the Carrousel motel? LMAO!!!!

I think the place was over on Gulfton, right?

It was in what is now the Gulfton Getto. I believe I remember the guys name being Michael Pollock. The only thing I remember is everyone refered to them as Venerial House.

joe

It was in what is now the Gulfton Getto. I believe I remember the guys name being Michael Pollock. The only thing I remember is everyone refered to them as Venerial House.

joe

BWHAHAHAHHA!!! Yeah, Michael Pollock....lol

My wife calls Colonial House Venerial House and asked me to start this thread... :lol:

• 8 years later...

I lived there for a brief and unfortunate stage of my life. Actually, I think it had changed names. It was in 1989, well past its heyday. It was more cracktown than swingers colony by that time. It wasn't horrible but I was eager to leave it and move to Galveston for school.

I know someone that grew up in Meyerland and they told me that Colonial House was also known as "Venereal House" back in the 70's-early 80's.

As part of the target market at the time, I can confirm this. 

Those of us who were living in Montrose then also referred to that general area as "plastic apartment city" with what would later develop into the Hipster Sneer.

• 7 months later...

So, I was looking at old yellow pages the other day at the library downtown, and I couldn't find Colonial House in the '82-'83 directories. I did find the following however...

Gulfton Square Apartments II - 5700 Gulfton

Gulfton Square Apartments One - 5860 Gulfton (due to my poor notes, this one may have been II and the one above I)

Gulf Gardens North - 5701 Gulfton

All of these seem to be the modern Lantern Village apartments now. Were they all legally operating under different names, or did Colonial House break up that early before heading toward a fast decline?

• 6 months later...

I just came across this video on YouTube, Documentary on Houston TX in the 80's (1989) , which gives us a little more footage of Colonial House, and shows some of the raging parties that went on there.  I have to admit, I've never seen an entire pool made into a giant margarita.  The party starts at about 5:45:

It just keeps getting better!  I stumbled across this 13 minute video called  KBEL KLOSE-UP featuring MICHAEL POLLACK , in which Michael Pollack, residents, and employees are interviewed by Bellaire High School students in 1985 about the all new Colonial House.  The interview even includes a tour of the Dream Suite!  Plenty of 80's cheese going on.  Surely, almost no one has seen this!  Enjoy!

• The title was changed to Colonial House Apartments At 5815 Gulfton St.

Archived